• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Pork tenderloin on the grill (gas), which should be a simple affair, have always been a struggle for me. I usually screw up on seasoning, and either undercook or overcook. Would love to hear some recipes and/or helpful tips. Thanks!
    Target Sports

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Plain ones can be butterflied & grilled like a steak.

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific...I am asking about grilling it whole. Not looking to turn the loin into poke chops! LOL

Good point about the meat thermometer. I have a nice one, but always forget to use the damn thing.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Are you wanting to cook it all in one piece ? we musta been typing at the same time... "I" butterfly it, rub it down with real butter. then make a mix of Apple butter/ 16oz jar, 1/4 cup Tabasco sauce , 1/4 tsp. minced garlic, 1/4 tsp. rosemary. mix well , load mix into center of the meat. fold up like a taco and tie together with twine. make sure outside of said taco have a good coat of butter, and wrap in foil. I've discovered 3 complete layers works best. crimp ends for a good seal and let the cooking begin. 375 - 425 degrees for about 5 hours, turning it a couple times. If you ruin it by pairing it with wine, it's on you!!:p

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Mix to taste, plain "Allegro" marinade, garlic powder, onion powder, apple juice, and one full flavored beer in bowl. Inject liberally, saving the rest as a brush on. I use a coal/wood smoker, so you might need to adapt for this part. Cook with a mixture of apple (or any sweet/fruit wood, like cherry, peach, etc) and mesquite wood at about 250 -275 degrees until done. I try to go anywhere between about two and ten hours, depending on size and quantity, while liberally moisturizing with leftover liquid whenever I need to add wood. I occasionally finish/top with quartered and smoked apple or pineapple slices.

Best tip I can give, besides the thermometer, is to look for a piece with a good amount of fat and marbling and start the cooking process with the fat on the top. It helps keep the meat moist and also helps to spread the marinade or smoke flavor through the meat.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Are you wanting to cook it all in one piece ? we musta been typing at the same time... "I" butterfly it, rub it down with real butter. then make a mix of Apple butter/ 16oz jar, 1/4 cup Tabasco sauce , 1/4 tsp. minced garlic, 1/4 tsp. rosemary. mix well , load mix into center of the meat. fold up like a taco and tie together with twine. make sure outside of said taco have a good coat of butter, and wrap in foil. I've discovered 3 complete layers works best. crimp ends for a good seal and let the cooking begin. 375 - 425 degrees for about 5 hours, turning it a couple times. If you ruin it by pairing it with wine, it's on you!!:p

Mix to taste, plain "Allegro" marinade, garlic powder, onion powder, apple juice, and one full flavored beer in bowl. Inject liberally, saving the rest as a brush on. I use a coal/wood smoker, so you might need to adapt for this part. Cook with a mixture of apple (or any sweet/fruit wood, like cherry, peach, etc) and mesquite wood at about 250 -275 degrees until done. I try to go anywhere between about two and ten hours, depending on size and quantity, while liberally moisturizing with leftover liquid whenever I need to add wood. I occasionally finish/top with quartered and smoked apple or pineapple slices.

Best tip I can give, besides the thermometer, is to look for a piece with a good amount of fat and marbling and start the cooking process with the fat on the top. It helps keep the meat moist and also helps to spread the marinade or smoke flavor through the meat.

While both of these sound delicious, I have to wonder by the prep methods and cooking times if y'all are talking about pork loins, and not pork tenderloins. Big difference between the two, and I was referring to the latter in my OP.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Coat in yellow mustard, season with whatever rub you like, wrap in foil, cook on indirect heat at about 375 for 1.75 hours or until internal temp is 160. If you want then unwrap and sear about 3 minutes a side.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Coat in yellow mustard, season with whatever rub you like, wrap in foil, cook on indirect heat at about 375 for 1.75 hours or until internal temp is 160. If you want then unwrap and sear about 3 minutes a side.

I season with salt, pepper and a bit of soy sauce. Foil wrap at around 350 with an internal thermometer to 150 and rest for 10 min before cutting.

With a couple slight variations to these two methods, I managed to prepare the best damned, tastiest, juiciest pork tenderloin I have ever had. Thanks!!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    FYI, there's a thread about the Puck Pressure Ovens on here. I routinely do pork tenderloins in mine at 450 w/pressure for 15-18 minutes or so and they come out AWESOME.

A regular oven would be a little longer, and I'd recommend a "broil + turn" method.

Grill is my favorite. High heat, 4-5 min per side.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    FYI, there's a thread about the Puck Pressure Ovens on here. I routinely do pork tenderloins in mine at 450 w/pressure for 15-18 minutes or so and they come out AWESOME.

A regular oven would be a little longer, and I'd recommend a "broil + turn" method.

Grill is my favorite. High heat, 4-5 min per side.

Re: the Puck ovens, yep, I have read that thread with great interest, and might consider one in the future.

After the foil method worked so well for me, I don't know if I can bring myself to go back to straight grilling like you do...that's where I messed mine up so often.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Re: the Puck ovens, yep, I have read that thread with great interest, and might consider one in the future.

After the foil method worked so well for me, I don't know if I can bring myself to go back to straight grilling like you do...that's where I messed mine up so often.

I'm very picky about dry and overdone pork, and tenderloin is the hardest to get right.
    I have the Puck, and it works better on pork tenderloin than most other methods.

That said, and when it comes to pork tenderloin, about the only way I really enjoy it is using the "residual heat method".
    Pretty simple:

Season as you like ... using a bit more than you think.
    Place, uncovered, on a shallow roasting pan.
    Preheat the oven to 500 F.
    Quickly place in preheated oven, .
    Leave in 500 F oven for precisely 5 1/2 minutes per pound (Do not open oven again)
    (Example: 2 lb tenderloin = 11 minutes)
    Turn oven off, but do not open oven, and leave for exactly 60 minutes without opening.
    Remove, slice and serve ... you do not need to "rest" the meat using this method.

Get a pork tenderloin on sale and give it a try.
    I find that in my well constructed electric oven I can fudge and take it out at 50 minutes, but do the full sixty on the first try.

Top Bottom