texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Howdy all....

We were considering adding a prepper section to the forum. Not looking to go over the top with it. Maybe a weapons preppers section, maybe 1 to 2 other threads as well. I know some take it to different levels, we want this to be a place where people can post what they do, pictures, ideas and such. Just at thought here..... We are not set on adding it, just wanted everyone's feedback.

Thoughts?
    Hate it? Love it?

Chime in....:D
    DK Firearms

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    It couldn't hurt to have a section for it - There are many ways to be 'prepared.'

Possibly start off with a thread on Disaster readiness? (Hurricane - Have a week of water and food stored in advance, sort of thing.)

As with anything, there are what some would consider 'extremes'.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sounds interesting provided you can find a moderator(s) with enough patience to keep things from turning to name calling or getting too ridiculous.

I question the wisdom of someone that would dig a hole in their back yard with the intention of living in it.

Keep an open mind. I have a hole dug in my backyard that has a concrete storm shelter there. Got it almost 20 years ago after a close call with a tornado. I've used it several times over the years living out in the country. Used it last year with my daughter, her husband, and my granddaughter when an F3 was on the ground nearby and headed our way.

I don't consider myself some crazed prepper for having this hole in my backyard.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree that it sounds interesting. I have actually been looking around at survival/preparedness/prepper forums to see what is out there. Be nice to have a place on TGT for this information/discussion.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    What can it hurt? Like a lot of other stuff that is talked about on this and other forums.....if you don't like the topic just don't read.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, this site is 90% BS and 10% gun related.

That said, there have been threads on preparedness on the OT section and it seems to work fine that way. Don't see a need for another section for that topic.

inceptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Denton County, Republic of Texas
    Me, I don't care either way. That being said, I am on a prepper board.

You have good and bad everywhere. Doomsday Preppers are morons. These people are recruited to be ridiculous. That's what drives ratings. The people on the other board are from all walks of life and are decent people.

People prep for a variety of reasons. Yes some prep for EMP (Iran did say this was one of their options to the UN), invasion by foreign forces, a govt takeover and other SHTF scenario's.

Many prep for natural disasters. Katrina should have taught you something. The eastern seaboard is still trying to recover from Sandy and that happened a year ago. It took over 2 weeks before many areas got help. Even the federal govt says you should have 2 weeks of supplies. In Texas we can have tornado's, hurricanes, ice storms and flooding. If something like this happens are you planning on the govt to help you? In New Jersey it was Southern Baptist's, Red Cross and other private organization that began helping those in need before the govt did.

Personally, I would rather rely mostly on me. I am affiliated with several volunteer organizations that are part of DHS and yes, we get taken care of 1st. I am a ham radio operator. I don't need go to them I can do what I do from home. Or even mobile. I would rather rely on me for taking care of my family and will volunteer and help others as I can. I may not think of everything but I won't be in too bad of shape. I will be ok without the help of DHS.

For those who think I'm whacko:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't think existing sites is really much if a factor. There are a ton of automotive forums yet we have an automotive section.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The idea has interesting potential. This site is way more social than most gun boards; we actually get out and see each other occasionally. For that reason, I think a prepper section is probably a better fit here than most gun boards.

It's certainly not necessary but it would be interesting.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    We don't need to go doomsday prepper crazy, but im sure a few topics would be nice to read as we could share tips and tricks for small things. Like cotton balls caked is vasoline are great for setting fire to if you don't have anything dried grass or wood.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...cotton balls caked is vasoline are great for setting fire to...
    Oooooh, good one! I remember when my dad taught me about "lighter knots" and saving coconut shells, both good things to understand when building fires.

Yeah, there are surely some good nuggets that would be nice to read in a prepper section.

Top Bottom