• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Hey all,

got a sample pack of 45 230 grain round nose coming (although I havent gotten a shipping number, dont know if they send those)

Anything I need to be aware of? Usually run 5.6grains WSF

I am going to buy a chronograph and run a test between Hornady, Precision delta, and winchester bullets.
    Lynx Defense

HKGunNut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Hello. New Here, not new to Precision Delta. I've been using them for at least 5 years, mostly 9mm and 45's. Probably loaded and shot 50k of them. My only warning is your USPS carrier might not be so happy with you. :)

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    welcome welcome...

thanks for the advice. My HK will hopefully enjoy the precision delta

Interesting enough while looking for load data, according to hogdgon site the starting load is 5.7 which is about where I am. The max load is 6.4, and I went to 6.0 once and the round was hot so I backed down. I can not image what it would be like at 6.4.

Although I might switch to Clays powder. Not sure if there is an advantage to less powder (3.7 vs 5.7) other then more rounds per pound

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm about 800 bullets through my last order with them and I have no issues. I'm loading 124 grain FMJs in my 9mm behind 4.0 grains of Titegroup.

.45 ACP can be loaded pretty warm with certain powders. I've ran some ammo through my Kimber back in the day that was going sonic with 200 grain bullets ... which is pretty spicy stuff.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    according to hogdgon site the starting load is 5.7 which is about where I am.

6gr of WSF would land you around 792FPS out of a G21, which is a pretty nicely balanced round. You can just hit 850FPS just underneath the maximum charge but according to my notes it is a bit hard in the hand, flips the muzzle too much for practice, but SD is very good whereas my notes on 6.0 show a gread SD and recoil is still inline with a 45ACP but easy to control and shoot. Below 6.0, the round was too much like a 40S&W and the statistics started to degrade in my tests.

There is no reason to switch to Clays in my opinion unless you want more rounds per pound, but even then there are other powders that provide better performance and feel in my opinion than Clays for a similar price per round. Since you probably aren't loading 100k a year, choose what powder gives you the feel you like the most. If you want to go down, Bullseye, HP-38 (W231), and Titegroup have SD's under 12FPS even at their lowest charges but the feel is going to be like a 40S&W with a bit more bump.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    WSF is a good powder for .45's. You might try WST at around 4.5 gr; soft shooter and works great with Precision Delta.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I will look into WST.

I emailed precision delta about weather it was safe to load to FMJ level or load to lead level and received a no comment from them :(

Looking forward to having it arrive...although I wish they would send out a shipping notice

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    PD is FMJ if you ordered that. They do make lead bulelts in .45 as well. Plated (Berry's, Ranier) use lead loading data. You are GTG with PD.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    Must be nice to be able to afford jacketed .45 bullets.
    in 9mm/.38, I find the cost for PD, MG, and Zero jacketed to be so close to cast that all I shoot currently are jacketed. However, for .40 and .45, I will be staying with cast.
    It's hard to beat a 200gn H&G68 L-SWC in .45, unless you can afford Nosler 185gh JHPs.
    To me, FMJ-RN just doesn't have the gilt-edge accuracy of a JHP or even a good FMJ-FN, so it has been decades since I fired any.
    I will predict that the bullets will be as accurate as either of the Hdy and Win bullets, for a lot less money.
    However, one single load will not determine anything, unless you are locked into a specific load for some reason. Even with one load, you really need at least seven 5-shot groups for each load to get an idea of accuracy.
    You might want to check out Montana Gold. Buying MG by the case is often a bit less than PD for the same quantity, and I think MG is just slightly better.
    Have fun and let us know what you find.

Top Bottom