• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I agree with that. Just pay attention to what is going on around you. Things can go bad in a hurry when that very very minimal statistical anomaly occurs. When I was deployed we were located in a country that was Muslim and was considered an ally. So no firearms when you went of base. We also had to wear civilian clothes and drive civilian vehicles. Nothing bad happened but there were a few minor incidents that could have. I think being aware and brain engagement will get you through. Worrying about what may happen with the chances that are so small it won't happen will not. Being elsewhere is also good advice. Don't tempt fate. If you have to be in a bad place take care of business and be elsewhere afterwords
    Puerto Rico comes to mind when you mentioned things going bad in a foreign country. My brother was Air Force and deployed at the drop of a hat. When they went to Puerto Rico, they were told "if you are driving off base and someone hits you - do not stop! Drive to a police station or back to base to report it.' If they were lucky, they would only be robbed and the vehicle stolen. Over the years, I have heard the same advice in DC, Atlanta, and a few other cities.

A tactic I have heard of near a major airport in the U.S. (but the name of the airport/town escapes me), is lurk on a rise near the last gas station heading to the airport. When the people stop to top off before turning in their rental cars, several "youth" coast down on bicycles from the darkness to the pumps. Situation goes from safe to surrounded in 60 seconds or less.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Your WISDOM, Ben. I usually enjoy your comments.
    leVieux
    Oh.

That's a bad bet. I'm 6 years older than when this thread started. I've lost a bunch of IQ points during those years.

But I have learned one thing: The minute I come to believe I possess any sort of wisdom about anything, life will prove me very, very wrong.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...A tactic I have heard of near a major airport in the U.S. (but the name of the airport/town escapes me), is lurk on a rise near the last gas station heading to the airport. When the people stop to top off before turning in their rental cars, several "youth" coast down on bicycles from the darkness to the pumps. Situation goes from safe to surrounded in 60 seconds or less.
    One reason I always buy the tank up front.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I just don't know about that part. If you carry you should expect to use it. I have used Jeff Cooper's color codes for years before I knew about them. They just define and identify the level of awareness. I stay in Yellow when out in publc.

you know the old saying,.. "always be coureous and polite and have a plan to kill everyone in the roon"

I can be out in public and have a good time eating in resturants or shopping, but I'm always watching for a threat as well
    From the Tom Grieve channel a brief explanation of Jeff Cooper's Color Codes; If you are a regular of the [Tom Grieve] channel then you know that I constantly harp about education and training. There are so many things that could be covered, but what can we really zero in on as a real world difference maker that I have seen help REAL clients SURVIVE *or* would have kept them out of serious trouble?

It all starts with situational awareness. You win when you avoid the fight.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    From the Tom Grieve channel a brief explanation of Jeff Cooper's Color Codes; If you are a regular of the [Tom Grieve] channel then you know that I constantly harp about education and training. There are so many things that could be covered, but what can we really zero in on as a real world difference maker that I have seen help REAL clients SURVIVE *or* would have kept them out of serious trouble?

It all starts with situational awareness. You win when you avoid the fight.

Wow..that has to be the oldest post of mine that anyone has quoted..over 9 years ago!
    I've been hanging around you knot heads for that long? :laughing:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Wow..that has to be the oldest post of mine that anyone has quoted..over 9 years ago!
    I've been hanging around you knot heads for that long? :laughing:
    That was before you and I started competing over which side of the table we sit on.

Major1510

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2022
    Houston
    I was listening to the show a few weeks back when you guys mentioned the typical scenario:

Chl holder in a place that is getting robbed......

I believe referencing the House of Pies that was robbed the night before.
    Everyone agreed that they wouldn't get involved unless they had to.

That made sense to me at the time. It came out a few days later that said robber was coming straight from murdering someone for their car. That kind of muddled things in my mind. How would you know any different. Give the bad guy the benefit of the doubt?

These guys came in and fired rounds into the ceiling right off the bat unless I'm mistaken.

For me that would settle a few things:
    Yep its real
    Yep its loaded
    Yep they're willing to pull a trigger

Once the mental hurdles are cleared
    I would think that I would rather be drawing before the business end was pointed at me rather than after. I would love to get some input from guys like yourselves.

Guns were just for hunting until I moved from a small east Tx town with no real crime straight into a bad Houston hood. Now it is starting to seem like this type situation will be a when rather than an if for me.
    Good information

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If I did not anticipate, or expect, that I would need to use my firearms defensively, I would not carry them, would not train with them,would not maintain them, would not have ammo for them nor would I even own them except maybe to hang them on my walls as decorations. The entire reason I carry defensive arms is for protection of self and possibly of others and that I expect I may some day need them for that purpose is why I am prepared with them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I did not anticipate, or expect, that I would need to use my firearms defensively, I would not carry them,..
    I carry only because I begrudgingly accept the statistically tiny possibility that I may someday need to defend myself or others.

I've needed a fire extinguisher and been a victim of violence so I understand that low-probability events sometimes happen. Thus, I carry.

But I sure don't anticipate or expect. I go to great lengths to avoid any circumstances under which I might legitimately "anticipate" or "expect."

More generally, does anybody really like to carry? (I realize you didn't say that; I'm just curious.) To lug around a lump of weight we'll most likely never need?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If I did not anticipate, or expect, that I would need to use my firearms defensively, I would not carry them,...
    I don't expect to need to change a tire on the side of the road but I have a spare in my vehicle.
    I maintain a generator although I hope I don't need to depend on it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry only because I begrudgingly accept the statistically tiny possibility that I may someday need to defend myself or others.

I've needed a fire extinguisher and been a victim of violence so I understand that low-probability events sometimes happen. Thus, I carry.

But I sure don't anticipate or expect. I go to great lengths to avoid any circumstances under which I might legitimately "anticipate" or "expect."

More generally, does anybody really like to carry? (I realize you didn't say that; I'm just curious.) To lug around a lump of weight we'll most likely never need?
    <>

I’d bet that most wished we didn’t feel that we HAVE TO CARRY.

It is still & always a CHOICE.

BUT, having BEEN CAUGHT once, unarmed; NEVER again !

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom