• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crapshoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    San Antonio
    First off, I am looking for some help not critizism, so if your just gonna take pot shots at my ability then keep it to your self.
    Now with that said I went to the range on Saturday and noticed that I was pulling about 3 to 4 inches to the left but still center. This is my first trip to the range with this gun, so I have no experience with it or how it handles. Being my first trip out with it I shot 150 rnds of "get to know ya" 165 grn fmj Winchester at the 7 yrd line. I am not confident enough in my skill to say that its due to the sights or characteristics of the gun itself. The gun is a barley used XD .40 stainless 4 inch. Like I said I've never shot one before but the gun points so naturally I would have thought I would've done better. Comparatively I have done well with my dad's Glock 23 and of course my p229 was a solid performer. If anyone could share their experience with this gun that would be great. Also are the factory dovetail sights adjustable? My main goal in this fact finding mission is to find out if there are any characteristic issues with an XD or maybe the sights could be off from the previous owner, anything about the gun that would compound my slowly developing trigger control issues.

Thanks for any help or insight.:1zhelp:
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You could always call the previous owner.

Some times, with me, the different triggers just take a while to get down just right.

I tend to pull my Beretta to the left, and I have to think about pulling the trigger straight back. No such issues with my Glock.

I've never shot an XD and haven't heard anything but good things about them.

TxSgt1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Typically, pulling to the left would indicate too much finger on the trigger, i.e., pulling the weapon to the left instead of pulling the trigger straight back. What you can do is practice dry firing toward a white or light colored wall. Get into your shooting stance as if you were at the range, concentrate on the front sight, and see if the sights move when you squeeze the trigger. Also, you can check the sights to see if they're centered on the slide, although in my experience, if a rear sight is off enough to make a 4" difference at 7 yards, it should be easily noticible.

For me, the XD triggers took some getting used to. Like anything else, it just takes practice.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I agree with TXI. Have a buddy shoot it first before you go looking for problems with the gun. Sounds like a trigger finger issue to me. That said, the sights should be able to be drifted slightly in the dovetail if that is indeed the problem. I'd invest a few more rounds into getting to know the gun, prefferably with a friend to give it a go as well. When trying to learn a gun, don't just blow through the rounds, rather try and figure out what is going on. Try changing your grip slightly, your trigger finger placement, the way you're holding your mouth etc. etc. XDs are usually good to go out of the box. YMMV

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I had an XD-40 (sold it to buy an XDm-9) and it shot to point of aim at from 7-15 yards -- didn't shoot it farther out than that. I like the suggestion of having somebody else shoot it and see how they do ... sounds like the sights might be out of alignment ...

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    First off, I am looking for some help not critizism, so if your just gonna take pot shots at my ability then keep it to your self.
    Now with that said I went to the range on Saturday and noticed that I was pulling about 3 to 4 inches to the left but still center. This is my first trip to the range with this gun, so I have no experience with it or how it handles. Being my first trip out with it I shot 150 rnds of "get to know ya" 165 grn fmj Winchester at the 7 yrd line. I am not confident enough in my skill to say that its due to the sights or characteristics of the gun itself. The gun is a barley used XD .40 stainless 4 inch. Like I said I've never shot one before but the gun points so naturally I would have thought I would've done better. Comparatively I have done well with my dad's Glock 23 and of course my p229 was a solid performer. If anyone could share their experience with this gun that would be great. Also are the factory dovetail sights adjustable? My main goal in this fact finding mission is to find out if there are any characteristic issues with an XD or maybe the sights could be off from the previous owner, anything about the gun that would compound my slowly developing trigger control issues.

Thanks for any help or insight.:1zhelp:

If you have acess to a laser boresighter,you might check your sights with one.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Finger placement, your accustomed to Glock or other that may have longer distance from back of grip to trigger, I had a heck of a time shooting small frame auto's because of my long fingers,always shot to the left until I learned to make a slight bow at knuckle using tip of finger to pull trigger,practice, practice and some more.

Top Bottom