• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I bought my 1911 from a friend who reloaded his own ammo. Along with the gun, I got over 600 rounds of JHP's and wadcutters. I also got a lot of brass and Speer practice plastic rounds. I ended up selling the brass since I didn't think I'd do any reloading. Well now, the inevitable has arrived. I'm down to my last 100 rounds of wadcutters and I'm seriously thinking of starting to reload my own .45's. I know in the long run it'll be cheaper since I plan on really stepping up my practice time and doing a little IDPA shooting.
    I've purchased two books on reloading, but I'm asking the real-world reloading guys to chime in on what would be the best way to get into it as far as the actual setup. I don't want to go broke buying the best, but I would like to spend my money wisely. I figure that if I use it enough and want to upgrade, I can sell the entry level stuff to help finance the better equipment. Mind you, I only plan on reloading my .45ACP's now. I may get into loading my own 7mm Rem Mags in the future since they take a bigger chunk out of the wallet. Thanks in advance.
    Target Sports

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I advise either a quality single stage or turret press. Either one will still be useful 20 years from now(and will still be in great shape if properly maintained).

If you're going to need lots of pistol ammo, you should also look into a progressive after you get the basics down. Here I wholeheartedly recommend any of the Dillon progressives. The Square Deal B is limited to a few pistol calibers and won't load rifle ammo. The 550 is the next step up and will load either rifle or handgun cartridges---BUT the now available casefeeder will only work for pistol cases. The XL650 is another step up, and features automatic indexing along with the casefeeder working for both rifle or handgun cartridges. The 1050 is a commercial grade machine and probably way overkill for your intended use(also, it's lots of $$$$$).

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    A friend who does a lot of reloading said I could get into an entry level kit for about $250 or so and since I'm planning on reloading only my .45, it's probably all I'll need.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I wouldn't recommend buying a "starter" press. If you plan on reloading alot of ammo, go ahead and get a progressive. I bought a single stage lee anniversary kit several weeks ago, and I'm already looking for a progressive. It's just too cumbersome and time consuming, I feel like I threw away all that money that could've gone toward something that'll produce 500rds an hour. As it is I reckon I spend 5 hours loading/cleaning for every half hour of shooting. So who cares if your saving money when you could be saving time? $.02

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't recommend buying a "starter" press. If you plan on reloading alot of ammo, go ahead and get a progressive. I bought a single stage lee anniversary kit several weeks ago, and I'm already looking for a progressive. It's just too cumbersome and time consuming, I feel like I threw away all that money that could've gone toward something that'll produce 500rds an hour. As it is I reckon I spend 5 hours loading/cleaning for every half hour of shooting. So who cares if your saving money when you could be saving time? $.02

Great point. I'd much rather spend the extra cash and have a decent setup rather than throw $150 away that could go to brass or something else. I think I know what I'm doing with part of my stimulus check!

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    What about Lee presses, specifically the Lee Pro 1000 or the Load-Master? Quality? I've seen a few of their progressive "starter" kits for about $250 and I'm one of the 'you get what you pay for' people so I'm assuming it could be a waste of money.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Quote: "What about Lee presses, specifically the Lee Pro 1000 or the Load-Master? Quality? "

You can get opinions on both sides of this question but not from me. I do not recommend Lee equipment to my friends who want to get into reloading. Based on my experience (started reloading in '64), I suggest better quality equipment such as RCBS or Hornady. Many people like Dillon machines but I prefer the two brands mentioned. There are several good brands of dies: RCBS, Hornady, Redding.

As for single station vs progressive presses, I think it is better to start with a quality single station press. It will continue to be useful for many years even if you add a progressive press later. I still use an old Bair (similar to C-H) 3 station H press which is about 35 years old, even though I now have three Hornady progressive presses. YMMV.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Just wanted to add an opinion. If you have never reloaded before, it is nice to learn on a single stage press, since you have to get the basics down about how to resize, bell, prime pistol cases and learn about weighing powder charges, etc.
    Jumping straight to a progressive type machine may cause some headaches, if you do not have someone locally who can show you "how-to" when you run into a problem.
    Which brings up the point; do you have someone who can help you get started?

I started loading when I was in high school on an RCBS Junior, for my .243. When I started shooting Bullseye back in the '70s, there were very few progressive type machines out there. Luckily, I picked up a used, but in good condition Star Machine Works press in .45 ACP with an extra tool head for .38 Special. Dillon used the Star design as a springboard for his line of presses. Stars were in production before WW II in San Diego and are still made by a guy Pioneer, California.

The knowledge I gained from my early reloading efforts gave me enough insight on how to make sure the Star was producing rounds that were not only consistent but able to function through my Bullseye guns. Any progressive press needs to be set up, so that all the stations are doing their function correctly; resizing, depriming, priming, belling, powder drop, bullet seat and crimp.

Beside the press, whatever you choose, remember; you'll still need some kind of scale to check powder charges, a full length case gauge, a set of calipers, powder funnel for filling the powder tube on a progressive machine, primer flipper tray, primer pick-up tubes, etc. etc.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Great points all the way around. The guy who sold the 1911 to me has reloaded for almost 40 years. I was just telling my wife that if he hasn't sold or gotten rid of all of his .45 components, he could help me out. He uses a single stage setup exclusively because he shoots competitively and likes the control and consistency.

sbb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S/E Texas coast
    It is not any more difficult to learn to reload on a progressive than it is on a single stage press. You must, however, be very detailed in the initial set up of your press. Just as you would in setting up each individual die on a single stage. A progressive does move at quite a clip once you have brass in all of the various stages. A simple check of COL and a check of the powder charge every 5 rounds for the first 20 is usually adequate. You can also use your calipers to check the other dimensions of your completed rounds. If you pay attention to your work without distractions of television or visitors you will do fine with a progressive.

