• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I'm slowly building an AR in 5.56. I've owned a couple of ARs in the past, but trade opportunities came up and got the better of me. The last AR I owned, I put a PA micro dot and a 6x flip to side magnifier. I felt that this configuration was too clunky for what I was after. The new rifle is going to be a 16" with a mid-length gas system. For the foreseeable future it is going to be used at the range. I don't do a lot of distance shooting... I mainly keep it to 200 yards or less. However, I tend to like a lot of magnification even at shorter ranges. My build is not top-of-the-line, but it is good quality. Total into the build is around $850 without optics.

After my previous experience with a separate red dot and magnifier, I've decided that I want to go with a 1-4 or 1-6 variable powered optic with illumination. In surveying the options, it appears that I can spend a lot of money really quickly. I've been keeping an eye on the used market (and will continue to do so), but for the money I'm considering a Primary Arms 1-4x (for $110) or a PA 1-6x (for $270, currently OOS). I would add a PA "deluxe extended" mount for $50.

Does anyone have experience with one or both of these scopes? Is the 1-6x with the fancy reticle worth the additional $160? Any reason not to go with the PA mount (with the next step up being a Burris PEPR for $75 or an ADM mount for $120)? I've had good luck with PA's mounts/rings in the past, but I also really like the Burris XTR rings so I figure for $75 the PEPR is a good choice.

Final question, for those who run a 1-4 or 1-6 scope, do you also have back-up sights? I have a set of MBUS sights I could put on the rifle, but with a 1x scope they don't seem necessary (unless I'm missing something).

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I don't bother with irons on a rifle with a 1-x (or 1.5-x) scope, but I'm just a three-gun guy.

I'm waiting on a case of those 1-6 scopes too; I messed with them at SHOT and thought they would be a nice budget build scope.

A bit more expensive and only 1-4, the Burris TAC-30 is a very nice scope for $300.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I have both of the PA scopes. The 1-4x is an amazing value, but the 1-6x is a steal. I had planned on upgrading when money allowed, but I see no point in it now. Not that I use all it's features, I really like the ACSS reticule.

As far as the mounts, I haven't had any problems with the PA mount. I do have the 1-6x in a LaRue SPR-S just because I had it laying around.

Last edited:

jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    I've been interested in this as well, but have been leaning towards the 1-4. Since it's going on a carbine I didn't really see the need for 6x. Heck I though the Acog was plenty enough magnification.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like the PA scopes are GTG. It also sounds like the extra $160 for the 1-6x would be worth it.

A bit more expensive and only 1-4, the Burris TAC-30 is a very nice scope for $300.

I can get this scope shipped to me for $270, which is what the PA 1-6x runs. After looking at both and comparing them, the 1-6x PA offers some features the burris lacks. That is part of the problem when shopping for optics... you can always add another $100 to the equation and open up nicer options. Since I was willing to go from $110 to $270, why not $375 for an MTAC, or $500 for a Vortex... It gets out of hand quickly.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Yeah, and I shoot a Z6i BRT on my...backup...rifle. Just keep adding cash until you get to the good stuff :)

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Not much difference bt the Tac 30 and MATC as far as glass. Honestly since I have PA 1-6 and MTAC and it's for plinking I'd go with the TAC 30. Better glass imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    That is an excellent choice at a very good price. The illumination switch on the MTAC is far, far easier to use than the TAC-30. Otherwise they are the same scope.

Alex

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Definitely give the primary arms 1-4 and 1-6 a try. Great optic for the money.

i am running a 1-6 on my 300 Blk.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom