Texas SOT

Possibly relocating to the Corpus area...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Highside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Round Rock
    Greetings,

I am considering accepting a position from my current employer which will require relocating from Austin to the Corpus area. No, we are NOT California transplants.

It has been MANY years since my last visit there. My last trip there ended badly with the theft of ~$1500 worth of tools from my work truck. This was in the North Beach area.

We are considering moving to a smaller town north of Corpus but I will still be conducting business in Corpus on a daily basis.

What is the current environment like in Corpus? Do you feel compelled to carry on a daily basis?

My wife and I both have our CHL's and carry frequently. Will we feel compelled to carry more often?

Just asking for honest opinions. Sure, I can Google online crime stats but I was hoping for the personal opinions from some local boots on the ground.

Thanks!

Highside
    Round Rock, Tx.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Corpus is like any other town, bad areas and good areas. Auto burglaries can be a problem anywhere, much like Austin.

If you move north of CC you can pretty much take care of everyday life in the Anniville/Callalen area. I was a LEO in CC for a decade. When I visit there now I always carry, but I carry everywhere already.

Where will work be?

Eric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    South Texas, Sinton
    I live in a small town about 30 miles North of Corpus, and travel into the city quite frequently. Its no worse than any other city its size as far as crime goes. I always carry, no matter where I'm going.
    Where are you looking to move to?

Highside

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Round Rock
    Thanks for the quick replies...

We are thinking possibly about the Aransas Pass area. My 16 y/o son is currently involved in Navy JROTC and I understand their High School has an award winning program. He is gung ho about a military career after High School... He wants to fly some form of aircraft. Prolly too big for jets though... (6', 200#).

The Corpus High Schools seem to have a low percentage of caucasian students. The gang problem here in the Austin area has spread into the suburbs and he's had his fill of the nonsense (and cliques) hence our desire to seek schooling outside Corpus proper.

Our companies current work facility is near I-37 and Hwy 407 but will be relocating to a new (unknown) location in the very near future.

Highside

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    What is the current environment like in Corpus? Do you feel compelled to carry on a daily basis?

My wife and I both have our CHL's and carry frequently. Will we feel compelled to carry more often?
    I feel compelled to carry on a daily basis everywhere. How do you decide when you may need to defend yourself? Carrying part time is a deadly gamble.

As far as Aransas Pass...not very nice, big meth issues Port Aransas is much better and only a few minutes away. It is more of a tourist town but a very clean and easy going place. Very small high school with good test scores. Easy to get to Corpus via Mustang Island.

Bigbird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Kyle
    My family and I are relocating to Corpus from Austin as well. I leaving in January and the family will follow as soon as the house sells.

My kids are younger (4 and 7) so we are looking at North Padre Island. The seashore learning center there gets good marks.

As far as carrying, I will get my CHL as soon as I have time to take the test b/c our office is not in the best part of town.

MrBigAxe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    SoTex
    I feel compelled to carry on a daily basis everywhere. How do you decide when you may need to defend yourself? Carrying part time is a deadly gamble.

As far as Aransas Pass...not very nice, big meth issues Port Aransas is much better and only a few minutes away. It is more of a tourist town but a very clean and easy going place. Very small high school with good test scores. Easy to get to Corpus via Mustang Island.

As a new guy here, I hate to butt heads with one of the regulars, but...

Port Aransas has much more in the way of drug problems than does Aransas Pass. It's true that a lot of meth labs were busted 3-5 years ago in AP, but that kind of thing happens when the cops do their jobs (after extended periods of not doing their jobs). I see so many more people whacked out of their minds in Port A on a normal warm weather weekend than I ever see in AP in a month. Also, school tests scores are far better in AP, Portland, and Ingleside than they are in Port A and Rockport.

Granted, Port A is more tidy on the main streets, but that's just because it has nothing but tourist traps packed along those streets. Other streets have overpriced condos. The back streets are a mess.

Don't get me wrong. I spent a lot of time in my high school years hanging out in Port A and I wouldn't trade those days for anything. But I would never try to raise kids there. Between the drug problems and the frequent violent homosexual feuds, it's not the place to have kids.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have some friends in real estate in that area. Also Friends with LEOs in both those jusrisdictions. Know a few people that live in PA. they love it and are far from druggies or gang members. Info I recieved is that AP is a shell of a community with huge drug issues. To suggest that lots of drug busts mean the police are doing their job may have SOME validity, but to suggest that if there are not alot of busts an agency is not working is a stretch.

I go to and through both towns regularly. I would take Port A 10 times out of 10 if I had to choose.

But its just an opinion, they say everybody has one.

BTW....welcome to the forum

gt40mki

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd vote for Calallen or South Side Corpus...and just happen to have a home for sale on the southside :) hahah...I carry everyday, and have never needed it. North Beach can be a little rough at times...Port A and Aransas Pass both seem seasonal, so I'd prefer to live in town and visit the beach when I want sand in my toes... .02, good luck!

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    I moved to Corpus a little over a year and a half ago, lived in an apartment on the southside till about a month ago. If you want to eat or shop everything is pretty close, beach isn't to far away... but I just don't like living on anything larger than a small town. Moved to Rockport and I love it, small and has all the little stores you need for day to day life. I don't really get excited about having to go into Corpus, and the property taxes in Nueces county are high IMHO. But all in all Corpus isn't a bad place, like any other metro area it has it's good and bad spots.

Top Bottom