Lynx Defense

POLYMER-COATED STEEL-CASED .45 ACP AMMO??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I'm looking for INFORMATION and/or ADVICE upon firing "range ammo" made in SERBIA that is "advertised as" being "fully suitable" for use in ALL "quality, modern handguns" in my "new to me" 1911A1 "WWII STYLE" clone.
    (OBVIOUSLY, ammo makers can CLAIM almost anything & I'm "too old of a bunny" to try their ammo without knowing if it is likely to be OK or not.)

I know NOTHING about such "polymer-coated steel cases" & despite the fact that the 1911A1 "clone" that i bought is just a "shooter grade" pistol, I do not want to needless damage the handgun and/or damage MYSELF, while trying to save some $$$$$. = The company's advertising states that the ammo is equal in quality to the "WWII-era US issue".
    (The Serbian ammo is "said to be" 230 grain FMJ at 850FPS & about 38 cents each, IF you buy 500 pieces or more, with FREE S&H.)

yours, satx
    Gun Zone Deals

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's probably just rebranded PPU(academy's monarch house brand). All of their stuff has been loaded to safe levels ime through a large variety of calibers I've shot.

The number one hang up with steel is the imperfect seal because it's so rigid. It's always going to leave a little more residue on your chamber since it won't seal up as well as brass as it's fired. It will dirty up a gun faster.

It may also be a little harder on your extractor. If it runs an internal extractor I would be inclined to wait til you can get some brass ammo. If it's a true Colt clone it will have the internal extractor. Either way it will shoot fine and pressure level should be a non issue.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It's probably just rebranded PPU(academy's monarch house brand). All of their stuff has been loaded to safe levels ime through a large variety of calibers I've shot.

The number one hang up with steel is the imperfect seal because it's so rigid. It's always going to leave a little more residue on your chamber since it won't seal up as well as brass as it's fired. It will dirty up a gun faster.

It may also be a little harder on your extractor. If it runs an internal extractor I would be inclined to wait til you can get some brass ammo. If it's a true Colt clone it will have the internal extractor. Either way it will shoot fine and pressure level should be a non issue.

TexMex247,

THANK YOU for your advice.
    (I've never fired a single round of steel cased ammo, much less "polymer-coated".)

yours, satx

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Happy to help. The polymer cases usually have a grey appearance while the old fashioned lacqer coated are more greenish. For pistols, I prefer the polymer although I mostly shoot my reloads these days. The polymer just slows the oxidation of them but they'll still show rust in an open air setting after a while.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

I don't think PPU makes steel case, do they?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

THANKS to ALL for the info & advice.

FYI, I have found a cache of 230 grain FMJ "GI issue-style" ammo in brass (at for what at this time is a "reasonable price" = 70 cents a round with free S&H) on the WWW.

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    PPU makes over 70 different calibers of ammo.. many are steel cased.

Source? I have never seen a steel case marked PPU.

All ppu 5.56/.223, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 54r i've seen have been brass case.

They've been around awhile, so im sure somewhere they've made steel case for military contracts, but monarch steel case is not ppu

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    Source? I have never seen a steel case marked PPU.

All ppu 5.56/.223, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 54r i've seen have been brass case.

They've been around awhile, so I'm sure somewhere they've made steel case for military contracts, but monarch steel case is not ppu
    re-read.. I posted that monarch is Barnaul, as is Brown Bear.. PPU is also Serbian. I agree that we do-not see steel case PPU in the states.. sources tell me they do produce it, although I can't 100% confirm it... whoops, did I make a mistake..? am i allowed to do that?!!! You gentlemen straighten me out if I do!!!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    re-read.. I posted that monarch is Barnaul, as is Brown Bear.. PPU is also Serbian. I agree that we do-not see steel case PPU in the states.. sources tell me they do produce it, although I can't 100% confirm it... whoops, did I make a mistake..? am i allowed to do that?!!! You gentlemen straighten me out if I do!!!

Listen, i don't want to argue, but you said, and i quote "PPU makes over 70 different calibers of ammo.. many are steel cased."

Do you have any proof of PPU commercial ammo being steel case? I am asking out of curiosity, so i am not sure what the deal is with the attitude

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I'm almost certain I have some steel ppu stuff . I'll dig around the ammo room when I get home.

... I was wrong. Checked 6 different monarch steel calibers. all barnull, The monarch brass was ppu.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom