• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Gov Abbott is requiring more PPE & the prices are skyrocketing.

My normal PPE vendor has managed to keep a trickle of PPE coming to me at normal prices. I started looking for additional sources today.

The $0.40 disposable gown I normally wear is $4 - $7 on the open market. KN-95 went from $0.70 to $5.50. Clear face shields are $5.50.

If I have to source on the open market & with the new requirements my cost per surgery is going from maybe $5 to $50!

Damn.
    Guns International

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We sold through our PPE and have been doing everything we can to source more. Only thing we have a 2 layer cotton masks (FEMA took the 4 layer) and paper surgical masks. We refuse to gouge on prices, which means we also have refused high costs and also refused offers from companies that can't prove the quality.

It's tough right now, but manufacturing is running full tilt.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    We sold through our PPE and have been doing everything we can to source more. Only thing we have a 2 layer cotton masks (FEMA took the 4 layer) and paper surgical masks. We refuse to gouge on prices, which means we also have refused high costs and also refused offers from companies that can't prove the quality.

It's tough right now, but manufacturing is running full tilt.
    If you add a blue shop towel, it will improve the filtering a significant amount.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I’m a real man dammit!! I don’t use that crap...then again I’ve already been sick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Try finding PPE for construction workers. It sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about them when I seen them disappearing early on from the hardware and paint supply vendors. Guys just trying to do their job while a bunch of hoarders are just sitting on the supply that was needed to do it. :50cal:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I thought about them when I seen them disappearing early on from the hardware and paint supply vendors. Guys just trying to do their job while a bunch of hoarders are just sitting on the supply that was needed to do it. :50cal:

They’re not “healthcare” so legit folks won’t sell us legit PPE it’s all homemade stuff. It’s bs.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I bought 3M respirators on eBay. The FDA has given emergency approval for any N95 or higher mask right now. The question will be whether or not I can use the mask when the emergency goes away. I hope 3M gets the FDA to certify them.

There are only a few FDA & NIOSH approved N95 masks. None are reusable.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I bought 3M respirators on eBay. The FDA has given emergency approval for any N95 or higher mask right now. The question will be whether or not I can use the mask when the emergency goes away. I hope 3M gets the FDA to certify them.

There are only a few FDA & NIOSH approved N95 masks. None are reusable.
    Get yourself one of those homemade peroxide vapor cabinets that sterilize the used stuff.

Probably not meant for surgical procedures where fluids or particulate are flying around though.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Get yourself one of those homemade peroxide vapor cabinets that sterilize the used stuff.

Probably not meant for surgical procedures where fluids or particulate are flying around though.
    Yep. The CDC says not to extend the life of PPE that was used in an aerosol generating procedure.

The CDC guidelines for extending the life of PPE are all for emergency situations. I've recommended against those measures to my colleagues that aren't in a hospital or other emergency situation. The boards here in TX have said if you don't have PPE don't reopen. I don't think the boards will be happy if an outbreak happens in an office that was extending the life of PPE.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That's the Gov back door way of shutting you down. I don't need or use any of that chit. Wandered thru WM yesterday. Just for S&G looked the hand sanitizer. The little bitty bottles. Sat they were 99 cents, Tues $2.39 now who's gouging?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    That's the Gov back door way of shutting you down. I don't need or use any of that chit. Wandered thru WM yesterday. Just for S&G looked the hand sanitizer. The little bitty bottles. Sat they were 99 cents, Tues $2.39 now who's gouging?

Walmarts pricing is, well confusing at best. They definitely removed all sale pricing and market adjustments and while they used to sell a crap ton of items at a loss to generate traffic and volume they aren't doing that anymore.

Kroger is beating them on basket price mostly now anyways. They always killed them on quality and experience and have consistently had a lot better supply chain the last couple months.

As far as sanatizer, I bought 2 huge bottles in march and still only used half of one. We all have key chain bottles we refill from the big one which sits at the front door.

Anyone coming in the house is required to use a sanatizer wipe on their phones and ear buds and sanatize their hands. Works for us and t hff ey all work retail so they see thousands of people a day between them. I still sanatize cars and door knobs and light switches every day.

No one has gotten anything but dry hands. YMMV.

Top Bottom