• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Sorry to see this little shop close up for the last time. My son and I went there many times over the years and always enjoyed the experience. Lots of different firearms and reasonable ammo prices at least prior to COVID. Anyone know what happened mind chiming in?

Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    If we are talking San Antonio - just North of Lackland, I believe it was owned by the Day family. I went in there many a time back in the late 80's - when the "old" man was still alive and in-charge. He could be a bit rough around the edges - especially if you asked what was perceived to me a stupid question - which I must have managed to do a time-or-three. Still, prices were reasonable and service was good. I spent more than I should have a few times because they had a great layaway plan!
    They were knowledgeable and capable gunsmiths. The owner's son was much more in-tune with customer service and ran interference for the dad.
    I remember the racks of Krags, Enfield's, Springfield's, Garands, etc., that were scattered around the floor of the place.
    Sorry to hear it has closed. I'd like to know, myself.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Powderhorn was always hit-or-miss for me. I initially had a bad customer service experience when I first started going there, to the point where I avoided the place for several years.

I eventually went back and bought a few things from them (not sure if that included any firearms, I honestly can't remember doing so), but I never really found them well stocked or reasonably priced.

I also didn't care for the fact their door was always locked, requiring someone to buzz you in.

That said, I figured the new entry ramp to 410 would help their business. It made it a lot easier to get back on that road as the previous merge ramp was further to the south, requiring the usual back-up on the access road at the Marbach intersection.

I wonder if Shoot Point Blank opening up just a mile and a half up the road had any impact on their business?

If not, their lack of an online presence, either for advertising or sales, never helped them be competitive.

Overall, the firearms market in SA has dropped considerably over the past few years as well. SAXET lost their venue after years at that location, and Don's Gun Shop closed a several years back.

So, which it is sad, I am not surprised...

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Never went to Powderhorn but wanted to. The only time I passed by was on the way to the SAXET and I didn't feel like trying to go back around.

Went to Don's Gun Shop once and the staff avoided helping me even with just 2 other customers in there. Never went back after that so screw 'em.

There's a few places I still want to visit in San Antonio. Mainly just Modern Elite Firearms, Adelbridge and Co. and the Gun Shack in Helotes.

Lonestar Handgun in Converse is a cool place to visit too.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    David and his Dad & I go back many years. I always got along w/Bob & David - guess it was just because I generally had a good idea of what I was looking for, and I loved listening to him talk about 'smithing.
    I was in about two weeks before they closed. David's in his early 60's, and I think the day-to-day grind of it all just finally wore him down. His clientele was such that he didn't need/want the internet and all the associated BS that comes along with it.
    He always left a little "meat on the bone" with his prices, and if you knew how to ask, he'd work a deal with you. I went in to buy a couple of Glocks when the youngest entered the academy years back just so we could shoot the same thing when we went to the range. When David found out why I was buying them, he hooked me up on a hell of a deal on a pair of PD trade-ins. Gonna miss him - he was Good People, as was his dad and mom.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Just heard about this the other day and was sorry to hear it. I was there some months back and the shelves were bare. I guess it's hard to stay in business with no stock. David always did right by be and was liberal with lay-a-ways.

Saguy46

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2021
    San Antonio
    There's a few places I still want to visit in San Antonio. Mainly just Modern Elite Firearms, Adelbridge and Co. and the Gun Shack in Helotes.

Lonestar Handgun in Converse is a cool place to visit too.
    Modern Elite is a great place. Not a lot of inventory these days, nor do they have a gunsmith currently, but I do all my FFL transfers with them. Chris is friendly and knowledgeable.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    That’s too bad.
    I stopped in to Powderhorn at the recommendation of another skeet shooter at the NSC. Nice shop ten years ago. Reasonable prices too.
    I do miss Don’s. He did good work and a bit cheaper that Dory’s. Pleasant man, cigarette smoke was a bit unpleasant, but not enough to keep me away.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    That’s too bad.
    I stopped in to Powderhorn at the recommendation of another skeet shooter at the NSC. Nice shop ten years ago. Reasonable prices too.
    I do miss Don’s. He did good work and a bit cheaper that Dory’s. Pleasant man, cigarette smoke was a bit unpleasant, but not enough to keep me away.

Don's didn't have the best reputation, and as you stated, the shop was a mess.

I went with a buddy to check out an AKM they had for sale. It was a mess but the woman we spoke with swore it was in top shape.

I understand it's not the most common rifle, and the Kalashnikov has looser tolerances than an AR; but even a blind monkey in a tornado could tell that AK was a horribly ham-fisted build.

I inserted a steel magazine and it swayed like a kid on a swing-set. It had to be one of the worst mag well jobs I have ever seen on an AK, and I've seen my fair share of the things both here and abroad!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Dam this sucks as I was going to stop there about six months ago but had other priorities such as going to Coles Gunsmithing at the National Shooting Complex.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Top Bottom