Capitol Armory ad

Poll: 2021 Valentine's Winter Storm -> What did you have to do without?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What did you have to do without?

• Water

Votes: 18 34.0%
    • Electricity

Votes: 27 50.9%
    • Food

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Shelter

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Nothing

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I lost a greenhouse full of plants.
    I'm not sure of the extent of the pool equipment damage. I know the diverter valve body is split. Both due to 45 hours without electricity.
    We feel pretty fortunate that essential systems are fully functional.
    The 1st world problems can be dealt with later.
    We did lose some plants, but they're ones we want to pull and replace as they were completely neglected and overgrown from the previous owners. Freshly planted lemon tree made it (I built a double layer tent for it), aloe plants amazingly seem to be recovering (we have a couple dozen ugh), and the grass is already perking back up. Palm trees will need some work, but they lived.

I figured out how to drain my pool equipment around mid afternoon on the day we lost power, just in case it became an overnight outage. I have a small setup so I was happy to find it wasn't a big deal at all. Four drain plugs (pump, filter, and two in the heater), and set one valve so the spa doesn't keep trying to fill the pump. If anything was going to pop, it was only going to be that drain line. Starting it back up was just as easy, put the plugs back in (with new lubricant on the O rings), open the drain valve from the spa to fill the pump housing, turn the power back on, and then set the valves back to automatic.

Pdyson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Lost electricity for 24 hrs, no heat no water. Got down to 25 in my living room the first night. I dug out a camp stove... all I had for heat and to cook on was that Coleman white gas camp stove I bought back in the 90s. I live on the lake and hauled water up the hill in 5gal buckets to flush toilets and to wash with.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    We just finally got water back last night.
    Our well guy found a used pump housing to replace our cracked one . He installed it yesterday, turned it on, and we found tons of cracked pipes in the pump house. That fixed, we found more broken pipes at the house. Had to pull our water softener out and fix a few more, but then we had water in the house!!! My wife was so happy to do laundry; she enjoys it and was going through withdrawals.
    Almost all of this could have been avoided without the rolling blackouts. We keep a small heater in the pump house.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    We just finally got water back last night.
    Our well guy found a used pump housing to replace our cracked one . He installed it yesterday, turned it on, and we found tons of cracked pipes in the pump house. That fixed, we found more broken pipes at the house. Had to pull our water softener out and fix a few more, but then we had water in the house!!! My wife was so happy to do laundry; she enjoys it and was going through withdrawals.
    Almost all of this could have been avoided without the rolling blackouts. We keep a small heater in the pump house.

kbaxter60,

SORRY that that happened to your family BUT t could have easily been WORSE.
    (Since the storm ended, I've heard that NUMEROUS houses on the east side of SATX were OUT of heat/water/lights for 3+ days/nights. = Sheriff Salizar says that the BCSD expects to learn that there are several deaths that have NOT yet been discovered because the temperatures in the houses may have stayed LOW since the storm ended.)

yours, satx

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    Man that's cold. I hope everyone was alright.
    Lost electricity for 24 hrs, no heat no water. Got down to 25 in my living room the first night. I dug out a camp stove... all I had for heat and to cook on was that Coleman white gas camp stove I bought back in the 90s. I live on the lake and hauled water up the hill in 5gal buckets to flush toilets and to wash with.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Got my Preps up to Par, much better than pre-Polar Vortexamgeddon.

The generator is 4500w Surge 3500 running with %50 load gets 13 hours +/-, on 4-Gallons of Gas which is a perfect middle-ground for backup (can also convert to Natural Gas for endless run time). I got it new shipped for $319 and it is a reliable brand name. Can be used to charge Gel Battery and Cellphones etc. while running the Furnace, Fridge, Microwave, Lighting all at the same time. It may not push the Central A/C but the house here is shaded and well insulated, I can stand a warm day/night or two, or another option is to get a window mount and keep a room cool.

Back-up battery= 35ah Gel + charger for Local comms work (2m-70cm and Skywarn-NOAA) and charging without having to run the Genny if need be. So power issues are redundant and reliable.

The truck can be used with a 600w Inverter while running to power emergency items and charge phones as well.

Backup 10000mah solar rechargeable battery pack.

Three is two, two is one, and one is none.

Considering a 275-gallon water tank next.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I am a full time RVer and mid level prepper. I started with an 80 gal gas tank, 60 pounds of LP, 40 gal fresh water, a water filter capable of making ditch water drinkable, and empty 40 gal gray and 40 gal black tanks. Between onboard and shore connections, I had redundancy on everything.

My shore power went out twice for about 6 hours each time. One push of the start button and onboard generator to the rescue. My fresh water shore supply hose froze due to an oversight on my part. Not a problem, as I brought it inside and put it in the shower to thaw and used some of the onboard supply.

Reinstalled it on day two before the 2nd night's freeze, rectifying my oversight along the way, and night two came and went without a hitch.

The pantry was full, so my biggest problem was that I ate too much out of boredom while watching TV.

Note to self: Lay in more tortillas and less saltines to go with the canned soups.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    I'm looking at 2 to 3 55-Gallon plastic drums (water safe). I am going to make a receiver hitch mount for the drum so I can use a 12v 300gph water pump with an RV water hose and inline filter to fill water from the local Lake if need be. I can transfer it into the other 55-gallon drum at the house (weight reasons), and rinse-repeat when needed. An inexpensive option for freshwater as the drums are usually under $25 and the pump, hose, and filter are around $100 +/-.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm looking at 2 to 3 55-Gallon plastic drums (water safe). I am going to make a receiver hitch mount for the drum so I can use a 12v 300gph water pump with an RV water hose and inline filter to fill water from the local Lake if need be. I can transfer it into the other 55-gallon drum at the house (weight reasons), and rinse-repeat when needed. An inexpensive option for freshwater as the drums are usually under $25 and the pump, hose, and filter are around $100 +/-.

TLR, this is what I'm thinking about getting for water storage for water usage except for drinking water.

Found these on Craigslist for $75. Might be able to find one in your area. Lots of places use them and them get rid of them. I have even seen them being given away, just so they can get rid of them.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    TLR, this is what I'm thinking about getting for water storage for water usage except for drinking water.

Found these on Craigslist for $75. Might be able to find one in your area. Lots of places use them and them get rid of them. I have even seen them being given away, just so they can get rid of them.
    I think it may be too big. I was looking at some out in Dallas same thing. 3x55-Gal drums with a Pump and filter setup should provide a long-term freshwater solution. To consider the 275-gallon tank for $90 or so would still need to be maintained for Algae and Bacteria growth for that volume which adds cost for Chemicals. I dunno seems like more storage can be a pain and getting fresh water once a month is not a big hassle.

*Added* Also no redundancy if needing to fill it up. What happens when that 275 gallon runs out?

Last edited:

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Build list:

2 55-Gallon water drums (Craigslist sourced)
    or
    60 Gallon Bladder (with this one would need a way to empty it to remove)

RV water Hose x2

Sediment filter (placed on the end of the hose at water source):

12v Pump 360 GPH

Purify Filters (placed after the pump)

Carrier for either water storage:

Cost: $200 +/-

Completely portable and redundant water sourcing kit.

I have links to everything, could not post Amazon for source.

Top Bottom