• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've never bought a used firearm from another individual. But I completely understand if a particular seller wanted to see my ID. I see all these mixed comments on doing a BOS. I'm still fairly new to the world of firearms so is a BOS supposed to protect the seller from any kind liability if the firearm is used illegally?
    No. As much as they'd like to believe, it doesn't protect either party of the private transaction. Quite the contrary.
    Venture Surplus ad

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Why do people push this myth about gun sales.

As a private seller you have no legal obligation to make sure about any info on someone buying a gun from you in TX.

Your only legal obligation is to not KNOW he is not a resident under age or ineligible from owning what you are selling.

Now moral obligation is a separate thing and that is up to you to decide.

In TX..........you are solid by just making sure the buyer is a TX resident, of age, and not a known criminal to you.

You don't need a background check......no BOS....no need to photograph ID.....it is a cash transaction of property.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    facepalm.JPG

Attachments

• facepalm.JPG
      facepalm.JPG
      10.3 KB · Views: 550

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    No. As much as they'd like to believe, it doesn't protect either party of the private transaction. Quite the contrary.
    So can someone please enlighten me as to how a BOS hurts either party in a private firearm sale?

I know many of you feel the BOS is comparable to a signed contract with Satan for your soul, but I honestly don’t understand why.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Bill of sale is a subject that should be banned. Worse than war politics religion or sex with a mods wife, or husband...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Ban it now for the love of god humanity peace justice and the PC American way.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So can someone please enlighten me as to how a BOS hurts either party in a private firearm sale?

I know many of you feel the BOS is comparable to a signed contract with Satan for your soul, but I honestly don’t understand why.

It has been hashed out 10million times on the board and no one changes any ones mind just use the search engine and you will find more on the topic than anyone would care to wade though.

It boils down to a bill of sale has never helped anyone keep out of jail and a BOS has put people behind bars.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

They are not worth the paper they are printed on when it comes down to you leaning on it to prove anything. Perhaps it will satisfy a DA or LE if the gun you sold is used in a crime, perhaps not. It surely is not a get out of jail free card. Conversely, it can and has been used as evidence against people to show they were selling firearms without a license........

Now the dude may have been a douche and his circumstances are not going to apply to 99.9% of people selling a gun here and there, the fact remains that his own BOS's were used against him in his trial.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/...onths-prison-dealing-firearms-without-license

I'm unable to find a link to the indictment right now, but this is from the PDF I have of it on my PC.

The four firearms listed on the bills of sale had been received by EITAN BENJAMIN FELDMAN at L.E. Gun Sales between about 3 and 24 days of being sold.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    In summary, with what constitutes "in the business" of dealing guns being nebulous and open to interpretation, collecting paper work documenting your sales is a good way to build a case against yourself.

That and somebody has your personal information on paper in their possession. Perhaps not worth much by itself but that does bother some folks especially when combined with the fact that it's known you own guns.

I simply don't like it because it's not something that's required by law and is usually collected to "get the gun out of my name". Makes sense for a car. Doesn't make any sense for a gun.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Southpaw/SQL, thanks for that info. Appreciate your not getting condescending.

Some of y’all are seriously way too dramatic and emotional in this subject. It’s a freaking internet social media discussion board. Such wailing and gnashing of teeth...makes me think some of you believe a BOS is black, plastic, and made by Glock!

As far as the topic is a BOS, it strikes me as way odd that a BOS is an important document for a lot of reasons for a lot of transactions, but just not for guns.

A buddy who left to go overseas gave me an old 4*7 utility trailer he bought at a yard sale that he’d never registered. I decided to register it so I could use it to haul small loads of dirt, and when I rolled into DMV, they needed a BOS! I had to contact him and have him sign one so I could get tags.

Property transfers between a store and person, you get a receipt (BOS). Get into a dispute about ownership of property, what is supposed to prove ownership? A BOS.

But by some cosmic quirk, a BOS is suddenly an instrument of voodoo and black arts when it comes to guns.

