• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    For every plated bullet I shoot (Berry's), I use the starting load data for a copper jacketed bullet and work up from there.

For peace of mind, compare the max loads for lead bullets and minimum loads for FMJ/jacketed bullets of the same weight. That will give you a good idea where to start. Many plated bullet manufacturers have maximum velocity data on their websites too.

Example:

38 Caliber 158 grain Lead Round Nose/Bullseye. Max 3.6 gr.

38 Caliber 158 grain Jacketed Hollow Point/Bullseye. Min 3.3 gr. Max 4.1 gr.

(Hornady Handbook, Third Edition).

Based on this information, I would step ladder load some .38 Special Plated bullet loads with 3.3 grain and 3.6 grain. If all works out well, and you see no signs of excessive pressure, you can go up some more until you find the "sweet" spot, but never exceed max!

The most accurate load for your firearms will almost always be far lower than the safe maximum pressure.

Always consult a reputable reloading manual and don't trust anything someone tells you on a forum.

Be safe. Good luck!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Use the lead (non-jacketed) data. It probably won't mean much on the .38, but at .357 velocities you can have problems. Plated bullets don't have as thick of a layer of copper as jacketed bullets; that's why they behave more like lead.

I've used plated bullets and found them to work just fine - as long as you don't push the velocity too hot.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Taken directly from Berry's Plated Bullets:

"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Berry's are pretty good quality plated bullets. All the reloading manuals say to use the lead data.

I had a neighbor that loaded some .40's fairly hot (but a load that worked fine for jacketed bullets). The targets looked like he was using a shotgun.

Top Bottom