• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just wanted to see who all out there preps their new brass before its first use and how they do it. I reload several cal.s but feel like I shouldn't need to prep quality brass like winchester or starline, except to chamfer case necks before loading. Also when reloading a .223(AR-15) should I FL size every time or are fired cases really a better fit that should be neck sized only ? Lemme know - Texmex
    Military Camp

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    FL sizing would depend on your chamber compared to the one it was fired in. If you have a NATO chamber then you are probably OK to just neck it and go. Check the shoulder on a few fired cases the next time you go out.

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    FL or Neck size to insure case mouths are round... even good brass can be damaged in storage/transport. Chamfer and debur ... if you clean up your primer pockets, may as well do this before first firing also.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    If you're reloading for an AR-15, no matter what chamber you have, you need to full length resize every time you reload. Neck sizing is okay in a bolt gun, but not a semi-auto. IIRC there was a thread on here earlier about someone who tried it in their AR and had nothing but problems.
    This is worth reading:
    http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm
    As you'll see, full length sizing is the way to go.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Nice link bullseye. I never thought of reloading for a service rifle to be more "advanced" than loading for pistols but boy was I wrong. It looks like I'll have to put in the work to get the results I want. Thanks for posting that one. - Texmex

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    Pistol:
    Starline - fl-size, check length and good to go.

Rifle:
    Rem/Win - full match prep. Primer pocket uniform, flash hole debur, full length size, trim, debur outside mouth, chamfer mouth, clean, weight sort. Haven't got into shaving necks yet. Wait to do that when I have a match chamber.

Nosler was good to go, as was Norma. They are packaged well, so the necks were not banged up.

Top Bottom