Texas SOT

Prepping 101: Time to cash in those wooden nickels.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/prepping-101-gold-silver-currency-wooden-nickels/

Yesterday I got a Snapple cap with an interesting fact on it. It said that the Mayans had no concept of money, even though they were at the time the most prosperous and powerful nation in South America. Many of you will instantly call bullshit on that, as I did, because we have all seen the ornate Mayan artifacts made out of gold. You don’t make statues, trinkets and jewelry out of gold, as opposed to lead or copper, unless it holds an uncommon value for you. The gold for those statues was traded for other things of value, or for labor at one point, and that means it was money. So since Glen Beck and all these other “smart” people are hocking gold and silver these days, I thought I’d divert to a prepping discussion about money, and about gold.....
    Texas SOT

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Bought some stock in a gold mining company a year or so ago...seems to be doing alright.

Don't think I'd buy solid gold though. I have doubts that it would be valuable when SHTF. At least not in a short term crisis... And, if you have a ton of it, you better be able to hang onto it for a while until it's worth something again. Might be difficult in a true societal meltdown.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    and if SHTF you think stocks will be worth more than solid gold ?

Bought some stock in a gold mining company a year or so ago...seems to be doing alright.

Don't think I'd buy solid gold though. I have doubts that it would be valuable when SHTF. At least not in a short term crisis... And, if you have a ton of it, you better be able to hang onto it for a while until it's worth something again. Might be difficult in a true societal meltdown.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Hard metals and gems will always retain intrinsic value.

Paper, well in most cases, you can either wrap fish or wipe your butt, that's about it.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    and if SHTF you think stocks will be worth more than solid gold ?
    Nope not at all...but right now I'd rather have my gold company stock vs gold bullion.

I'm not going to hoard gold with the hopes that one day society will collapse and I maaaaaaaybe have an off chance to come out on top with my gold investment after SHTF. I mean let's be realistic about it. How much would you need for it to be worth it? My guess is a lot...enough to start a new treasury for your militia/survival group or whatever. At least then you have some sort of round the clock security. Otherwise, it's just enough to get shot over or robbed IMO.
    Toilet paper will be worth it's weight in gold one year into SHTF. Ha ha
    Great point here. Charmin Ultra Strong!

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ok... I'm unsubscribing from gunsamerica...

Nope not at all...but right now I'd rather have my gold company stock vs gold bullion.
    Yeah, owning a piece of the production should be more profitable than owning the end result. That article was chock full of crazy, but the author did make one decent point in that gold/silver only has value because the ruling class wanted people to pay taxes with it. Currency can be anything people agree on it being.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How does one go about buying something "post shtf" with an ounce of gold, or a gold coin?
    Seems like one would need smaller denominations, or else how would "change" be provided?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    How does one go about buying something "post shtf" with an ounce of gold, or a gold coin?
    Seems like one would need smaller denominations, or else how would "change" be provided?

Single grams verses the entirety in an ounce bar. Grams will be the easiest to use and trade.

Fun fact: A $20 dollar bill weighs exactly one gram.

Last edited:

NativH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Houston
    Small denomination gold and silver may be the only viable currency in a true SHTF world. I know someone who has some gold chains for this purpose to "subdivide" the chain for small payments. But who knows the carat value of a chain and can confirm it in a SHTF world? At least 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz and 1 oz bars and coins will be known quantities. Ammo, food and water will also be physical currency but lots harder to move around than 10 coins in your pocket. I keep a few $thousand in gold and silver in the safe just in case. If the house burns down and it melts, the stuff is still worth almost the same amount as a glob as it is in bar form.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Salt used to be currency. Kinda blows my mind considering that the majority of the human population has always lived near a sea or ocean. Still it's something that people both want and need and it takes labor to get it. The labor it takes to get it is what makes it valuable.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom