• 77A093F5-FA16-4A63-B300-7FF74C0674F4.gif
      77A093F5-FA16-4A63-B300-7FF74C0674F4.gif
      4.9 MB · Views: 354

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    "They show me the money I show them the gun we both walk away" does not seem sufficient to me to have complied with the law. You may think it's enough. That's your opinion. We can argue it all day. The original poster can decide for himself how to sell a gun. He can take any opinion that he wants.

Just wondering why your feelings have anything to do with what the law says.

Its not an opinion its the law.

What you choose to believe is an opinion and a wrong one at that.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Why do people push this myth about gun sales.

As a private seller you have no legal obligation to make sure about any info on someone buying a gun from you in TX.

Your only legal obligation is to not KNOW he is not a resident under age or ineligible from owning what you are selling.

Now moral obligation is a separate thing and that is up to you to decide.
    Sorry my friend......but you do have to ensure that they are a resident of TX. You can use your discretion as to age. As to criminal intent..........if the buyer shows up wearing pants below his ass.........that's on you.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Southpaw/SQL, thanks for that info. Appreciate your not getting condescending.

Some of y’all are seriously way too dramatic and emotional in this subject. It’s a freaking internet social media discussion board. Such wailing and gnashing of teeth...makes me think some of you believe a BOS is black, plastic, and made by Glock!

As far as the topic is a BOS, it strikes me as way odd that a BOS is an important document for a lot of reasons for a lot of transactions, but just not for guns.

A buddy who left to go overseas gave me an old 4*7 utility trailer he bought at a yard sale that he’d never registered. I decided to register it so I could use it to haul small loads of dirt, and when I rolled into DMV, they needed a BOS! I had to contact him and have him sign one so I could get tags.

Property transfers between a store and person, you get a receipt (BOS). Get into a dispute about ownership of property, what is supposed to prove ownership? A BOS.

But by some cosmic quirk, a BOS is suddenly an instrument of voodoo and black arts when it comes to guns.

I get they can be forged. I get they are way better if notarized. But the simple fact remains, if the document is beyond dispute (maybe witnessed???), why is it considered less than toilet paper used the mornings after hitting the all you can eat taco bar?

no response needed...but the dramatic ranting is kinda fun to read if you insist!
    A trailer is a registered vehicle just like a car or truck...to be able to transfer ownership and title......the sale must be recorded.

Not even comparable to private gun sales.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Because the law requires it. I can sell you my lawnmower with just cash but not my gun. Are you a law abiding citizen if you don't use reasonable efforts to make sure that you are legally selling a gun? Could you convince a jury if you don't even look at a drivers license and you sell to someone that commits a crime. Good luck with that.
    Let's agree that we don't agree on this. I don't sell guns, ever, but if I did I would probably be a bit more conservative about who I sold to. "They show me the money I show them the gun we both walk away" to me doesn't quite meet the legal requirements of selling a gun in Texas.
    you are flat wrong......you can sell a gun in TX just like a lawnmower.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Bought a rifle several years ago. Met the seller , checked out the rifle, gave him the money and took the rifle. He started to walk away and I stopped him and told him I wanted a receipt ( not a BOS) only because I could prove I bought it and didn't steal it. Just as an in case.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I just did a classic cash and carry sale last night.

Step 1, take payment as described.

Step 2, hand guy the goods in a paper sack from specs.

Step 3, get home in time for dinner before the better half notices the delay.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Just because you want to make up rules does not mean they are part of the law look it up

Sorry my friend......but you do have to ensure that they are a resident of TX. You can use your discretion as to age. As to criminal intent..........if the buyer shows up wearing pants below his ass.........that's on you.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Bought a rifle several years ago. Met the seller , checked out the rifle, gave him the money and took the rifle. He started to walk away and I stopped him and told him I wanted a receipt ( not a BOS) only because I could prove I bought it and didn't steal it. Just as an in case.
    Most sellers..........unless shady gang looking....pants around the ass types....would never sell a firearm and then report it stolen. There may be exceptions. If i were buying something worth more than say.....$2000 I might ask for a receipt. The BOS in my opinion is not needed. If I buy/sell a used gun I record the sale personally so I know how much I paid/received for financial reasons only.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

LOL! Sorry Pops...there really ain't much difference there...

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bill-of-sale.asp

"What Is a Bill of Sale?
    A bill of sale is a document that details in writing a sale of goods or transfer of property from one party to another. A bill of sale serves as legal evidence that full consideration has been provided in a transaction and that the seller has transferred the rights to the assets detailed in the bill of sale to the buyer."

Top Bottom