Join TexasGunTalk

Potential Move to Austin

Discussion in 'Austin' started by SQLGeek, Jul 24, 2019.

1. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Good point. I commuted 63 miles each way to downtown Dallas for almost 20 years until 2 years ago. 60 minutes in the morning and 80 minutes in the afternoon but I worked a 6am - 3pm shift. I knew people who came in at 9am from less than 20 miles away and would spend 1.5 hours each way.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep, starting early and ending early helps a bit.

3. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thank you. Is Liberty Hill ISD worth the distance?

Round Rock could be a contender maybe and it looks like the schools are decent.

I'm sure we will end up renting before buying but I'd like to try to avoid moving school districts if possible. The timing isn't so great for this with school starting in August so the less churn the better.

Not an option I'm considering at this time. The opportunity is too good. You can remind me of that if I start complaining in a year. :)

Yes more than likely but that remains to be seen for sure. It's not a clock in/clock out type of job so that should be do-able. In reality I may not even be going into the office every day but instead traveling or visiting client sites.

But that said, the nature of the job is that public transit wouldn't work. I hate taking it anyway so no biggie for me either way.

Appreciate the advice, folks. Sounds like there are some shooting options out there so I won't totally be out in the cold. I am still in the process so this may all be for naught but I needed to get the research done now to make an informed decision. If an offer is to be made, I expect it will be in the next 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    ZX9RCAM and FireInTheWire like this.
  4. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Best of luck. Hope the wind is in your favor.

Sam7sf and SQLGeek like this.
  5. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thank you!

6. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What part of town is the office located?

7. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Market District right by the river.

8. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Depends on what you value and how your kids can adjust. Mine went from small schools/classes most of their life to a big school and were miserable.

Were it I, I would be in Liberty Hill, for a lot of reasons, not just the ISD.

RR is big school. Plus, you’re really going to want to research what the feeder plan is.

Oh yeah, be aware that Austin city limits cross into Williamson County. I

9. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ah... well you're screwed on the commute no matter what then. Georgetown is nice. Liberty Hill is too.

I live in Round Rock and like it, but we recently got bus routes so you know it's going down hill.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  10. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I kind of figured that'd be the case. Working downtown in a few different cities usually means everyone gets to suffer getting there.