Hurley's Gold

Post your craziest/scariest firearms incident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I had this same problem one time, somebody on here was able to tell me what to do to fix it, but unfortunately, I don't
    recall what the fix was.
    For some reason the website's software compresses every word to be right up against the last one so I'm unable to indent or start a new paragraph. I'm sure it's an easy fix and someone will post it.
    Gun Zone Deals

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    2 weeks back my LMTMWSE 308 went of as soon as I inserted mag and released the bolt, good it was pointing down range as a second habit. Not sure why

An operator was shooting his "brand new Kimber" spraying rem lube on all the ammo, cleaning gun. Problem was he was shooting a silhouette target at 5 yards, and he shot everything but the target.
    P.S I might be wrong but seemed like he was trying to shoot a "hostage taker behind the target" :D

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Another story: While sighting in my rifle in preparation for hunting season I noticed that another shooter at the range was struggling with his bolt after every shot. I watched him for a bit and was astounded by the large, intense muzzle flash from his rifle. I'm not one of those types who sticks his nose into everybody's business at the range but I knew something was amiss with this guy so I went over to talk to him. He was shooting a Remington 700 (luckily!) chambered in 7mm Remington Express aka .280 Remington and I asked him if I could look at one of his fired cases. The case showed every known sign of excessive pressure; flattened primer which had extruded around the firing pin, burnish marks from the extractor and a bright ring suggesting incipient head separation. I warned him that his loads were dangerous and should immediately stop firing them, to which he snottily responded that his Father-in-Law reloaded the cartridges for him, something he had been doing since The Flood and that there was NO way the reloads were at fault. "Suit yerself", I said and went back to my shooting position. Well, the next shot he let go set his action back and locked his rifle up. I watched as he struggled vainly to force the bolt open. Finally he turned to me for help, telling me that he and his Father-in-Law were leaving in the morning to go hunting and he needed his rifle. I retrieved a hammer from my truck and told him to CAREFULLY tap the bolt handle to see if he could open the action but this guy winds up, gives the hammer an MLB round-house swing and "PIINNGGGG!!!", breaks the bolt handle off! "Looks like yer goin' to have to club the deer to death", I tell him. I ask him what the load was his FIL was using and he tells me 54 grains of IMR 4198 (or something like that, I can't remember exactly what he told me twenty years ago). I was a big-time reloader back then and remember thinking that it was a massive overload of whatever powder he used. I asked him if his FIL was dyslexic, to which he responded, "Yes, how do you know that?". I told him because he should be using 45 grains, not 54! Moral of the story....well, nuff said.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I was at a range last weekend sighting in a couple of rifles. I was sitting on a 25 yard station. A gentleman was out with his wife and kids, sighting in a new AR (with plans to let his kids shoot .22 afterwards). Well, he got off about 5 rounds before the AR went full auto and dumped the mag. He very loudly said "F This" after the mag was dumped. He pulled the gun off the line, swept me, and then pointed it straight down at the ground. He started fiddling with the gun before clearing it. A RO was over in an instant, grabbed the gun and cleared it. At this point a decent crowd had gathered. The gentleman was advised that his weapon was no longer welcome at the range, and that he should take it apart until he could get it fixed.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    By accident?

lol not enough insurance my first 1911. just cleaned and oiled it. lowered the hammer on a loaded 1911, slip bang through the tv, wall,
    dresser mirror,round traveled down the back side of said mirror. Thank JESUS, because she was in the flight path. but defelection saved her life.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Remembered a couple more:

Fudd at rifle range.
    Had a Remington semi-auto .30-06 set up on the shooting bench, perched on top of sand bags. Loaded. Safety off.
    Fudd walks off from rifle.
    Wind blows. Rifle falls off bags. Rifle hits ground butt first. BOOM! Bullet shatters light fixture on ceiling of overhang/puts hole in roof.
    Luckily the rifle then fell over and didn't fire again.
    And yes it had rechambered and was ready to fire.

