price gouging

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by ftw13, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ftw13

ftw13 Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    man gun dealers wonder why people don't buy from them.....even at the shows. junk draco pistols for 500 bucks,guns priced 100-200 more than they're selling for everywhere else and ammo prices STILL being sold for 10-15 more per box than competitors. i went to the high caliber show and alot of the vendors were rude on sunday cause they were still sitting on their stuff and no one was buying. i was seeing wasr rifles with price tags of 5-600. ridiculous

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You may not like the price, but it is not "gouging"

3. TexasR.N.

TexasR.N. Active Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    I had the same complaints about the Ft. Worth Gun Show that I went a month ago. I don't call it price gouging, but if that's what they want to sell some of that stuff for, then they can keep it.

Craig

4. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

Agree! Just keep shopping until you find a price that you can live with.

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    The market will level itself out. If a dealer is sitting on a dozen WASR's for $600 and he cannot sell them he will eventually figure it out and adjust the price to where it is desirable.
    I feel sorry for the folks buying things at those crazy prices. A basic AR for $1,500 or WASR for $600? Ha.
    :happy0001:

6. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Probably many dealers got use to the gravy train of new gun shoppers who knew nothing of "regular" prices and how much items "usually" were. The fervor is tapering off now and gun owners in the know (like us regulars) aren't/weren't buying hyped up items if we could help it. Those high-priced dealers are feeling the pinch now. We'll see if their pride or their business breaks first ;)

7. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Out here in the rurals I have to either drive a fair distance or shop online. I have found Larry Potterfield's MidwayUSA to have decent prices and saw no evidence of gouging when the "fit hit the shan" and the obominites took office. I did note that Cheaper than Dirt appeared to raise prices substantually. I am not arguing with Texas Investigator about gouging but it does appear many dealers took the opportunity to get whatever the market would bear. Good business practice or gouging, I leave it to the buyers to judge.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    See, those are not the only two options regarding raising prices.

If a bad winter storm came, and supplies needed for those storms were in short demand AND stores raised prices to outrageous amounts, THAT is gouging.

It is NOT gouging to set your prices high because of what appears to be market trends.

You can argue the "fairness" of it all day, but it is not gouging because you don't like the prices.

9. ftw13

ftw13 Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    what if one gas station sold gas for $4 when it was going for $2 everywhere else? wouldn't everyone call that gouging? if someone can't afford to be in the gun business they shouldn't be in it. if they can't get stuff at good prices and sell it for fair market amounts then what are they contributing? just more overpriced items?

10. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Some of those dealers may have had to pay $600.00 for that WASR when they bought it during the Obama times.

I have some lowers that I paid more for from Brownells and other places than retail is on them today.

The cost of inventory was higher a few months ago.