• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I am one of those that are fortunate enough to have enough space in the county to set up a range for private use.

What are the legal implications of creating a permanent range for pistol and rifle?

Is there any known issue with the greenies or the fed?

I do not charge anybody to use it, i only allow family and friends to use it so it is not a business.
    Guns International

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't think that there would be any problems. If there are any just tell them that they can't tell you where you make dirt piles and picnic tables on your own land.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would never be caught saying it's a range, just in case a bullet was to leave your property & do some damage. Seems like a lawyer could get more out of you in court if you had built yourself a private range. Them berms were built for jumping a dirt bike would seem to be a better reason.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I helped build a few for friends.
    The most important aspect is bullet containment!!!!!!!!!
    It must be built to contain all down range bullets and ricochets.
    We would build burns 10ft high and 25 ft forward of the back berm.
    Then top is with a corrugated tin top covered by 25 inches if dirt.
    The whole berm needs to be covered with thick plastic to prevent erosion.

Never had any neighbors complain of un-contained lead.
    Noise was another subject all together.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Currently my plan is a 20 foot thick backstop in front of the rice canal which is 30 foot tall and 25 foot tall. I was not plan on putting in side berms but it is something to consider.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    On the issue of side berms let me ask this question. Is your back berm going to be in a place where your activities (shooting into it) could be watched from a road or anywhere else off of your property? If so you might want to build berms that adequately hide what you are doing. Especially if you are using the 'range" for any type of tactical or practical practice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    On the issue of side berms let me ask this question. Is your back berm going to be in a place where your activities (shooting into it) could be watched from a road or anywhere else off of your property? If so you might want to build berms that adequately hide what you are doing. Especially if you are using the 'range" for any type of tactical or practical practice.
    I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense to try and not let some one know what tricks you may or may not have up tour sleeve.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    The only people that can see the range are two of my neighbors and they both use it also. The closest house to the range is 500 yards southeast of the backstop and I am shooting west.

On the west side of the backstop is a elevated rice canal then 300 yards of my hay field then another elevated rice canal then 1/4 mile of rice fields then a road then 4 miles of mixed use fields.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The only people that can see the range are two of my neighbors and they both use it also. The closest house to the range is 500 yards southeast of the backstop and I am shooting west.

On the west side of the backstop is a elevated rice canal then 300 yards of my hay field then another elevated rice canal then 1/4 mile of rice fields then a road then 4 miles of mixed use fields.

Sounds like that will be pretty safe. I've seen public outdoor ranges that have less. High power rifle rounds will be the most concern, as they could easily travel the half mile or so to the road you mentioned. I would make sure everyone used safe range practices. Like you would get from a range officer at a public range. I think when people start to get too nonchalant gun handling is when accidents happen.

Top Bottom