Do a search on you tube for reloading and you will find quite a few videos showing reloading on a progressive press. Do some more research and make your decision based on your comfort level. Best of luck in your quest.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    It is not any more difficult to learn to reload on a progressive than it is on a single stage press. You must, however, be very detailed in the initial set up of your press. Just as you would in setting up each individual die on a single stage. A progressive does move at quite a clip once you have brass in all of the various stages. A simple check of COL and a check of the powder charge every 5 rounds for the first 20 is usually adequate. You can also use your calipers to check the other dimensions of your completed rounds. If you pay attention to your work without distractions of television or visitors you will do fine with a progressive.

Do a search on you tube for reloading and you will find quite a few videos showing reloading on a progressive press. Do some more research and make your decision based on your comfort level. Best of luck in your quest.

I was going to ask what reading material I should look for in order to get up to speed on this and I didn't even think of youtube. Great suggestion!
    BTW, any good books I should look into for this purpose?

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Chevy,
    I agree that visiting and observing an experienced reloader can be a BIG help in getting started with reloading. I had someone to help me back in 1964 and in turn I have helped several new reloaders get past the myriad of Beginner's Stumbling Blocks.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I dropped by my local range today and they have three Dillon presses and the guy behind the counter insisted I buy a Dillon. The bad part is that he didn't give two hoots at my statement about not having that kind of money lying around. I hate salesmen!

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Chevy,
    I agree that visiting and observing an experienced reloader can be a BIG help in getting started with reloading. I had someone to help me back in 1964 and in turn I have helped several new reloaders get past the myriad of Beginner's Stumbling Blocks.

I just watched a guy on youtube go through the basics, setting the dies and actual reloading of 200 rounds. I really understand the process now.

Now I'm looking at a big initial hit to the wallet with all the reloading manuals and equipment, but it'll be worth it.;)

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Now I'm looking at a big initial hit to the wallet with all the reloading manuals and equipment, but it'll be worth it.;)

Chevy,
    When I started reloading seriously in 1964, I was a young teacher only a year out of college and freshly married. Bought a Saeco melting pot, Saeco lubrisizer, Lyman bullet mold, C-H 3 station H press, RCBS dies, and Lyman scale. Paid $200 total as I recall and got equipment in early July. With the reloading stuff, I was shooting 5-10 boxes of ammo per week. My reloads cost about $.50 cents a box vs $5.50 for factory ammo. When school started in Sept, I had already saved more than the total cost of my reloading gear. Later, I moved into the corporate world of computers and had more money to spend but less free time for shooting. Don't know which was worse. :confused:

sbb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S/E Texas coast
    I just watched a guy on youtube go through the basics, setting the dies and actual reloading of 200 rounds. I really understand the process now.

Chevy, While the initial cost of a Dillon can be quite a hit to the wallet, the value of the press will be close to the original price years from now. Take a look at eBay and you will see presses that are several years old selling for almost the price of new.

After the initial outlay for the press and accessories you can begin having fun shootin your own loadsl at far less cost.

One other suggestion, be sure to obtain several reloading manuals and do a lot of study. This is a hobby that can pay for itself over time. How long you ask----that depends on how much you shoot.

73Driver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    North of Houston
    New to reloading

Chevy,

It sounds like I may be about two months further into the reloading walk than you are and this is my journey.

Two reloading books, one from a powder manufacturer and one from a projectile manufacturer. This gives two views to the same objective. I did this research before I threw the handle the first time. Do a Google search on the caliber you plan reloading to get some observations and reload data from people that have been doing reloading and has some statistical data on the loads. Lastly, I have reloaded almost 2000 rounds in a single stage press that my mentor loaned me. I have ordered a Dillon 550 with just enough bells and whistles to help the process. I didn't get the case feed etc. but a good starting point and I can add on later. The 550 was purchased because, with the manual advance, I can operate it like a single stage press doing one operation at a time. Once I am a little more proficient at reloading I can increase the output from around 40 an hour now to over 100 without further investment. I also have the option of going back and adding the case feed etc. and really bumping up the output.

This is NOT a recommendation that the blue press is better than the green or red, just the direction I went that makes the most economical sense for my situation.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    It all depends on volume.

First, all the options will make ammo of equal quality given the will to do so. The difference is speed. As for myself, I'll say DIllon. The machines are great and the customer service/lifetime warranty is second to none.

My first Dillon (and my second for that matter) was a RL450. The 450 had a fixed die head. Dillon started offering stripped 550 frames so you could pull all the parts off your 450 and install them on their 550 frame to take advantage of the swappable tool head for caliber conversions. I took one and converted it to a 550 frame. I ended up selling the other 450. I even sold the stripped 450 frame for a surprising amount of money.

Recently my Dillon (I call it a 500 since it's half 450 and half 550) started feeling a bit stiff. It turns out the swing arms were worn out. They only lasted 45 years. No problem, I took a few pics, called Dillon and sent the pics to the guy I was talking too while I had him on the phone. He sent me a pair of new swing arms at no charge under their lifetime no BS warranty. I'm back up and running.

A few hundred rounds a month then a single stage is fine, if you're pushing 1,000 rounds a month then a progressive is probably better assuming you have, you know, like a job and kids and stuff. If you're retired it's your call. Some enjoy reloading as a hobby unto itself.

Hey, I know a guy who loaded 400-600 rounds a month with a Lee Loader! He got a single stage and was so happy!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom