• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    I'm still researching my options for putting together an AR15. A 16" carbine is the goal. I'd just like to get my head checked for what I'm planning thus far.

What I've decided on, for now, is rather simple. However, I'm torn between two manufacturers, Stag and CMMG. Unless someone can come up with a compelling reason against it, I would like something specifically chambered for 5.56, and not .223. No Wylde chambers either.

I'm leaning towards Stag for the lower due to cost, but I'm thinking about CMMG for the upper. I want a 1 in 7 twist rate, and CMMG uppers have that option at a decent (to me) price.

So, the plan is:

Snag a complete lower in the next month. Grab an upper, minus BCG about a month after that. Regardless of which manufacturer I choose, I want to use the Larue Enhanced bolt and carrier.

While I want instant gratification, I know that you have to pay for quality. I don't have tons of income I can dump into this project, but I don't want a total budget bin carbine when I am done.

Any opinions, options I'm not seeing, or flames?
    Texas SOT

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sounds good. Are you going open sights or optics? I would personally recommend getting an upper without a front sight post. In the future it's much easier to put optics on with a flattop upper and no front sight. You can get a gas block with a piccatany rail and get sights for it if you want an option for both. That barrel twist is designed for heavier bullets, so I assume you are probably going for accuracy. If you were doing that I would get a .223 chamber if pure accuracy is your goal. Just remember that a 1 in 7" will not stabilize 55 grain bullets as well as say a 1 in 9". If you wanted to run stuff in military grain weight (cheapest ammunition), I would recommend a 1 in 9".

I would personally get a 1 in 9" barrel with a 5.56 chamber unless you are going for heavy-weight .223 rounds.

Warhawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Azle
    Why not contact Robbie at Roseco and get a High Standard lower (Marked Houston, TX). They are about as cheap as any of them.

The 5.56 chamber is fine, but I prefer a 1:9 twist barrel as I shoot mostly 55 and 62 grain ammo. The faster twist works better with heavier bullets, but I can barely afford 55 gr ammo, so 77 grain stuff is too expensive for me.

My ARs have a variety of parts, from DPMS, MOdel 1 sales, RRA, and Armalite. My personal preference is Armalite, mainly because for me they make the most consistently accurate uppers. For lower parts kits I've used DPMS and Armalite, both are fine. For lowers I have Armalite, RRA, and LAR Grizzly. No complaints about any of them. In fact the only "problem" I've ever had was a match upper that didn't like the 5.56 ammo I was feeding it. I had a lot of extraction issues, I think the brass was sticking in the chamber. After I switched to shooting .223 ammo exclusively it never gave me any more trouble.

I've built several ARs and you can do it using only common hand tools. The one thing I did buy that made life easier was a set of punches. Also, use the duct tape liberally to protect the finish on the lower when you are assembling it.

I recommend sending the trigger group to Bill Springfield for one of his $35 trigger tune ups.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Best place for a plain old 20 inch A2 upper? I have a RRA lower with an A2 stock acquired through a trade. I'm looking for a standard 20 inch A2 upper. I'm not going to be riding in a vehicle or clearing buildings so I really don't need a 16 incher. If it's out past 500 yards that is what the Garand is for?;)

An A3 with a carry handle would work if the price is right. Any suggestions?

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Sounds good. Are you going open sights or optics? I would personally recommend getting an upper without a front sight post. In the future it's much easier to put optics on with a flattop upper and no front sight. You can get a gas block with a piccatany rail and get sights for it if you want an option for both. That barrel twist is designed for heavier bullets, so I assume you are probably going for accuracy. If you were doing that I would get a .223 chamber if pure accuracy is your goal. Just remember that a 1 in 7" will not stabilize 55 grain bullets as well as say a 1 in 9". If you wanted to run stuff in military grain weight (cheapest ammunition), I would recommend a 1 in 9".

I would personally get a 1 in 9" barrel with a 5.56 chamber unless you are going for heavy-weight .223 rounds.

Que?

The faster twist will stabilize the standard 55-62 grain bullets just fine. Slower twist rates will not stabilize heavier bullets.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Que?

The faster twist will stabilize the standard 55-62 grain bullets just fine. Slower twist rates will not stabilize heavier bullets.

It's debatable. I've seen a good bit of people with poor luck getting the 55 grain bullets to shoot very well (at distance) out of their ARs with 1 in 7" barrels. Then again, I don't know what barrels they are running, so that is also a factor. The 1 in 7" would work no doubt, but at longer distances a 55 grain bullet wouldn't be as accurate as it would if fired from a 1 in 9". Then again, a 16" barreled AR with 55 grain military surplus isn't exactly a "tack-driver" by nature.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Of course, my whole last post is thrown out if you are reloading, you could get a rifle to shoot how you want it to if you are reloading.

Porter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2008
    Houston
    At this point in time, anyway, I won't be doing any reloading. Although, it it something I want to look into after I move out of my apartment. Unless they make an ultra-quiet tumbler, I don't think that necessary piece of equipment would endear me to my downstairs neighbor.

I will do a little more research on twist rates. You guys have opened my eyes to my ignorance on the subject, and I would like some more data to base my decision on.

As for the recommendation to contact Robbie, I must admit I have no idea who he is, or how to contact him. My Google-Fu doesn't seem to be working at the moment, either.

It seems that I heard some negatives about High Standard receivers on a certain forum dedicated to AR15's, but I don't put much weight behind the majority of things I read there anyway. I will probably stay away from them for now, but thanks for reminding me to look into them more.

After the comments here, and an article I read from a gentleman who completed a combat course with a Stag AR, I think I will be going 100% Stag for my first "build".

You guys have been very helpful, and the ability to have a discussion sans flames is awesome!

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    At this point in time, anyway, I won't be doing any reloading. Although, it it something I want to look into after I move out of my apartment. Unless they make an ultra-quiet tumbler, I don't think that necessary piece of equipment would endear me to my downstairs neighbor.

I will do a little more research on twist rates. You guys have opened my eyes to my ignorance on the subject, and I would like some more data to base my decision on.

As for the recommendation to contact Robbie, I must admit I have no idea who he is, or how to contact him. My Google-Fu doesn't seem to be working at the moment, either.

It seems that I heard some negatives about High Standard receivers on a certain forum dedicated to AR15's, but I don't put much weight behind the majority of things I read there anyway. I will probably stay away from them for now, but thanks for reminding me to look into them more.

After the comments here, and an article I read from a gentleman who completed a combat course with a Stag AR, I think I will be going 100% Stag for my first "build".

You guys have been very helpful, and the ability to have a discussion sans flames is awesome!

I have built a Stag lower A2 buttstock, and went to the gun show with it to look around and the dealer who sold me the lower and parts also wanted me to buy his railed upper I think it had a daniel defense rails for 20in. any way when I tried to mate it, it would not fit properly, to his dissapointment. Too tight to go. Pivots or take down would not go/lineup.
    Now I have an Eagle Arms lower A2 built now ready to go. OH yeah, I sold the Stag that day! That was my only experience with a Stag. Will not go back.

There are plenty of lower recievers/options to choose from. Some others could make a differnce.:)

a44mag4dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1-7" Rate twist

I own a Colt Target Match AR15 with a 1-7" twist. With the 55gr bullets I was getting "good" groups at 200 yards. I switched to the heaver 77gr bullets and was getting close to 1" groupings :D at 200 yards. So I think it all depends what kind of accuracy your looking for and the purpose of the rifle. I wasn't disappointed the the 55gr accuracy until I stepped up the 77gr, both were factory loads. I do see reloading in my future.

Top Bottom