• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&K Every Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I have an antique German military rifle which I believe could be a Gewehr 71 / Infanterie-Gewehr 71. The receiver is stamped indicating it was made in Berlin. There are carvings in the stock that appear to be the name / division of a soldier. This, along with it's heavy wear, lead me to believe it could have been used in combat and there might be some interesting history behind it.

I've had it a while, have taken it to a gunsmith to have it checked and have put about 50 rounds through it. I've grown to like it over the years so wanted to find our more information on it and it's approximate value.

If anyone out there has knowledge or interest in discussing these antiques give me a shout. I'll post some images soon.
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    To my knowledge the Germans didn't make any later model guns in 11mm, so the 71' should be easy to spot. It'd be a straight bolt with a wing safety.

I don't know about it being used in combat, the Germans didn't enter a war until long after the proliferation of the Model 98.

H&K Every Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I don't see a metal shroud around the barrel but the straight bolt and wing safety are there.

On the action "DEUTSCH WAFFEN - UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN." is written along with the number "9408". The number is also stamped into the straight bolt. On the stock someone has carved "F. vd. Berg." very neatly.

Thanks for the info, any more would be great.

Does it have a sheet metal shroud around the barrel?

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Should be 11x60R Mauser. Is your rifle a single shot (G71), or a tube magazine repeater (G71/84). I play with a lot of old miliatry rifles from close to that period, but I don't have a Mauser. Gunboards has a large body of knowledgable people on that subject, you might check them out.
    The Military Mauser Forum

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't see a metal shroud around the barrel but the straight bolt and wing safety are there.

On the action "DEUTSCH WAFFEN - UND MUNITIONSFABRIKEN BERLIN." is written along with the number "9408". The number is also stamped into the straight bolt. On the stock someone has carved "F. vd. Berg." very neatly.

Thanks for the info, any more would be great.

F. vd. Berg ... F. van der Berg

H&K Every Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Cool, thanks. It's a single shot bolt action with an internal mag that holds about 4 or so shells. If you had to guess, what would you estimate for it's value?

Thanks for the lead on the Mauser forum.

Should be 11x60R Mauser. Is your rifle a single shot (G71), or a tube magazine repeater (G71/84). I play with a lot of old miliatry rifles from close to that period, but I don't have a Mauser. Gunboards has a large body of knowledgable people on that subject, you might check them out.
    The Military Mauser Forum

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cool, thanks. It's a single shot bolt action with an internal mag that holds about 4 or so shells. If you had to guess, what would you estimate for it's value?

Thanks for the lead on the Mauser forum.

Internal magazine = repeater. A single shot has no magazine, you have to load every round individually.

If it's 8mm, I'm starting to think more along the lines of the G88 again... The barrel shroud looks like part of the barrel, as though the barrel has a very large outside diameter and is stepped down drastically just before the muzzle.

Hey, wait... You got a picture yet? :p

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    If it is 8mm, it is a G-88. Values vary all over the place. Common G88/05s or G88/14s, although neat rifles, don't command that much. Most were altered throatwise for 8x57S ammo, using the larger diameter "S" (spitzer) bullet, which is .323 in diameter. G88s were originally in 8x57J, using a RN bullet at .318 diameter.
    The 88 isn't a Mauser although they are commonly called that. It is actually a Mannlicher design, and used Mannlicher's en bloc clip for loading. The 88/05 and 88/14 were modified to allow the use of Mauser chargers or stripper clips.
    Look at the top of the barrel shank just forward of the action, if it was reworked to take 8x57S, there will (usually) be a large script "S" stamped there.

Top Bottom