• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glasscock777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Well here is my first post.

My family acquired a good amount of guns from a late great grandpa, and I just now decided to take a good look at some of them. Going through I found this rifle that intrigued me a lot... It looked a lot like a swiss k31 (and im pretty sure it is swiss because it's covered in little crosses!) but the stock didn't seem the same, and the holes drilled for the scope mount looked a little peculiar (at least to my eyes), but what got me the most was the fact that it's in 308! Now thats where i got confused... Now my great grandpa was a little out there, and a few of his guns he had done a bit of his own "gunsmithing" on (which I wouldn't doubt if he drilled into the action himself) but this gun left me puzzled. Maybe some of you guys who are familiar with swiss weapons, schmidt rubin, ect. can shed a bit of insight to my situation? Would love to know more about this gun.
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
      IMG_1634.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 349
    • IMG_1639.jpg
      IMG_1639.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 376
    • IMG_1640.jpg
      IMG_1640.jpg
      61.2 KB · Views: 422
    • IMG_1641.jpg
      IMG_1641.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 415

EmbarkChief

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    That's very interesting. Sure looks like a 31 to me, the .308 conversion is interesting. If anything I would have expected to see an -06 swap. Hard to tell from the pick but it could be a 1911... I just verified that is is in fact a 1911. See here for comparison http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/detail/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EmbarkChief

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Looks like the cut the receiver end of the barrel down to do the conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glasscock777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    thank ya'll for the input! Glad to get an idea on what it is. I'm still a bit puzzled on why the stock is so short and doesn't have the top wood cover. Kinda different, but kinda cool. It's a pretty good shooter though!

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    At a minimum, rechambered. The 308 font is different than the other fonts shown. Wonder what scope base those holes are for? There were some side mount bases from Japan in the 50s for various milsurp rifles including the eyetie carcano, The Moisin, and Ariska, if my ancient memory serves. They usually held a cheap Jap scope made by ..... oh heck I lost it .... not tasco but the other one.

glasscock777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    At a minimum, rechambered. The 308 font is different than the other fonts shown. Wonder what scope base those holes are for? There were some side mount bases from Japan in the 50s for various milsurp rifles including the eyetie carcano, The Moisin, and Ariska, if my ancient memory serves. They usually held a cheap Jap scope made by ..... oh heck I lost it .... not tasco but the other one.

It actually had an offset scope mount on it with some cheap tiny "made in hollywood" scope on it.:laughing: I took it off because whatever screws were in it were too long and were touching the bolt and causing it to stick. If I find where I put it i'll throw up a picture. I would love to find a real scope mount for it though.

glasscock777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    IMG_1647.jpg IMG_1648.jpg IMG_1649.jpg IMG_1650.jpg
    Alright so it wasn't the hollywood scope I was thinking of, thats on a different gun. This one is sporting a busted old weaver. It's missing a few screws, but the whole thing still seems a bit hokey to me... the scope mount isn't threaded at all either. I know its pretty thin metal, but it still comes across as almost "homemade".. or is that just me? lol.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    That is a k11 or what is left of one, in the past GP11 was impossible to find and some were converted to .308.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Hollywood scope is what I couldn't think of. I think that was a jap scope. Or labeled by the importer. Those mounts were just slapped on, as I recall and often you couldn't even zero the scope because they weren't mounted right. There were shims to take up the extra screw length on some models. The base was pretty flimsy too.

Top Bottom