• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts in the help me choose thread.

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/help-me-choose-my-next-upgrade.89873/

Y’all decided that I would be getting a new platform to help me achieve my goal of being a more precise shooter. In the original thread, there were many suggestions and good thoughts brought forward, and those thoughts allowed me to more deeply evaluate what is I’m trying to achieve and what can help me with that.

Y’all suggested everything from mass-produced Savage MkIIs to Olympic caliber Anschutz Biathlons in everything from 22LR to 17WSM. That’s a pretty broad spectrum; I’ve been mining Rimfire Central to add to my knowledge base as well.

This thread is all about the next platform. I’ll set the good idea fairy cutoff date as Feb 15; that gives us three weeks to work through this thought process. The following week, I will be buying or ordering the platform.

Before everyone starts spending my money, the first thing we need to cover is budget. Right now, I can afford $1,000 all-in, except ammunition. That’s gun, accessories, optics, etc. Accept it, it is what it is.

For that price, I’m not tied to buying brand new. I’d rather buy a separate action, barrel, stock, etc., than buy an all-in-one box and piece out all the unused parts.

Other than that, the world is my oyster. So let’s hear your thoughts. If you’re going to recommend a specific gun, I’d like to know if you own one or have owned one. Even better if you can post a pic of a 50yd target you shot with it.

Fights on.
    Target Sports

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Nope, I don't have the Ruger, yet.
    For .22lr, I'd go fixed power and not worry about ffp.
    The SS has really nice turrets for twisters.

What scares me about the Ruger is it’s the same bolt as the American, and the QC has been on the customer end.

But I keep circling back to it as most value for the money.

I’m eligible for CZs pro discount and can get a 457 heavy barrel with the Boyd’s At-One stock for not much more than the Ruger. But that stock is a heavy b*tch.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I’m eligible for CZs pro discount and can get a 457 heavy barrel with the Boyd’s At-One stock for not much more than the Ruger. But that stock is a heavy b*tch.

Not like you'll be walking around shooting rabbits with it, it's just gonna be laying on a table.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What scares me about the Ruger is it’s the same bolt as the American, and the QC has been on the customer end.

But I keep circling back to it as most value for the money.

I can't think of a Ruger QC issue that they've shied away from.
    One way or another, bolt, semi auto rifle or semi auto pistol, or revolver. Ruger does rimfire best.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Why in the world would you even consider a Ruger when you can get a discounted CZ?

Because the world is my oyster. The closest thing CZ has to an adjustable stock right now is the AT-ONE. That stock alone is 7+ lbs. and it’s pretty clunky. Gotta drill the wood for a rail or other attachment point for a bipod.

Can you source me a chassis for a 457 or even a 455 that is <$650?

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-cz-455-chassis/

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    My suggestion would be to go with:

1. RPR
    2. Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24x50 EBR-2C MRAD

Easily had within your stated budget, and not sure you could do better without spending considerably more...

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US

One other thing - while they may be similiar, it's not actually the exact same bolt between the RAR and RPR.

The top bolt in the pic below is from a RPR, the bottom one is from a RAR (obviously I own both, and both have performed fantastically right out of the box):

1a2c85b96acf46aff47f764c69c150fc.jpg

Attachments

• 1a2c85b96acf46aff47f764c69c150fc.jpg
      1a2c85b96acf46aff47f764c69c150fc.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 552

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Because the world is my oyster. The closest thing CZ has to an adjustable stock right now is the AT-ONE. That stock alone is 7+ lbs. and it’s pretty clunky. Gotta drill the wood for a rail or other attachment point for a bipod.

Can you source me a chassis for a 457 or even a 455 that is <$650?

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-ba-cz-455-chassis/

Ok, you do, I’ll be quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    One other thing - while they may be similiar, it's not actually the exact same bolt between the RAR and RPR.

The top bolt in the pic below is from a RPR, the bottom one is from a RAR (obviously I own both, and both have performed fantastically right out of the box):

View attachment 161009

Good to hear, as I haven’t been able to find an RAR locally to compare. There’s been some discussions on RGC as to shares components. May be dated.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Good to hear, as I haven’t been able to find an RAR locally to compare. There’s been some discussions on RGC as to shares components. May be dated.

IMO, while they're both nice shooters, there's really no comparison between the two -
    over all, the RPR wins hands-down.

Also, the RPR is far more modular - for example, the RAR barrel is fixed to the receiver and cannot be swapped (pretty sure not an issue with the RPR, should the need/desire arise). Nice bonus is mag interchangeability between RPR, RAR, and 10/22...

Attachments

• 0db58508202c87973882da42033fc7a3.jpg
      0db58508202c87973882da42033fc7a3.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 222
    Last edited by a moderator:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members