• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I'll admitt, I know I've printed many times just tossing on a loose t-shirt to make a quick run to the store or something like that. But when does your printing begin to show too much? I was walking into Academy (about 1pm in Amarillo) yesterday and there was a guy coming out of the store that I knew he was carrying. I could tell he was carrying a fullsized SIG in a leather OWB holster and had on a tight t-shirt over it. I think that's where I draw the line at printing too much, when you can tell the gun and holster. I just had a t-shirt on myself with the HK P2000SK/VMII but I know I wasn't printing like that.

If you're reading this (the guy I'm writing about), you might wanna consider changing something in your carry rig. ;)
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'll admitt, I know I've printed many times just tossing on a loose t-shirt to make a quick run to the store or something like that. But when does your printing begin to show too much? I was walking into Academy (about 1pm in Amarillo) yesterday and there was a guy coming out of the store that I knew he was carrying. I could tell he was carrying a fullsized SIG in a leather OWB holster and had on a tight t-shirt over it. I think that's where I draw the line at printing too much, when you can tell the gun and holster. I just had a t-shirt on myself with the HK P2000SK/VMII but I know I wasn't printing like that.

If you're reading this (the guy I'm writing about), you might wanna consider changing something in your carry rig. ;)

The are 4 mental states of culpability in Texas; Intentionally, Knowingly, Recklessly and with Criminal Negligence.

The culpability required for failing to conceal is intentionally. The PC defones intentionally;

Texas Penal Code

Sec. 6.03. DEFINITIONS OF CULPABLE MENTAL STATES. (a) A person acts intentionally, or with intent, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Ya, I'd say that guy was over the line.

Please tell me you couldn't see the ripples in his big belly and naval? Academy has some pretty decent prices on casual wear, including shirts you can buy in a size that fits properly.

Just in case he's reading....

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It's pretty easy. If the average person can look at the 'bulge' and make out the shape of a gun, you're printing. Levels of culpability notwithstanding, when you leave the house carrying a gun and wearing particular clothes, you are responsible for your appearance. It can be argued that you didn't 'know', but not knowing what you've got on your body, not taking 10 seconds to look in the mirror, could be construed as reckless, because you failed to exercise the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise in a similar situation.

So, no tight t-shirts, and, for God's sake, no spandex!!! UGH! I lump or a bulge is ok. I gun-shaped lump is not.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It's pretty easy. If the average person can look at the 'bulge' and make out the shape of a gun, you're printing. Levels of culpability notwithstanding, when you leave the house carrying a gun and wearing particular clothes, you are responsible for your appearance. It can be argued that you didn't 'know', but not knowing what you've got on your body, not taking 10 seconds to look in the mirror, could be construed as reckless, because you failed to exercise the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise in a similar situation.

So, no tight t-shirts, and, for God's sake, no spandex!!! UGH! I lump or a bulge is ok. I gun-shaped lump is not.

Reckless is not enough. However, I agree with you that wearing a tight t shirt or spandex would fit the requirement for intentionally.

spandex ***shudder***

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    So, how can one objectively judge if the gun prints too much if the person already knows he's carrying? Placebo Effect already tells you "gun".

Or it's like skinny girl saying "I'm fat" when in reality, she's perfectly fit but she only sees her imperfections rather than her as a total sum.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Objectively, if you look at yourself and can't 'see' that you are printing during normal movement........you should be fine. If you are dead-set on wearing something that prints, then you can always change your weapon or holster.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    It's pretty simple... if you see a lump, you're fine. If you see the outline of a gun, you're not.

kashton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    You should dress so that no one can tell that you are carrying unless they are trained to look for and find it. That is my opinion at least.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    My cell phone prints more than any gun I could ever imagine carrying. If you are actually printing(not just have the feeling that you may be) in a VMII, you may want to reevaluate your belt, or the tightness of your shirt.

FWIW, you are apt to be more observant than an average person. An average person just isn't paying attention to anything.

Jeff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    My cell phone prints more than any gun I could ever imagine carrying. If you are actually printing(not just have the feeling that you may be) in a VMII, you may want to reevaluate your belt, or the tightness of your shirt.

I agree. My Blackberry with the included stock holster makes a huge imprint. My guess is that it wasn't designed with the idea for concealment in mind and is usually worn outside of a business shirt, etc.

This topic did recently cross my mind though. I've carried an IWB holster at around 1 'o clock ever since I started carrying. A few days ago I finally bought a leather OWB holster that loops thru my belt. I must say, it is VERY comfortable, much more so than the IWB holster, and is also very secure and my draw has improved. (I've finally decided on carrying at 3.) Overall, I love it. While it does "print" somewhat moreso than an IWB style, it's nothing severe. I carry a Glock 27.

I spend quite a bit of time before leaving the house making sure what I'm wearing is suitable for carry. If I have to change my shirt a few times until I get something suitable, I will. A lot of times I throw on my light work jacket which will cover up just about anything, but in Texas, we all know sometimes it's just too damn hot to have on long sleeves.

The guy in Academy either sounds like he's a slob and just doesn't care OR he's possible law enforcement who again, either doesn't care if he's spotted or doesn't care in general. JMO.

DiStUrBeD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    i know when i started carrying, i wouldn't leave the house if there was any sign of printing without changing shirts. now, as long as you can't see XD outlined in my shirt i am fine. i do raise both hands to make sure it stays concealed, so if i am reaching for something on the top shelf it doesn't say Peek A Boo with the little old lady on the aisle. I will twist turn and lean over to see how badly it prints. as long as it is a little unidentifiable bulge, i just don't care. using a stiff belt that fills the belt clip works perfectly to hold the holster where it is supposed to be...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom