APOD Firearms

Post your craziest/scariest firearms incident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not knowing any better (when we really did), my cousins and I took turns shooting a Daisy BB gun at the primer of a 12 gauge shotgun shell we laid on a log about five feet away. It took a lot of shots, but eventually my shot hit the primer and chaos ensued.

Got our butts beat good by my father and uncle.

I was smart enough to take the pellets out. Put the empty shell on the end of my BB gun and pulled the trigger. Loved hearing that boom, and it scared the crap out of my friends.

Did it one too many times and it cracked the barrel of my BB gun. My dad didn't buy my explanation if how that happened.
    Texas SOT

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brand new MAC 10 full auto had a failure to feed. To safe and clear it I started to remove the magazine. Pulling the mag just a bit released pressure on the bolt and it went forward and discharged a .45 ACP in front of my feet.

I thank my dad silently that day for teaching me as a kid to always keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

I learned after that incident to safe an open bolt SMG you first re- cock it then remove the mag which is different than a closed bolt.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    My brother decocked his Winchester 94/22 one night while we were hunting and forgot to put it on half cock. Later he dropped the rifle and the hammer hit the foot peg of his four wheeler. The gun fired, and the bullet entered the gas tank, then exited and hit my brother in the stomach. One piece exited his chest and lodged in his left upper arm. The other two are still in there.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Many years ago, I bought a Lee Loader (anybody remember those?) for 45 Colt. Well, with that nifty little kit, there is no press, so everything is done with a hammer. Resizing, depriming, priming, and bullet seating. Well, during the priming stage, I must have gotten the primer crooked in the holder, or hit it too hard or something. It went off and scared the hell out of me and everyone in the house. (I was in the garage) I was shaking like a leaf on fuzzy tree for an hour.

That was the last time I used the Lee Loader. I knew it was time to get a reloading press and a Lee hand priming tool.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Someone gave me one if those kits recently. Haven't bothered to use it but thought it was cool to have around b

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My BIL had a weak moment last year. Traveling with a friend, he asked to see his new Sig. The friend says, "make sure you decock it." So BIL, unfamiliar with the decocking lever on a Sig, pulls the trigger.

BOOM! Hole in the windshield, ringing ears, all kinds of fail. They got lucky, that no one was hurt. and I learned to never give a loaded gun to my BIL.

I was shocked by this incident, both that the friend would carry a cocked pistol, and that my BIL would pull the trigger on any gun without clearing it first. You just can't be too safe. Neither of those guys were.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    MY BIL did something similar while riding in a car with a friend of his. The guy told him the gun was unloaded. He pulled the trigger and shot a hole in the floor board.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Out riding around on the Ranch shooting stuff.
    Family friend sitting in passenger side backseat of station wagon, me sitting in the front seat.
    Not sure exactly what happened, but the .243 he was holding between his legs went off
    & put a hole in the floorboard under my seat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    When I was a RSO at a local range one of my fellow range officers when down to retrieve a target while the range( @ the 8yrd mark) was hot. At the time I was off duty and in plain clothes, I made sure my firearm was clear before I yelled for a cease fire. Eventually everyone ceased but gave me a weird look like I was crazy, then when the RSO came back to safe line everyone focused on him and gave Him the look. thankfully the Dummy made it out without a nick on him, and maybe this story isn't that scary. But still to this day, I cant believe someone can be that dumb to step on a hot range on a busy day.... after that I quit, I don't want anyone that dumb covering my ass when down the line.

Last edited:

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Showing a friend how to shoot my SKS when I was about 16. Told him to pull the bolt back and let it go, even demonstrated it for him. Of course it just eases it forward not going all the way into battery and when he tries to shoot it nothing happens. I take it and use the heel of my hand to push the bolt forward and when it went into battery it went off. It was safely pointed downrange but scared the crap out of me. The smooth round bolt handle managed to cut a circle of skin off my hand and sprained my wrist.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Posted this before but it's still the "worst case" for me.

I bought a used Remington 11-48 12 gauge shotgun and was in a hurry to try it out. I hunted a lot then and there were many places to shoot in Kansas. The 11-48 is a recoil operated semi auto.

I loaded it and had a malfunction. I grabbed the bolt handle to pull it back and the shotgun discharged with no finger touching the trigger. My face was black as everything came out the ejection port right in my face. The bolt handle was off of the gun and still in my hand. My glasses were hanging from one ear. The paper part of the shell was still in the chamber and still crimped. I was burned, thankful that the glasses saved my eyes and determined to find out why the shotgun went off out of battery with the bolt about 1/2" open.

The gun was very dirty so I disassembled it, gave it a massive cleanup and it never malfunctioned again in spite of years of hunting. I finally traded it off in favor of a Remington 1100 gas operated semi auto.

Conclusion? The gun was nasty dirty causing the malfunction. Lesson learned.....disassemble service and inspect all guns before initially firing them. It's something that I still do.

That policy paid off years later. I traded for a Colt Python and found a crack in the frame (top strap). The guy did the right thing and took the gun back.

Flash

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My AK-47 went off during the cease fire at a gun range once.

Oh man, that reminded me of something. Just last weekend I was at a range, and a family, it looked like the dad, two sons and a daughter were shooting. I wasn't really watching, but I'll admit the daughter was cute, so when they called a cease I kind of looked up. Well she had a lever action of some kind, must have just chambered the round and left the hammer cocked because when she put it down on the bench it went bang. I'm pretty sure she was holding it by the for end and butt so I don't think she pulled the trigger. Fortunately she had the sense to be holding it down range at all times. Definitely scared the shit out of her though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    (P.S. How does one break this post up into more than one paragraph when hitting "Enter" or the "space" bar doesn't work?)

I had this same problem one time, somebody on here was able to tell me what to do to fix it, but unfortunately, I don't
    recall what the fix was.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Some of these stories are AMAZING! This is one of the best threads I've seen here yet.
    I've not had or seen anything F'd up (yet), but since I've only been shooting less than 20 times, I know eventually I'll encounter some wingnut at the range. Thanks for the stories (and warnings).

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    I had two good ones.
    I had a PoS Helwan pistol break the sear spring mid mag, dumping 5-6 rounds. I told the dealer I traded it to about it, don't know if he fixed it or not.
    I bought a milled AK several years ago and took it to the range to test fire it and bake on the paint. It cooked off the last few rounds of the fourth mag. A deputy on the pistol range stopped by to say hi after that. Fortunately he knew enough, and I was calm enough I guess, he realized the rifle hadn't been altered and was still smoking hot.
    Both times good muzzle discipline kept everyone safe and rounds going down range into a back stop.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom