• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I picked up a can of the Horizon whole powdered milk distributed by Costco. I figured I'd just have it on hand in case things got really bad - or so I don't have to make a 60-mile round trip to town to buy milk at the grandkids are here and need milk for their cereal. I'm not really much of a milk drinker and only use a little bit in my coffee, for baking, cooking, excetera. I would often have it sour before I could use it, even if I only bought a quart. Evaporated milk is great for coffee and cooking, but the can usually went bad before I could finish that as well.
    So far, I really like the Horizon powdered milk. If it's cold, it's drinkable, and in coffee or recipes you can't tell the difference in it and whole milk.
    I'm liking the fact that I can mix 8 ounces in a mason jar and store it in the refrigerator and use it up before it goes bad.

Amazon offers a multitude of brands, most of them cheaper than the Horizon brand. But, I don't want to buy something that's crap.

What brands have y'all tried that are fairly priced and stand up to comparison with whole milk?
    Lynx Defense

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Gossner pasteurized. Needs no refrigeration until ready to use.
    Even after opening stays good for a VERY long time.
    Hard to find but have seen it at $ Tree and some $ stores.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    That's the shelf-stable stuff? I've bought it before and it was good.
    Really hard to find lately.

I have even resorted to buying the small lunch box size containers of shelf stable milk with a straw stuck on the side. But, again, that's hard to find around here. So, I'm thinking of going with a powdered product that I can mix when needed.

crystalphoto

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Bethune, South Carolina

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ll second
    1652755561682.jpeg

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Not exactly an answer to the question you’re asking but a possible solution. If you have the freezer space you can freeze real milk for future use. I am talking about the half gallon cardboard cartons, not the plastic gallon milk jugs. Growing up in a military family, they would get paid once a month so my mom would go to the grocery store and buy a months worth of groceries to get us through. She would always buy extra milk and freeze it. Just an option for you.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Not exactly an answer to the question you’re asking but a possible solution. If you have the freezer space you can freeze real milk for future use. I am talking about the half gallon cardboard cartons, not the plastic gallon milk jugs. Growing up in a military family, they would get paid once a month so my mom would go to the grocery store and buy a months worth of groceries to get us through. She would always buy extra milk and freeze it. Just an option for you.
    With us becoming more and more like Venezuela every, day under Biden, soon we may not have electricity to run a freezer. Powdered milk is probably a good thing to have on hand just in case.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    With us becoming more and more like Venezuela every, day under Biden, soon we may not have electricity to run a freezer. Powdered milk is probably a good thing to have on hand just in case.
    That's why I recently got a solar system. I don't trust Ercot or any grid system for that matter.

Top Bottom