POWder coating, good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by SiNNiK, May 13, 2008.

1. SiNNiK

SiNNiK New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I took the SNT to the range yesterday and ran a few rounds through it with the new mag extension on it. Had a blast but now, as I knew it would, the finish on the extension is fubar'd.

I was wondering if I get the extension powder coated, would it stand up to the discoloration better than the factory finish. If it would, would it be a bad idea to coat it with a gawdy outlandish color (like orange or lime green), or should I go with black or gray to keep it from looking like a toy?

The Damage:
    [​IMG]

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Is the finish actually compromised or is it just dirty as all get out? If it is just powder it should come clean with some bore scrubber and elbow grease. If it is actually getting hit by pellets exiting the muzzle you are in a whole different realm of problems. As for powder coating should you decide to do so I would go with a dark grey or black. A bright color will accentuate the fact that it is taking some abuse from the powder and potentially raise safety concerns from other nearby parties. I.E. "You sure that thing is safe stickin out like that?" types of questions. Just my thoughts, I may be way off.

3. SiNNiK

SiNNiK New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I appreciate your thoughts juwaba98. They discoloration is from the gases, it hasn't been struck by any projectiles. I'll try some bore cleaner on it real quick and see if it helps, it sure can't hurt at this point huh? :(

4. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Definitely get some gun scrubber or Hoppes #9 solvent.

5. SiNNiK

SiNNiK New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Ok mac, will do. Thanks.

6. jdh

jdh Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Just talked to one of the guys in the fab shop. He said if the surface is prepped perfectly, if the correct powder is used, and if the applicator follows the process exactly it MAY last a little while.

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think I'd be looking at something designed for a firearm, like Rogaurd hard chrome etc. Depending on the color you wanted.

8. Mark F

Mark F Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Get it PARKERIZED, and your worries are over.

9. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    Park it and forget about it, as much as I like powdercoating - I don't think it would stand up to this kind of abuse.

Ship it to "Muthers Parkerizing" in New Braunfels, tell Roger that Dan sent you! He is a good friend of mine and does great work at very reasonable prices, I am not a salesman - but I am a very satisfied customer. He did an AK parks kit and reciever for me and it turned out great.

10. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Do you have a phone number or address? I have a few things I need to be parkerized. Especially since it's less than an hour from my house!:D