• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cazador1022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    border war zone EL PASO TX
    Have any of you guys seen the commercials? I wonder how many people here in ELP would be considered "PREPPERS".

Where do you draw the line? I mean, like to be prepared...spare tire in the trunk ect... Gun in my holsters ect... but having my entire life revolve around the end of our society seems like a long shot bet. I might be wrong. But just in case i have some tin foil I can make into a hat....LOL
    Target Sports

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Prepping as it is now called is really self-reliance a 100 years ago. Most modern day "preppers" aren't doing it because of some doomsday event. They're doing it to be as self-reliant as possible.

A great example is if someone losses their job. You can either hold yer hand out to the gubbermint for aide, go into credit card debt, or be prepared enough to avoid debt and government welfare and care for your family while you find something else.

T.V. will always gravitate to the sensational so I'm sure the new Nat Geo series will depict the extreme end of prepping.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Prepping as it is now called is really self-reliance a 100 years ago. Most modern day "preppers" aren't doing it because of some doomsday event. They're doing it to be as self-reliant as possible.

A great example is if someone losses their job. You can either hold yer hand out to the gubbermint for aide, go into credit card debt, or be prepared enough to avoid debt and government welfare and care for your family while you find something else.

T.V. will always gravitate to the sensational so I'm sure the new Nat Geo series will depict the extreme end of prepping.
    +1 They want preppers to look like boobs, but they are people acting responsibly in the event of some unforseen hardship.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    +1 They want preppers to look like boobs, but they are people acting responsibly in the event of some unforseen hardship.
    And if S does HTF these same sheep will be bitching that the "preppers" have to "spread around" the resources they saved because "everyone is equal".

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It was just normal not too long ago. It still is if you live in the country. It's the urbanites on the coasts that make it seem like its something weird.

The people on TV will, I'm sure, be some weirdos. Intelligent people planting gardens, raising livestock, living debt free, hunting and planning for the future are just boring. We never called them "Preppers" we just called them "farmers."

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Im ready. Not for the end of the world. But I am prepared for unemployment or a natural disaster. We have all the food, water, guns, ammo, medical, and personal hygene products to last for a year. Don't really consider myself as a prepper, but the boy scouts and military taught me to always be prepared.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    They laughed at Noah till the water got over their heads.

Im ready. Not for the end of the world. But I am prepared for unemployment or a natural disaster. We have all the food, water, guns, ammo, medical, and personal hygene products to last for a year. Don't really consider myself as a prepper, but the boy scouts and military taught me to always be prepared.

I never thought about the Boy Scouts. With all their training, preparedness and lifestyle they must be terrorists-in-waiting.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not worried Walmart has everything from toothpaste to ammo.

Walmart operates on a JIT (Just In Time) logistics schedule. The POS system updates thier inventory system in batches about every 30 seconds on a network connecting all thier stores. Walmart depends on a extremely lean inventory to avoid product sitting around, depreciating in value.

If S did HTF, The shelves would be empty in about 3 days (if even that) due to people storming the stores and grabbing everything they can get thier hands on.

I might joke about buying all the ammo at Walmart, but Before I can even get out the door, thier autoreplenishment system is already telling a picker in thier DC to put some more .233 AE ammo on the truck to replenish what I paid for.

If a economic collapse happened, the first thing you could probably expect is hyper-inflation, which means something could double in value every 4 hours as the dollar weakens, see Zimbabwe

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've seen a Walmart picked clean, everything non-perishable and anything that could be used camping, they then just used compacted box bundles to block the doors and shut down till after the hurricane.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I watched my first episode last night. Was pretty interesting. Only thing that really made the people look weird was really the guy who was doing it because world would end this year due to some cosmic event (forget what the heck he was calling it). If the people they had on just said, I'm doing this cause you just never know, it would have looked less-tin-foilish to the masses.

Overall though pretty neat. The guy doing the hydroponic thing in an old in-ground swimming pool in his backyard was pretty awesome.
    The one lady lived in suburbia and all her plans centered on staying in the house, vice having to leave. I thought it was interesting that the show had an expert who would evaluate their scenarios and provide feedback.

Top Bottom