Funny more than scary story:
    Guy out at the deer lease.
    Has scoped .357mag revo. Wants to shoot it. Okay.
    Set out a couple of empty beer cans filled with water as targets. Backstop good. Nice high berm to shoot into. Downrange clear. Good to go.
    Guy leans over on his truck hood, resting pistol on edge of hood, to shoot across the hood . Truck is his new 1983 Chevy.
    I'm off to the side watching targets. BOOM! No impact on target area.
    Wow. Guy your shooting svcks. Try again.
    BOOM! No impact. WTF????
    I call cease fire. Investigate.
    Bullets had struck the ridge in the middle of the truck hood!
    From where he was resting the pistol he could clearly see the target thru his scope. The actual bullet path was much lower.
    When fired, the bullets went just along the hood, impacting the small ridge in the center of the hood, punching thru, and lodging on inside of fender on opposite side of truck.
    Thank goodness he was using El-Cheapo 38 Special ammo! Full power 357mag would of blown holes in the side of the truck!
    And Yes....he mad. :roflfunny:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    ND: Cleaning two guns, loaded one, set it aside and then went back to it and didn't check if it was loaded before I pulled the trigger. Boom, .45 acp bounced off the table and hit the door frame up high and got lost in the attic. If anyone had been standing at the end of the table they'd have been hit even though I had the muzzle pointed down at the table.

2nd Story

Shooting a 1911 with a friends reloads. Over pressured load, due to a under charge, blew out the base of the chambered cartridge and set off the cartridge below in the magazine.

My hands rung like a bell and then felt numb. The grips were blown off and a bunch of small brass slivers were embedded in my cheek and would have in my eye as well if I didn't have eye protection on.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Here's one:

Brother and I take our cousin to the range for the first time. We introduce him to the sport with a Ruger 10/22. My brother and I are shooting our ARs and Mini-14s. Brother is there to sight in a new scope for his Mini Ranch Rifle. Cousin is nervous but does great with the .22

We call cease fire and I walk down range to refresh targets. Apparently my brother wasn't paying attention at one point because my curious cousin decides to pick up one of the Mini-14s, racks a round into the chamber and shoots at the TARGET I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF POSTING UP!

Luckily his aim (or maybe the scope) was way off- round impacts the berm about six inches to my left before my brother wakes up and takes control of the rifle...

Mmmmm...mmmm...mmm... family.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Many years ago, me and my family, and all the BILs and SILs and family were down on the Guadalupe somewhere. Can't remember where exactly, but we were just below a dam. One BIL wanted to try out his new revolver. It was a smallish .22 cal, with a short barrel, unknown make. He and I were sitting on the bank at the edge of the river when he cocked the hammer back with his firing hand. As he did, the pistol slipped from his grip, but his finger was still in the trigger guard. The gun, loaded and cocked, flipped upside down, and ended up pointing directly at his chest, finger still in the trigger guard. With it still pointing at his chest, he says "Hey, look what happened!" I never would have known if he hadn't said anything, but for some reason he wanted me to see it. Another true story that proves beer and bullets don't mix.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have almost been negligently shot by more people than I can even remember.

What sticks in my mind the most is an incident that was the closest I've ever come to potentially having to shoot someone. It was roughly 30 minutes before closing at the range/gun store I worked at one point. A guy walks through the door. Within 2-4 seconds through the door, both I and several other switched on employees take notice of this guy. It's that thing that you can't quite describe, basically a gut feeling based on subconscious perceptions. Something about his demeanor, posture, clothing, mannerisms, etc. He then proceeds to systematically walk to all 4 corners of the store, while making small talk, and while also asking some very pointed questions that effectively amounted to, "What is the most expensive stuff here, and where is it?" If it's any indicator, it was serious and blatant enough that 2 or 3 of us all had our handguns in hand (the fastest drawstroke), just beneath the counter tops, as we honestly thought he was about to try and rob the place. It was actually kind of funny because, as this guy was making his rounds and asking his questions, I and 1 or 2 other employees were all on the same page, making eye contact with each other, kind of non-verbally moving ourselves around just a bit so that we wouldn't have a crossfire and would have safe backstops. LOL After just 2-4 minutes, the guy ends up leaving. Later on we found out that there was a crew of people robbing homes and I believe a few businesses I think, in that general area.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I was at a range near clear lake Texas a couple of years ago shooting my marlin lever action 22 loaded with some 22 LR cartridges of apparently dubious lineage. I cycled the action for the next shot, aimed, pulled the trigger, and got nothing but a soft click. I tried to cycle the action but it was stuck. So I counted to ten, pulled the rifle back, and as I grabbed it at the action it went pop. Damn good thing my daddy taught me to keep my guns pointed down range. I still got a slightly scared look from the two guys at the bench next to me.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    lol not enough insurance my first 1911. just cleaned and oiled it. lowered the hammer on a loaded 1911, slip bang through the tv, wall,
    dresser mirror,round traveled down the back side of said mirror. Thank JESUS, because she was in the flight path. but defelection saved her life.

For this reason, i will never again lower a 1911 hammer on a loaded chamber. My negligently discharged 230gr JHP blew the hell out of the hotel room's ice bucket and coffee pot, bounced off the brick wall, and gently hit me in the shin.

Top Bottom