• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SerenityNetworks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Hi,

My name is Andrew, age 61, and I live in Allen, just north of Dallas. After decades away from hunting and camping I got back into it a few years ago. I'd met an older fellow that was an avid PD hunter. I picked up a CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger. But the gentleman turned ill and all I've done with the CZ is shoot paper and coyotes. I'd love to get out on a PD hunt, but I know no one else here who hunts, where to go, or how to go about it. I'm a decent shot. I can shoot MOA and sometimes better. I'm healthy, fit, and get along easily with others. I don't think I'd ruin a hunt for anyone.

If any of you have any input on how to join or create a PD hunt, or would ever care to include me in an outing, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I was waiting for you to chime in. I spent a few minutes searching for your thread and got distracted.

SerenityNetworks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Yes, I saw vmax's post, which is what prompted this thread. Vmax has sent me some info' that will help me get started finding places to go. Of course, if anyone wants a tag-along then just let me know. (Same for coyote or hog hunting.)

Thanks again,
    Andrew

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Generally the best time to varmint hunt is in the early spring
    There are local varmint hunts around here that are put on by places like volunteer fire departments as fundraising events
    You might check into that also

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Btw the first time you hit a PD with that 204 you will be hooked on it
    That round is awesome

SerenityNetworks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Thanks. Next spring I'll do some Googling for varmint hunts and look for some PD hunts with these organizations. I've seen them for coyote, but they usually involved large entry fees and already having land to hunt. Both put me out of the game.

And yes, I love the .204. If I consider a 3" hit area as defining point-blank then it's just point-and-shoot from 0 to about 275 yards. Wow! And I love my CZ Varmint. I call it the "queen of my harem". It will shoot 32 to 45 grain bullets with almost equal accuracy. With the set trigger I shoot at least MOA out to around 300 yards. Somewhere between 300 and 400 yards my inexperience with doping the wind really shows up - big time. But I love the cartridge and the rifle. I really want to get on some PDs. With coyotes you just don't get to pull the trigger enough :-)

Top Bottom