Lynx Defense

Primary Arms Optics for a DMR style rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Hello everyone. I have a new to me Rock River Arms LAR-8 Elite Operator. 308 with a 16 inch barrel. She is a beautiful and fine weapon IMO. It is time for me to get an optic for this rifle. My primary use of this rifle is hog hunting and target/plink shooting out to about 3-500 yards. Sometimes a lot closer and rarely further.

This is what I have ever come up with for a first optic for this rifle. My budget is around $500 and I already have a Burris Pepr mount.
    http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...s-5-56-5-45-308-reticle-pa1-8x24sfp-acss-5-56

Does anyone have any experience with this specifically or one of the other similar PA optics? Just looking for the best bang for my buck and like the features of the ACSS reticle. Any other similar sub 500 dollar scopes I should look at? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I don't think anything will come close to that PA 1-8 for that price. The only downside to PA optics is they're pretty dang heavy. I don't like busy reticles for hog guns. Lots of your shots will be on a running hog and that ACSS reticle will just get in the way.

I love the 1-8 range though. My hog gun has a Weaver Super Slam 1-5 which is about the same money. Never felt like I needed more than 5x even out to 330yds.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is about the same money and would be my choice over the PA.

SCRATCH THAT. The PA 1-8 is lighter than the Vortex 1-6. So buy the PA! At 16oz that is almost stupid light for an 8x scope.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't think anything will come close to that PA 1-8 for that price. The only downside to PA optics is they're pretty dang heavy. I don't like busy reticles for hog guns. Lots of your shots will be on a running hog and that ACSS reticle will just get in the way.

I love the 1-8 range though. My hog gun has a Weaver Super Slam 1-5 which is about the same money. Never felt like I needed more than 5x even out to 330yds.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 is about the same money and would be my choice over the PA.

SCRATCH THAT. The PA 1-8 is lighter than the Vortex 1-6. So buy the PA! At 16oz that is almost stupid light for an 8x scope.

The weight is one of the advantages I really like because the rifle is a tad on the heavy side. I haven't even though about the busy reticle for hogs. Although sitting on a bench shooting at steel and milk jugs will probably be 95 percent of the shooting I will do. The other 5 percent off a four wheeler or out of a truck bed at hogs.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The reticle isn't the worst. You can still use it to lead your shots with that red ring thing. I just wonder how much of your FOV it will block, which is the worst thing when you're trying to track a moving target.

It's still probably your best option. Seeing the price and the weight, I think I may pick one up also lol

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    After watching this video on that reticle, I think I want to give it a go. It is new to me and I need to learn me something.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Why the 1-8x over the 1-6x? The 1-6x is $110 cheaper.

I really wish they would make them first focal plane so that the range finding and hold overs stayed the same no matter what magnification you were at.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I just wanted the little extra magnification for when it's on a bench. I think I am going to get the 1-6 though now that I think of it and down the line get a 4-16 or similar for farther stuff.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I just wanted the little extra magnification for when it's on a bench. I think I am going to get the 1-6 though now that I think of it and down the line get a 4-16 or similar for farther stuff.
    If you want higher magnification later on I recommend the 4-14x FFP that they offer. The R-Grid reticle is alot of fun for bench shooting.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you want higher magnification later on I recommend the 4-14x FFP that they offer. The R-Grid reticle is alot of fun for bench shooting.

I will definitely look into this when it is time. There's is so many options available I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    There's a new member "ccoley" that has been copy/pasting the same comment in multiple threads:

"I'm just commenting to get 25 posts for the classifieds."

Apparently YG raced him and is winning lmao

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom