Texas SOT

Post your craziest/scariest firearms incident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Decades ago my brother and I both had a substantial firearms collections in Canada and enjoyed firing them on a regular basis. Several were classed as CA (Converted Autos) in Canada and were originally Full Auto such as our M1918 BAR, M1928 Thompson, M1A Thompson, Reising, MG08, BREN MkI, Japanese "Woodpecker", and U.S. Rifle M14 to name but a few. We took them to Three Gun matches on both sides of the border in order to not just enjoy firing them, but to use them tactically with the original web gear. Here's what happened at one match in Washington State when my brother brought his BAR which he had just gotten back from the gunsmith from being converted to semi-auto only: I was first up at a rifle stage, stepped into the shooter's box, slapped a loaded mag in and made ready. When the buzzer went off I raised the BAR to my shoulder, pulled the trigger and heard "THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP,THUMP!" "BRO! we're leavin'!!!" I shouted! The BAR was still Full Auto and he had just brought a Full Auto into the U.S. Fortunately he was able to get back across the border and get the gunsmith to finish the job without incident. I still have nightmares over the legal ramifications we could have encountered that day! (P.S. How does one break this post up into more than one paragraph when hitting "Enter" or the "space" bar doesn't work?)
    Capitol Armory ad

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Guy shot himself in the hand st a range I was shooting at

Just read a story about a guy who's nighthawk 1911 fell onto the bathroom floor and fired off a round! Yikes!

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    1. My uncle came over to fix my stepdad's .357 revolver when I was younger. I was walking through the bedroom with a load of laundry about the time my mom was telling him "it's loa..." then BOOOOOOOM! About three feet behind my head after I just walked by.

2. Same booger-eating retarded uncle showing my mom a Beretta for her purse. He's explaining all the safety features and she asks "what if my keys get caught on this (pulling the hammer back)" and BOOOOOOOM! Shoots through his hand.

Needless to say, I run for cover when this uncle even mentions firearms.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    my son had my 243 blow up because of a bad reloaded round. Scared the crap out of me. Thankfully he was ok, with just some minor wounds .

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Buddies and I are shooting at an unsupervised gun range in Angeles Crest Forest. A sketchy group of thugs drive slowly past us so we turn our attention to them and rack our ARs and M1As. They drive off sneering.

A few minutes later we hear a rapid volley of gunfire just down the canyon from us and see the thug car speeding off towards the exit. A few moments later a woman comes down the canyon screaming that her husband has been shot so we rush to give aid. We find an older gentleman on the ground with lacerations across his face and neck - the windshield of his truck is shattered. The thugs stole all of the guns out of the back of the man's pickup.

I stem the bleeding and treat him for shock while one of my buddies drives off to get help. A little while later the man is airlifted out of the range. Cops ask us if we want to stick around for the news crew but we hightail it out of there.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I was helping my idiot sister move when I was a teenager. We pulled the top mattress off her bed and there was the little black hammerless .32 pistol she owned but (to my knowledge) never fired. So she picks the pistol up and pulls the magazine out, then wonders out loud if it's loaded (chambered). She decides to rack the slide but lacks the strength to pull it all the way back.

Does she hand it to me to eject the possible chambered round, since I'm stronger than her?

No. She points it at the mattress near my knee and fires it. The bullet skipped off the mattress (leaving an interesting crease with singed edges), bounces off the wall behind me, and lands near my opposite side.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My father had two "accidental" discharges when I was a kid. I do not know what he was doing to cause them. One time he shot the vacuum cleaner. I still think he did it just for fun. On another occasion a round when through our neighbor's wall. I remember the look on his face as he inspected the wall and realized he had to go knock on their door and see if everyone was okay. I have no idea if he let them know why.

@pilgrim, I think I remember hearing about that. I knew a lot of people that shot up in Angeles Crest Forest.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Old Fudd at the shooting range.
    Had his car backed up to the back side of thee firing line. Trunk open.
    Old Fudd takes his rifle and places it in one of those old school long soft zipper sided cases.
    Tosses it into the trunk. BOOM! Rifle discharges sideways out of side of trunk.
    Luckily no one was on that side of the car.

Dipweed co-worker has new single action 22 revolver and western style gun belt.
    Yep. Just HAD to play Wild Bill Hickock.
    BOOM! Right through the top of his foot.

kid I went to high school with. He and I were fixing to go out hunting.
    He was playing around with his dads 22 rifle on the back porch as we were leaving the house.
    He throws it to his shoulder aiming at his mothers dog.
    BOOM! Kills Moms dog.
    But I didn't know it was loaded!
    I got burial detail while Mom whipped the tar out him.

Deer hunting down south.
    Riding in the back of a pickup with another hunter on the lease.
    He was holding his rifle in his hands when the truck fell off into a giant pot hole on the pasture road.
    We all sort of smashed together.
    BOOM! 7mm Mag goes off about 6 inches from my face.

One evening returning from a deer hunt to cabin. Very dark.
    Another hunter came in just as I did.
    We were unloading our rifles.
    He checked his by snapping the trigger.
    BOOM!
    30-06 hole in the roof.
    That one really scared me for some reason.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm really glad to say I don't have any close calls but it's always good to hear about when people do, so we can all keep safety first. Yikes.

+1 on that. I was just thinking "Wow I'm glad I have nothing to add to this thread." As a kid, I did pull the bullet out of some shells, dump the powder out and put the shell pointing down in a vise, then hit the primers with a hammer for the rim-fires or hammer + nail for centerfire. Mom was not pleased.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    We broke 12ga shells down.
    Flare the powder, pop the primers with the shell in a vise, melt the lead. I aint sure what we did with the lead.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    @pilgrim, I think I remember hearing about that. I knew a lot of people that shot up in Angeles Crest Forest.

Yeah, that's a bad place to shoot - I think they closed those ranges down. A friend of mine from the Army was shot in the shoulder a few years ago because some jackasses mixing beer and guns decided it would be a good idea to shoot down the canyon towards him.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .50 BMG, no hearing protection.

Went to another world for a little bit I think.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, that's a bad place to shoot - I think they closed those ranges down. A friend of mine from the Army was shot in the shoulder a few years ago because some jackasses mixing beer and guns decided it would be a good idea to shoot down the canyon towards him.

Yup. They are all closed down now.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Just remember this. Back in high school a friend came to our place to shoot his 357 mag. He did a quick draw and shot a hole in his foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Not knowing any better (when we really did), my cousins and I took turns shooting a Daisy BB gun at the primer of a 12 gauge shotgun shell we laid on a log about five feet away. It took a lot of shots, but eventually my shot hit the primer and chaos ensued.

Got our butts beat good by my father and uncle.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I grew up in Chicago. That said, my cousin (who is a poster child of self destruction) found a handgun on a empty lot in his neighborhood and proceded to bang it against a brick with the.barrel pointing directly at his face. The gun fired and the bullet went through his cheek and exited out of the back of his head. He did survive. And is currently in prison.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I grew up in Chicago. That said, my cousin (who is a poster child of self destruction) found a handgun on a empty lot in his neighborhood and proceded to bang it against a brick with the.barrel pointing directly at his face. The gun fired and the bullet went through his cheek and exited out of the back of his head. He did survive. And is currently in prison.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

1st place.

Top Bottom