• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WTK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Georgetown, TX
    I always try not to show serial numbers of my guns on any public posting.
    I'm afraid someone might report the gun stolen.
    I can see a lot of ways to defend against that but I also see a lot of hassle.
    any thoughts?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Don't offer or request any information that is not essential to the transaction. That applies to anything that you buy or sell.

Flash

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I use Power Point or other drawing program to cover the serial.

3913-2.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I always try not to show serial numbers of my guns on any public posting.
    I'm afraid someone might report the gun stolen.
    I can see a lot of ways to defend against that but I also see a lot of hassle.
    any thoughts?

I think it's a silly thing to be afraid of.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Im simple I've posted up close and personal pictures of mine. Never thought about it.
    If they are stolen, i know I'm out the money. But so were they.
    And they deserve to get it back. Just like me if mine were stolen

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I usually cover the SN, but I know it's really not necessary. People see the SN's on my guns all the time at the range etc.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    If it's one of mine, I don't worry about it.

On the rare occasion I have posted a photo of someone else's firearm (with permission), I blur the SN with an editing program.

Certainly don't want to presume that everyone is as willing to fight back.

WTK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Georgetown, TX
    Im simple I've posted up close and personal pictures of mine. Never thought about it.
    If they are stolen, i know I'm out the money. But so were they.
    And they deserve to get it back. Just like me if mine were stolen

Yes, when I buy a gun from an individual I check the SN with local police.
    I would rather loose the money and gun than be in possession of a stolen gun.
    I was thinking of more of fraudulently reporting a stolen gun.

MitchKov

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    If its purchased through an FFL, it would theoretically be possible to run a trace. Whenever a gun is used in a crime or recovered when someone is arrested they generally run a trace on the firearm. Not sure they would use resources in that manner to clear an individual, but maybe you could claim it was a false report...just thinking out loud here. Private sale with no record of purchase may be harder to prove, but then would they need to prove it was theirs beyond just saying so if you challenged it? I'm sure the firearm would be confiscated and it would take a while to figure everything out...gun could be "misplaced", get banged up and/or suffer neglect in police custody.

Hopefully noone would do this, although I'm sure its happened (even if by accident...transcription error with serial number in your records and it gets stolen)

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, when I buy a gun from an individual I check the SN with local police.
    I would rather loose the money and gun than be in possession of a stolen gun.
    I was thinking of more of fraudulently reporting a stolen gun.

I wish someone would do this to me. Why? Because then I could have the fun of pressing charges on them. The person would have to give their info to the cops to report a stolen firearm. When the cops find out it was a scam I would bet they would get plenty pissed. Really just a dumb thing to do and without any real sense to doing so. Now maybe someone you bought a gun from or some trade gone bad, or what have you, could report it and have some luck but they would of had the chance to get the number regardless of you posting it.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I see no benefit from putting that info out there for the whole world to see.

There's a few scenarios regarding NFA items that could lead to unnecessary hassles.

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    My concern is not that some fool will try to steal my gun if they have the serial number. It's some scammer stealing the photos and using them to trick some poor sap into sending them money. The NFA boards are overrun with fraudsters now.

If the scammee gets in touch with law enforcement the gun's make, model and serial number from the stolen photos is all they have to go on and NFA branch can look up the serial # in the registry. Might be getting a call from ATF that could have otherwise been avoided. Even if you just have to tell them 'No I still have the gun I never sold it to Mr XYZ for $25,000' it's still more inconvenience than if you had just not put that info out there for every Nigerian prince to use.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    theres always an idiot on the internet with nothing better to do, so I don't post any pics with SN on them, or any other pics with anything that anyone can use to hurt me. Like turning off location services on your phone's photo program. If you don't you could post a pic that has the data in it that tells someone exactly on the earth where it was taken.
    Also any pics of my shop or property won't have anything in them like license plate numbers or house address numbers either.

WTK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Georgetown, TX
    I wish someone would do this to me. Why? Because then I could have the fun of pressing charges on them. The person would have to give their info to the cops to report a stolen firearm. When the cops find out it was a scam I would bet they would get plenty pissed. Really just a dumb thing to do and without any real sense to doing so. Now maybe someone you bought a gun from or some trade gone bad, or what have you, could report it and have some luck but they would of had the chance to get the number regardless of you posting it.

maybe, That would be great. Or, they might just say "ok, scene we can't confiscate a gun its just 'no harm, no foul' forget it"

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    maybe, That would be great. Or, they might just say "ok, scene we can't confiscate a gun its just 'no harm, no foul' forget it"
    I've never met a real anti gun cop here in Texas. Some get a bit nervous or think they need to be super pro active and control all guns near them but they aren't really looking to grab guns unless they think you're a BG. I know it's popular to be all anti govt but honestly most of the cops seem pretty ok with guns based on how many times I've herd them say it is ok with them if a BG was shot by a citizen. That somehow you think they wouldn't mind getting jerked around by a false report? Well we just have major differences on how we view cops.

Top Bottom