• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SiNNiK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I took the SNT to the range yesterday and ran a few rounds through it with the new mag extension on it. Had a blast but now, as I knew it would, the finish on the extension is fubar'd.

I was wondering if I get the extension powder coated, would it stand up to the discoloration better than the factory finish. If it would, would it be a bad idea to coat it with a gawdy outlandish color (like orange or lime green), or should I go with black or gray to keep it from looking like a toy?

The Damage:
    blemish.jpg
    Lynx Defense

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Is the finish actually compromised or is it just dirty as all get out? If it is just powder it should come clean with some bore scrubber and elbow grease. If it is actually getting hit by pellets exiting the muzzle you are in a whole different realm of problems. As for powder coating should you decide to do so I would go with a dark grey or black. A bright color will accentuate the fact that it is taking some abuse from the powder and potentially raise safety concerns from other nearby parties. I.E. "You sure that thing is safe stickin out like that?" types of questions. Just my thoughts, I may be way off.

SiNNiK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I appreciate your thoughts juwaba98. They discoloration is from the gases, it hasn't been struck by any projectiles. I'll try some bore cleaner on it real quick and see if it helps, it sure can't hurt at this point huh? :(

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Just talked to one of the guys in the fab shop. He said if the surface is prepped perfectly, if the correct powder is used, and if the applicator follows the process exactly it MAY last a little while.

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I took the SNT to the range yesterday and ran a few rounds through it with the new mag extension on it. Had a blast but now, as I knew it would, the finish on the extension is fubar'd.

I was wondering if I get the extension powder coated, would it stand up to the discoloration better than the factory finish. If it would, would it be a bad idea to coat it with a gawdy outlandish color (like orange or lime green), or should I go with black or gray to keep it from looking like a toy?

The Damage:
    blemish.jpg

Get it PARKERIZED, and your worries are over.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Park it and forget about it, as much as I like powdercoating - I don't think it would stand up to this kind of abuse.

Ship it to "Muthers Parkerizing" in New Braunfels, tell Roger that Dan sent you! He is a good friend of mine and does great work at very reasonable prices, I am not a salesman - but I am a very satisfied customer. He did an AK parks kit and reciever for me and it turned out great.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Park it and forget about it, as much as I like powdercoating - I don't think it would stand up to this kind of abuse.

Ship it to "Muthers Parkerizing" in New Braunfels, tell Roger that Dan sent you! He is a good friend of mine and does great work at very reasonable prices, I am not a salesman - but I am a very satisfied customer. He did an AK parks kit and reciever for me and it turned out great.

Do you have a phone number or address? I have a few things I need to be parkerized. Especially since it's less than an hour from my house!:D

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    No, I gave my only business card away to someone else that needed some parking done. You should be able to call information though - also, he is an FFL - so he can do whole guns/receivers.

But yeah, company name is Muthers Parkerizing.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Update, made a call and got his number for you.

Roger Robinson - Muther's Parkerizing - 830-629-6337

Tell him Dan from Fredericksburg sent you, he is a super super nice guy - it's funny because he's kind of an old hippy, but at the same time loves machineguns and tanks and all sorts of stuff like that. Both he and his son volunteer alot of thier time here at the Nimitz Museum.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Update, made a call and got his number for you.

Roger Robinson - Muther's Parkerizing - 830-629-6337

Tell him Dan from Fredericksburg sent you, he is a super super nice guy - it's funny because he's kind of an old hippy, but at the same time loves machineguns and tanks and all sorts of stuff like that. Both he and his son volunteer alot of thier time here at the Nimitz Museum.

I appreciate your help.:D I'll be sure to give him a call. Thanks again for the number.

knsgordon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    Fredericksburg
    Roger's number is 830-629-6337. Roger has done over ten guns for me and has also done some weapons painting for me. He does very good work and is very fast.

Top Bottom