Poll: 2021 Valentine's Winter Storm -> What did you have to do without?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What did you have to do without?

• Water

Votes: 18 34.0%
    • Electricity

Votes: 27 50.9%
    • Food

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Shelter

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Nothing

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    We had days without electricity but I was out of state & brought home a 7500W generator. That will work until we get a whole-house generator.

Currently with intermittent water. Came home, turned on the water, and found 2 leaks in the ceilings. One was a cracked 90 degree 1/2" copper elbow. I heated it up & replaced the elbow.

The other is 1/2" soft copper line with lots of corrosion & 5 slow pin hole leaks I can see within about 6 feet. Can't see any further right now. I have no idea why it is so corroded. I want to replace the whole line but it's probably 30 feet long & above a decorative tin ceiling. SOB.

I say intermittent bc I patched some of the leaks in the soft copper & can turn water on long enough to SSS without a major leak.
    Target Sports

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I think some electrical providers have some splanin to do, WE are on El Paso electric's power and we lost nothing. We weren't as extremely cold as some. However, our last cold snap took us to -30 with the wind chill and everything stayed up. Heat tape and insulation on all exposited plumbing kept water running from our domestic well.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    No electricity for 34 hours straight. No furnace. House got down to 43 at the end. Got to wear a lot of the things I bought when I was contracting in NE Ohio. Likewise the bedding we had up there resulted in warm sleeping. BTW up there -10 was routine at night and it snowed all the time but lights never even blinked. Years ago in TN we were out for a whole week due to an ice storm. Electric company came into our rural community and said if you folks clear your line we will try to get you back on. We came together as a large group, mostly members of an extended family, with axes, chainsaws and poles for knocking ice off lines that were sagged unbelievably and the lights came on at bedtime. We had lived, cooked, and slept in front of a large wood burning fireplace the whole time but I could go to the office and shower and shave after the first day or two. Much younger then too.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    “Years ago in TN we were out for a whole week due to an ice storm.”

Was that the one in ‘93? What part of TN were you in?

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Being new here in the great state of Texas, I’m staying in a 30’ pull behind. The weather was a challenge, but nothing that couldn’t be overcome.
    I lost water for 3 or 4 days, but had 35 gallons in my freshwater tank. Power was out for 2 days, but I still had battery power, so the furnace still worked, and I could recharge from my truck.

Internet was really spotty due to cell towers going down.

I maintained lights, heat and water through the duration, so I feel very lucky.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    NW ATX

Lost water for a couple of days, still have boil order in effect.

Never lost power (NOT Austin Energy, we have PEC). Speculation is that because of a lift station about 1 mile from us, this circuit was one of the protected ones, and not part of the rolling outages.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    lost water for 3 almost 4 days. Power was in and out. We managed. I had plenty of bottled water and we cooked when the power was on. I'll be making arrangements for next time. It will happen again, it's not if but when. I see what holes are in my preparedness now and I'm going to make the necessary changes.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had to do without peace & quiet due to having a bunch of family over that lost power.

I only lost internet.
    Did you notice how the battery in your phone wasn't lasting as long with the internet out? My phone needed charging every day, when internet is working every other day it needed a charge.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Did you notice how the battery in your phone wasn't lasting as long with the internet out? My phone needed charging every day, when internet is working every other day it needed a charge.

It was probably using more energy by constantly searching for a network. Or I'm an idiot & don't know what I'm talking about. Which definitely means I should post my opinion and stand by it. LOL.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We were blessed and lost nothing. Power was out at the house for ~16 hours or so mostly during the day on Weds., but we just hung out until the evening and then went to some friends house for dinner and drinks. We were making plans to spend the night and went home to grab toiletries and such, found the power was back on so we stayed home. Left the (gas, enclosed) fireplace running on Weds., temp in the house never dipped below 64. Had a family stay with us the previous two nights while their power was out, which turned out to be a good time as well. We're already scoping out a whole-house CNG generator though.

The neighborhood has been amazing, pitching in space, heat, power, skills, food, equipment, repair stuff. A lot of homes had plumbing failures.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Electricity was intermittent, came back Thursday. Got water pipes repaired Saturday and unfrozen late Saturday. Ran out of propane to cook, heat, and water heater and still can't get a delivery.

Plenty of food, water, and firewood. It was a good test run for preparation. Found out my genny doesn't run in high humidity frozen temps because it freezes the carburetor.

I have a feeling this won't be the last time for cold blasts like this with GSM taking full effect in the 25th cycle.

Need to get more Sterno fuel and a few other items. The son and I had fun snowboarding a couple days.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It was probably using more energy by constantly searching for a network. Or I'm an idiot & don't know what I'm talking about. Which definitely means I should post my opinion and stand by it. LOL.

This.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    “Years ago in TN we were out for a whole week due to an ice storm.”

Was that the one in ‘93? What part of TN were you in?
    No, this storm was in winter of '74-'75. We lived in Benton County, on the Kentucky Reservoir. Great bass hole and one huuuuge lake. By '93 we were living in the suburbs of kcmo. Ice storms were common there and no gee whiz as a rule.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I lost a greenhouse full of plants.
    I'm not sure of the extent of the pool equipment damage. I know the diverter valve body is split. Both due to 45 hours without electricity.
    We feel pretty fortunate that essential systems are fully functional.
    The 1st world problems can be dealt with later.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Intermittent power for 4 days. No water for 1 day. No internet or land line for 24 hrs. No trash pick up now since 4 Feb and won't be here until the 25th. A few days of no mail service. Now that it's over, getting groceries is a big hassle.

Not really too bad all in all. I know others had it a lot worse.

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points
    Lost nothing but my wife :facepalm: She was already in Texas (Seven Points) but I cancelled my planned trip (driving and towing a trailer) from the East Coast because of the weather. Good decision because I probably would have been stuck in Alabama or Mississippi for the duration of the storm.
    She moved in with the kids and while they had power outages and boil water issues they had a 7500 watt generator, a 15k btu kerosene catalytic heater plus a wood burning fireplace.
    So they stayed warm and even had internet most of the time.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You are correct. When only on the cellular network, if you have a weak signal, the phone will compensate by increasing the RF power output. More power = less battery life.

4kids2dogs&RV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    NE San Antonio
    Rolling blackouts my @$$
    We lost power starting on Monday at 2am, came back on Tuesday around 3pm for about 5 hours, then out again from 8pm Tuesday evening until 3:30 Thursday morning... lowest it got to inside was 52. neighbors across the street never lost power. Wife and I drove 4 miles Tuesday before we hit a working traffic light, another 3 miles until the 1st business was open, we live in the burbs of San Antonio. How the hell does this happen in this day and age?
    Didn't want to use the fireplace as it hadn't been used in over 5 years and needed to be cleaned and inspected. That has been rectified already. Also ordered a kerosene heater as a just in case.
    Had an electrician friend come out Wednesday, but he said my 7000w generator wasn't large enuf to run just my furnace, as my breaker box has to breakers totaling 90amps for the furnace.
    Water pressure dropped, but never lost water. Had plenty of food and bottled water. Cooked on the grill and a propane stove outside.
    Learned a lot this go around, won't be unprepared next time around.

Top Bottom