I get they can be forged. I get they are way better if notarized. But the simple fact remains, if the document is beyond dispute (maybe witnessed???), why is it considered less than toilet paper used the mornings after hitting the all you can eat taco bar?

no response needed...but the dramatic ranting is kinda fun to read if you insist!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Southpaw/SQL, thanks for that info. Appreciate your not getting condescending.

You're welcome....but then you proceed to get condescending yourself. Kind of odd.

The difference for vehicles/trailers is registration. And that's not an insignificant difference.

I've never collected or filled out a bill of sale for any private purchase that wasn't a vehicle. And I've sold cell phones, lawn mowers and countless other small goods that fall more in line with a firearm than a car or real estate.

And likewise, firearms seem to have some magic voodoo around them that they need bills of sale. Shrug.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Of age here means they must be 21 or older for a handgun sale. How you confirm that is your business but if they are of any questionable age you will need to see a DL or some paperwork showing age. If you sell a gun to someone not legally able to own it, it could come back to bite your bottom.

This site will argue all day about a bill of sale. I can only tell you what I do at risk of a flamethrowing incident, I use a bill of sale. Darn, that was a hot flamethrower. I don't care what others say of the value. I don't buy or sell without one. That's me, you do whatever you like. You don't legally need a bill of sale in Texas. Nuff said.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    These days, I ask for a TX ID card. If I see a TX concealed carry card, I simply write the name and city down in my records and press. If I get a TX DL, I ask if I can write done their DL number. If they say no, I’m not sure if I’ll push it...no one has refused yet. If they say yes, I just write down the last 4 numbers.

I used to ask for a Bill of Sale, but don’t any longer.

YMMV
    You hadn't sold to me then.

Do you give them your ID? Any time someone mentions wanting to see ID, that is the first question I ask - "are you willing to provide me with your ID?"

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    You're welcome....but then you proceed to get condescending yourself. Kind of odd.

The difference for vehicles/trailers is registration. And that's not an insignificant difference.

I didn’t mean to be condescending...but maybe a bit antagonistic and obviously a failed attempt at humor...

When I used to ask for a BOS, I always advertised it as a condition of sale up front. I never had anyone respond negatively, and I always saw it as a simple thing, no different than saying the price was “firm”, and it was what it was.

But I’ve seen some folks berated here for asking for one, which is their right to ask as seller. Add that to the pre-warning/anticipatory posts prior to mine, and I guess I just went in a bit hot on my post. My bad.

As far as the observation on the trailers...fair point. I only needed the BOS to register my trailer...unless someone challenged ownership of it.

Hypothetical question...your coworker offers to sell you a rifle for cash. You buy it. A couple months later, he gets in a jam and needs money. He calls the cops and says you stole the gun from him. He still has his receipt from Academy from when he bought it. You have no receipt, no witness of the transaction. They roll up and ask you if you have the gun.

Or is this something that simply couldn’t happen?

I don’t buy the answer “possession is 9/10ths”. If this were a rule, no stolen property would ever be recovered.

Sorry if I was being mean or rude or condescending to anyone...definitely not a good way to be.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    You may want to check your facts on age to purchase a handgun private party

and you do not need to confirm anything all you need to do is not have knowledge that the buyer is not able to buy.

Of age here means they must be 21 or older for a handgun sale. How you confirm that is your business but if they are of any questionable age you will need to see a DL or some paperwork showing age. If you sell a gun to someone not legally able to own it, it could come back to bite your bottom.

This site will argue all day about a bill of sale. I can only tell you what I do at risk of a flamethrowing incident, I use a bill of sale. Darn, that was a hot flamethrower. I don't care what others say of the value. I don't buy or sell without one. That's me, you do whatever you like. You don't legally need a bill of sale in Texas. Nuff said.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    You hadn't sold to me then.

Do you give them your ID? Any time someone mentions wanting to see ID, that is the first question I ask - "are you willing to provide me with your ID?"

Clearly not.

yes, I shared my information with them. Here in Texas, I used the BOS template on the www.texasguntrader.com website.

last several guns I sold were to good friends. I didn't ask for a BOS. Will I in the future? Maybe. Thinking about selling off some guns soon.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom