• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    And expect my truck to still be there after 2 weeks of a disaster.

Even if her truck was still there she would have to walk to Mexico, her scenario was that there was no more gas or oil. Which is a stretch looking at where she is at, Houston and Harris county, there will be gas and oil even if "the a-rabs cut the US off".
    Hurley's Gold

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Only thing that really made the people look weird was really the guy who was doing it because world would end this year due to some cosmic event (forget what the heck he was calling it).
    Coronal mass ejection. Not that far fetched... It's happened before.

Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases even shocking telegraph operators. Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.
    If it wreaked that much havoc on the telegraph network, just imagine what it would do to our modern power grid. Space is big, tho. The chance of a CME hitting earth is pretty low, but there's evidence that it tends to happen every 500 years or so.

I only saw the first episode. Apparently I missed out on some good crazy in the second? I don't know how practical that one guy's pool-ecosystem is, but I thought that was very cool. That's actually quite impressive if he can get a fish a day out of it and that's sustainable.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Coronal mass ejection. Not that far fetched... It's happened before.
    Ha. I figured somebody on here would have some idea what the heck it was. My only point is that this guy is doing all this because he this is going to happen in 2012.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Ha. I figured somebody on here would have some idea what the heck it was. My only point is that this guy is doing all this because he this is going to happen in 2012.
    Well, there is actually some science behind it as 2012-2013 is going to be the peak of solar activity for the entire century if I read correctly. (more solar flares, CMEs...etc.)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The chick in Houston was an idiot. Oh im just going to walk from my home in the Heights through downtown and to Mexico.

Good luck with that.

Finally watched both episodes.
    Yep, good luck walking 12 hours through Houston (a female) & getting to your Bug Out Vehicle to find the battery is dead (if it's still there).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What about the people that cooked gourmet food. Thats the kind of bug in plan I want to have.
    +1
    This 500lbs of beans and wheat stuff is ridiculous. Yes it will keep you alive, but why not prepare with stuff you'll actually enjoy eating? I've recently started canning, and I'm storing delicious stuff like chili and pot roast. Makes for an easy grab and go lunch when I don't have something fixed, too.

dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I went to the NatGeo website last night and saw that you can order the whole season of Doomsday Preppers and get it in advance. I like watching that kind of stuff so I ordered it....I don't remember, flat out don't have the extra time or the patience to wait around till next week's episode when I want to watch something, so I just ordered it. I haven't seen any of the episodes (just a bunch of the commercials....which got me interested) but I figure it's going to be a pretty good show.

While some of the people, I expect, will be wayyyy out there, there has to be some who are putting the right amount of thought into it and maybe I can learn some stuff from them.......we shall see!

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I went to the NatGeo website last night and saw that you can order the whole season of Doomsday Preppers and get it in advance. I like watching that kind of stuff so I ordered it....I don't remember, flat out don't have the extra time or the patience to wait around till next week's episode when I want to watch something, so I just ordered it. I haven't seen any of the episodes (just a bunch of the commercials....which got me interested) but I figure it's going to be a pretty good show.

While some of the people, I expect, will be wayyyy out there, there has to be some who are putting the right amount of thought into it and maybe I can learn some stuff from them.......we shall see!

Dude you are going to enjoy it. I'm hooked on this show. Sure, some of the people are way out there but some of them have some really good ideas. I know I've personally picked up a few tips which I'm using in my bug out bag. Hope you enjoy.

Rabb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    El Paso
    Sorry for the late reply but... Those shows concentrate on the extreme fringe. They give it a bad name by showing weirdos. I've been training with FEMA since 1999 and was part of the State's response during hurricanes. It's not a bad idea to be prepared. A lot of people assume the government will just step right in during an emergency and help everyone. If you believe that, you should talk to some of the people from Hurricane Katrina. Talking to some El Pasoans, I found several (SEVERAL) that believed if something dangerous happened that the Army would provide them with ammunition. They even made sure to buy weapons that fired NATO rounds. If you think the government is going to arm you especially during a crisis, I've got really bad news for you. And yes, you can ask Hurricane Katrina survivors about that one too. It is about having the right equipment to prepare for an event that effects or changes our normal lifestyle. Don't most of you get a concealed carry license because you believe that however unlikely that you may need it to defend yourself or your family? Same goes for being prepared! It's about having the right supplies for your region and the conditions you might encounter and making sure you check them and/or replace them as needed. I'm actually thinking about starting a class about preparing for most normal emergencies that affect this area but it will be nothing like that crap on TV.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I remember when I was growing up, we canned everything from the huge garden we had, I hunted for whatever was legally in season, and had a well for water. We didn't call it prepping, we called it "cutting costs".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    El Paso
    I'm actually thinking about starting a class about preparing for most normal emergencies that affect this area but it will be nothing like that crap on TV.

If you ever go through with starting up that class be sure to advertise it, as at least for me, I would be very interested.

Top Bottom