• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We could do this for hours on end with no valid answers.

Pretty much. There is only an arbitrary number that I think is just subjective to the agent doing the investigation and under what conditions the guns are being sold.

I have heard the number of more than five guns sold within a year, makes you an unlicensed dealer, for many years on various gun forums. I have asked repeatedly for years for any sources from the BATF for a statute on this, but to date, not one person can show me where that is the law regarding being a dealer.

My thoughts? Don't buy guns and then sell them. Keep them! If you sell a gun, NO BOS!

Personally, with the advent of the internet, and gun forums, I don't buy guns as much that end up getting sold because I was not happy with the gun, or that I was disappointed in the way it performed. I do lots more research into guns I'm interested in maybe buying, so there is less potential to have to sell it at a later date.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    So then you are saying your scenario I based my question on is not valid?
    Nope! Didn't say that. You changed the "scenario" by changing the numbers, etc. involved. And evidently you missed my earlier post:
    "We could do this for hours on end with no valid answers." Post #42.
    I don't care to play these "what if" games. I had enough of that from immature students when I was teaching in a public school.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    As for how many, this is the Federal Law:

The term “dealer” means (A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail, (B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or (C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term “licensed dealer” means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

The term “engaged in the business” means—
    as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

As applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “terrorism” means activity, directed against United States persons, which—

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

The term “dealer” means (A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail, (B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or (C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term “licensed dealer” means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;

As applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

The term “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection: Provided, That proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism. For purposes of this paragraph, the term “terrorism” means activity, directed against United States persons, which—
    Thank You! Mr. Renegade!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And under the provisions of those laws, buying and reselling one firearm could be viewed as being an unlicensed gun dealer.

If I see a gun at a gun store, or gun show, buying it and knowing I could resell it at a profit, with that intent, that one gun could be construed as operating as a dealer.

IMO, one gun would be hard to prove intent, but unless I'm mistaken they have arrested on such grounds before. Where they went from there, I have no idea.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Sadly, the ATF has been known to use this in its most possible restrictive interpretation.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Where is the section that says a BOS makes you immune to criminal prosecution and civil liability?

:laughing::deadhorse:

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    A conviction for buyer or seller who in an individual sale bought a handgun out of his state or sold to one who lived out of his state(even son or daughter) is a felony. I personally won't take that risk even once. If he can't show me a TX ID, I'm not selling. I don't write it down, snap a pic, or anything like that...no paperwork...but I'll be able to testify I saw his TX ID. I'm not losing my gun rights over such a rinky-dink felony. Never had a seller ask for my ID in a FTF...the folded Benjamins seem to help them focus on the sale.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    A conviction for buyer or seller who in an individual sale bought a handgun out of his state or sold to one who lived out of his state(even son or daughter) is a felony. I personally won't take that risk even once. If he can't show me a TX ID, I'm not selling. I don't write it down, snap a pic, or anything like that...no paperwork...but I'll be able to testify I saw his TX ID. I'm not losing my gun rights over such a rinky-dink felony. Never had a seller ask for my ID in a FTF...the folded Benjamins seem to help them focus on the sale.

The law says you cannot knowingly sell to someone out of state. The best way to do this then is to ask no questions, and make it anonymous. Outside of friends, I have no idea who I sold guns to and they have no idea who I am. That is the way I like it.

Once you start questioning someone about their residency, you create a fact pattern suggesting you had reason to believe they might not be a resident. You also risk thy might be able to ID you, and that will not end well if they are prohibited and rat you out.

And yes, their have been plenty of convictions in this regard. There have been zero convictions when both parties remain anonymous. YMMV.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Matter of choice which way one handles it...just as long as one doesn't screw up. When they get into a corner, most folks would give up their mothers to get a plea bargaining deal...there are no "secrets" when their balls are in a vise.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Matter of choice which way one handles it...just as long as one doesn't screw up. When they get into a corner, most folks would give up their mothers to get a plea bargaining deal...there are no "secrets" when their balls are in a vise.

If neither party knows who the other is how can having your balls in a vice change anything.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    There is no guarantee of anonymous. Someone called someone, someone met someone, who copied a license plate? Who saved a phone number? If the gun's used in a crime, or the person who has it is involved in a crime, LEOS start at the manufacturer and can often trace it to where the now seller bought it, or the new buyer tells them how they met you...MANY ways you can be found.

Best is to follow the law carefully, then you haven't broken it...and have nothing to worry about.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There is no guarantee of anonymous. Someone called someone, someone met someone, who copied a license plate? Who saved a phone number? If the gun's used in a crime, or the person who has it is involved in a crime, LEOS start at the manufacturer and can often trace it to where the now seller bought it, or the new buyer tells them how they met you...MANY ways you can be found.

Best is to follow the law carefully, then you haven't broken it...and have nothing to worry about.

There is if done properly at gun shows.

But yeah, nothing is anonymous on the internet unless you have burner everything.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    With security cameras, I wouldn't even count on at gun shows. I like Baretta's old saying "Don't do da crime if you can't do da time." Like I said earlier...matter of choice. When you know the law, and follow the law, then, on your part, no crime exists, no matter who or what the other guy turns out to be/do.

With all the planned changes, a lot of wiggle room will go away quickly...and a lot of folks will just stop dealing. Papers, please...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Simple. You ask if I live in Texas, I hand over money, you hand over gun. Bye.

Top Bottom