• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    was getting to the point that it was too much work to size/lube the 405 gr GC in my star. was just too damn hard to push the slug thru the die even with a lube heater and air assist. and i'll be damned if im gonna shoot colored slugs. so ordered some CLEAR powder, found a convection oven, saw a much quicker way to PC on u tube, and now the bullets take about 1/100 as much muscle to go thru the die. shoulder surgery was making it not fun. now its nothing and the bullets come out slightly shiny, not zombie green or ho house red. back in business. not gonna pc for the other calibers as they lube/size just fine. but them 45-70s were a bear.
    Guns International

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i am at home and have limited bandwidth as live in the country so u tube is a no no. i watched this one when at my daughters house last week and am going back there tomorrow so will see if i can find it again. in summary, he heated up cast slugs in his convection oven at precisely 140 deg for 4 minutes then dumped them into a cool whip bowel with LOTS of powder in it (NO BBs), shook for a minute or so, dumped out slugs onto a screen and let the excess powder fall through to a pan for recovery, PLACED the slugs on the screen over a different pan and into the oven at 400 for 15 minutes. then remove and cool. what i do is exactly as he does but as my oven is preheating to 400 i put the uncoated slugs into it for a coupla minutes or so until warm almost hot to the touch then into the bowel of powder and continue as per his method. they come out coated like crazy all over. i am not anal about times or temps. when the PC starts to get wet i hold it there at that temp for 10 min or so. the coating is hard but slick as snot. i do size but mainly to get the gas check on. the reservoir still has lots of lube in it so they get lubed too, for now. this method means no bbs, no touching the slugs from start to finish. they go in the sizer and come out at .460.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    PC works great in BO, 30/30 and 308W. Upper 3 are mine, others are my buddies ranging the BDC @ 200 yds. MV=2400 fps 168gr cast.

Attachments

• TgtGfx14.jpg
      TgtGfx14.jpg
      195.8 KB · Views: 109
    Top Bottom