• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What's your preferred recoil spring rate on your 1911? I currently have the 16# factory spring, but I've been thinking of going to an 18# as I've had issues with FTF.
    Texas SOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Near Rio Vista, Texas
    I use a 16 pound spring in my full size Colts, and the 18 pound springs in my Commanders. Since I shoot quite a bit, I always have new spares (Wolff springs) in case it's time for a change.

Sorry to hear about your FTF difficulties, Alan.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I use Wolff 16# recoil springs in all of my Wilson 5" 1911's with no problems. Two guns now have 2500 rounds each and the others about half that many. All guns are running great. My range bag always contains at least one spare 16# Wolff spring. The last time I asked, Wilson was also using 16# Wolff recoil springs in their new 5" 1911's.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've got a 16 in mine now, but I'm switching to an 18 or 18.5 since my recoil buffer's taking a heck of a beating. Got one on order from Brownells.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    16# seems to be what most use generally for a stock .45 running factory ammo. Alan, the throating you are having done on your Kimber barrel, assuming everything gets done right, should help. From what I have learned, that little gap between the barrel throat and separate lower feed ramp is one of the major issues in FTF's with 1911's. It's possible something in this area was a bit rough out of the box. Watch that Wilson 1911 building video again as it has an excellent section on this. If you don't have it, I have a copy.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    What's your preferred recoil spring rate on your 1911? I currently have the 16# factory spring, but I've been thinking of going to an 18# as I've had issues with FTF.

Failure to feed issues are an over sprung pistol and/or a weak magazine spring.

Over sprung pistol causes FTF when slide goes to battery quicker than the round gets presented.
    And of course the weak mag spring does not present round quickly enough, esp. on the last round....

Other issues, extractor set too tight, rough breech face..

16# spring for 5" barrels and a good strong mag spring...

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    I put a wolff #18 in my full size and love it. To me it makes the recoil more crisp instead of a lazy roll if that makes sense.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom