• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    And on top of all that I will admit without shame that it’s a hell of a lot of fun. Especially with a few good trash talkin friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven’t gotten the chance but a few buddies still in the Corps go west sometimes. If my work schedule allowed I’d love to join them. Nothing better than Marines talking trash and pulling triggers.
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    How many rounds did you burn through?

Took 80 rounds, and brought home about 30.

The wind up there really blows hard, so at first I had to get used to the wind issue at 200+ yds. Once I got that handled it was on.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Seems like we got enough interest to maybe organize a hunt with a group of us.
    I checked a few guide places on line looks like most charge around $250 per person, for one day & $450 for a 2 day hunt. You have to pay for hotel.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    That’s a big bill to shoot at burrowing rats.

My neighbor has been doing prairie dog hunts out of state for a few years.
    We were talking about it a few months back & he was saying his Night Force Scope on his custom rifle was about $2k, but did say he head shot a prairie dog @ 970ish yards with it.

I guess depends on how much "play $$" you have.
    I could never spend that much on an optic mo matter if i hit the lottery or not.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Considering the records for benchrest shooting at 1k yds I would say there was a luck factor involved. My precision rifle is feeling cheated, it only has a $1,000 scope.

Try a Schmidt & Bender for $6-8k if you are spendy.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Historically here's one important and practical reason why: Prairie dog holes, especially at night, caused major "grief" to the practice of tending to and driving cattle from one place to another by horseback, especially to the cowboy's most important tool, the horse he rode on.

A broken leg on your only means of transportation when tending, and/or driving cattle could be the matter of life or death, not only to the horse, but to the rider who went down with the horse when its leg went into a prairie dog hole.

That's why old time rancher's in cattle country would open their gates to anyone who wanted to hunt prairie dogs.

Yep, times have changed ... but it's always something that was done in cattle country. A reason that is still valid in some parts of Texas.

YMMV ...
    Having grown up depending on the livestock for clothes on our backs, food on the table, and a rare shopping trip to town, I'll tell you why these, and other vermin have become targets.

P-dogs aren't malicious. They're a nuisance and very costly to a rancher just the same. Uncontrolled, they'll strip hundreds of acres of vegetation. And, they carry diseases.

When a predator (coyote, bobcat....) goes on a hunt, they know where the dog town is. The coyotes will do their best to crowd and herd the chosen victim to that area. One wrong step and the pack eats well, the rancher loses revenue.

Many a good cow horse has been put down due to a broken leg from a cave in from a prairie dog tunnel collapse.

The tunnels become snake dens and rattlesnakes take over too.
    Loose a few cows, a good horse, your dog to the snake bites.

I'll shoot prairie dogs. No need for eating them. No need for even picking the things up. Buzzards need something to do.

Yeah, they'll drag the dead back in the hole. Cannibals they are.
    ^these two posts are likely among the most clean/concise descriptions I've seen on this topic, having only left out the potential for human injury & property damage in more populated areas as well.

I recall a few years back there was a downright hilarious situation up here related to some folks from the left coast moving in to houses built immediately adjacent to huge fields/dog-towns, and then going into total river-of-tears meltdown after someone starting blowing them up with a Rodenator!

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Considering the records for benchrest shooting at 1k yds I would say there was a luck factor involved. My precision rifle is feeling cheated, it only has a $1,000 scope.

Try a Schmidt & Bender for $6-8k if you are spendy.

Yep. I used to think 2K was a high end scope until I started getting more serious about long range. 2K isn’t that much once you start really trying to get out there.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Seems like we got enough interest to maybe organize a hunt with a group of us.
    I checked a few guide places on line looks like most charge around $250 per person, for one day & $450 for a 2 day hunt. You have to pay for hotel.

We don't need a guide. We just go to Wyoming and get on BLM land. Free. And there is a ton of it. Getting there / staying there is the only cost.

No license required. The little turds are all over the place.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    We don't need a guide. We just go to Wyoming and get on BLM land. Free. And there is a ton of it. Getting there / staying there is the only cost.

No license required. The little turds are all over the place.
    Sounds like a trip that could be easily done on a budget if you can camp on BLM land.
    16.5hrs from my place to Cheyenne,Wy.
    Leave out Thusday at 3am & get there by 7-8pm.
    I'd camp out for a few days, eat sandwiches & hot dogs & shoot prairie dogs to mid day Sunday. Then head back home, stop at a hotel in Denver on the way back for a shower, decent bed & meal. Be at work on Tuesday... it's only 3 days off work.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom