Patriot Mobile

Poll: 2021 Valentine's Winter Storm -> What did you have to do without?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What did you have to do without?

• Water

Votes: 18 34.0%
    • Electricity

Votes: 27 50.9%
    • Food

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Shelter

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Nothing

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think it may be too big. I was looking at some out in Dallas same thing. 3x55-Gal drums with a Pump and filter setup should provide a long-term freshwater solution. To consider the 275-gallon tank for $90 or so would still need to be maintained for Algae and Bacteria growth for that volume which adds cost for Chemicals. I dunno seems like more storage can be a pain and getting fresh water once a month is not a big hassle.

*Added* Also no redundancy if needing to fill it up. What happens when that 275 gallon runs out?

My idea is to fill it ahead of time, and use rainwater runoff to replenish if possible. As far as treating, I'm thinking for just using it for everything but drinking water, a couple of gallons of bleach should work just fine. Bleach is pretty danged cheap too.

At the bottom there is a 2" spigot to use, and there is about an 8" to 10" screw on cap at the top to fill the tamk.

If I end up going with one of these containers, I plan on building a platform that is about 3 feet off the ground out of 4x4, or 4x6 posts to sit it on. That way it's easier to fill buckets from the spigot, or attach a hose to the spigot, and I can mow under it with the push mower and weedeat around the posts.
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    My idea is to fill it ahead of time, and use rainwater runoff to replenish if possible. As far as treating, I'm thinking for just using it for everything but drinking water, a couple of gallons of bleach should work just fine. Bleach is pretty danged cheap too.

At the bottom there is a 2" spigot to use, and there is about an 8" to 10" screw on cap at the top to fill the tamk.

If I end up going with one of these containers, I plan on building a platform that is about 3 feet off the ground out of 4x4, or 4x6 posts to sit it on. That way it's easier to fill buckets from the spigot, or attach a hose to the spigot, and I can mow under it with the push mower and weedeat around the posts.
    You do realize that 275 gallons of water have a weight of around 2300 lbs right? Not sure that would work, but I dunno. The main reason for my setup is that it costs less and one would have a way to replenish fresh drinkable water from most any source. 110 gallons of capacity would last 2 about a month, so worst case you would have to make a trip to a water source 1 a month at most.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    I'll revise this:

I guess it would make sense if you had the above list with 1 55-Gallon barrel to source the water with and transport. Then can fill up the 275-gallon container. That 275 gallons of water are good for about 2-3 months for two people I would think.

I would imagine if water was scarce in this Context, taking a shower would be around 10 gallons per person, so you would have to source water otherwise find a lake.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You do realize that 275 gallons of water have a weight of around 2300 lbs right? Not sure that would work, but I dunno. The main reason for my setup is that it costs less and one would have a way to replenish fresh drinkable water from most any source. 110 gallons of capacity would last 2 about a month, so worst case you would have to make a trip to a water source 1 a month at most.

Yes, I did realize the weight issue. I was figuring on at least 2000 pounds if not more. I haven't designed the platform yet, but the weight will be a deciding factor on how it's built and what I use to build it with.

My main concern is for water for the toilets, or handwashing, or other uses than drinking.

My idea for initially filling would be rainwater and out own present water supply. I do have access to some 55 gallon drums, and a pump and a spring source for replenishment if needed.

Back in 2005 when Hurricane Rita hit Texas, to the east of us, our electric COOP took heavy wind damage. We didn't see any damage per say here around us, but we were out of power for about 12 days straight. We had water that time, but used the generator for electricity, and propane tanks for the gas grill. Wife wasn't particularly enthused, as she went to her mother's house after about the third day! For me, it was almost like camping.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Yes, I did realize the weight issue. I was figuring on at least 2000 pounds if not more. I haven't designed the platform yet, but the weight will be a deciding factor on how it's built and what I use to build it with.

My main concern is for water for the toilets, or handwashing, or other uses than drinking.

My idea for initially filling would be rainwater and out own present water supply. I do have access to some 55 gallon drums, and a pump and a spring source for replenishment if needed.

Back in 2005 when Hurricane Rita hit Texas, to the east of us, our electric COOP took heavy wind damage. We didn't see any damage per say here around us, but we were out of power for about 12 days straight. We had water that time, but used the generator for electricity, and propane tanks for the gas grill. Wife wasn't particularly enthused, as she went to her mother's house after about the third day! For me, it was almost like camping.
    So use the "grey" water from dishes or shower and store in bathtub, like you did previously. Then flush away. But the hard part in most cases would be getting more water, unless you have a Well, and then this all becomes moot.

I live in a small town so I need less storage and only a way to replenish a smaller supply due to more than likely the water will not be out for over a month in most scenarios.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So use the "grey" water from dishes or shower and store in bathtub, like you did previously. Then flush away. But the hard part in most cases would be getting more water, unless you have a Well, and then this all becomes moot.

I live in a small town so I need less storage and only a way to replenish a smaller supply due to more than likely the water will not be out for over a month in most scenarios.

We have access to a fresh water spring less than a mile from the house if needed. My great grandparents used that spring over a 100 years ago!

Drilling a well, would be a huge hassle, as far as getting the proper permits, and even outside the city limits, I would have to get permits for a well. And depending on how deep they have to go to get sufficient water supply, could range in cost from about $7000 to $10,000. Not cheap.

My main concern is not a long term SHTF scenario, but for some reason power and electricity are lost for a couple to a few weeks.

The snow and ice storm showed where some of my weakness' are what I need to address.

1086Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2021
    Houston
    I thought about having a bunch of stored water, and did for a while. Then I realized it's about like storing food; you eventually run out, and its better to just have a source.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom