• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yeah, if it were a regular thing then I can see how you might should consider an FFL.

But more to the point from the ATF:
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

Again, stated as not a requirement but a suggested "best practice" to at least check ID.
    "If you decide not to utilize the services of an FFL, examine the purchaser’s identification document to confirm that the person is a resident of your State"

Fact: a firearm bill of sale has never helped anyone, but it has put people in jail. You feel that you need to CYA because you lack knowledge and experience. Let go of your feelings! Don't be like them. Embrace logic and reason, do research, trust input from more experienced people.

Firearm bill of sale is FUDD nonsense, or "universal background check" treason. Step back from your ego and accept that you could be wrong. Then welcome to a bigger world.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm not attempting to change anyone's personal opinion. I'm only stating mine.

Yes, this does look like a hotly contested topic and I had no idea it would be honestly. Really not trying to make any enemies, only engaging in conversation.

I do concur that its not required by Texas or Federal law; I've stated that many times. Someone stated how its best to only provide required info in a legal scenario and I'll have to agree with that statement.

So, on that line I have to reconsider what I thought has been a good practice in the past. I've only done that (sold/purchased a firearm privately) a couple of times over ~20 years so it's not something that happens often.

Good conversations...

Everyone has an opinion, but the facts are indisputable. Not only are BOS not required at the state and Federal levels, but there is absolutely no evidence to support their value whatsoever. In fact, quite the opposite.

But I'm not going to try to sway you from your beliefs, I only urge you to do some real research and make an informed opinion versus what you read on some gun forum. Yes, that requires some work on your part, but Al Gore gave us the Interwebz so we could easily find the facts and make an informed decision on a matter. Not opinions, but actual facts from legitimate and referenced sources.

The bottom line is that there are two camps when it comes to BOS...those who have done their homework and realize they are useless, and those who haven't done any research other than listen to others' ill-informed opinions on the subject and despite contradicting facts still believe they are a good thing.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    But it Feels good to get a BOS, don't discount feelings we all know how much a part they should play in a business transaction or laws.

Everyone has an opinion, but the facts are indisputable. Not only are BOS not required at the state and Federal levels, but there is absolutely no evidence to support their value whatsoever. In fact, quite the opposite.

But I'm not going to try to sway you from your beliefs, I only urge you to do some real research and make an informed opinion versus what you read on some gun forum. Yes, that requires some work on your part, but Al Gore gave us the Interwebz so we could easily find the facts and make an informed decision on a matter. Not opinions, but actual facts from legitimate and referenced sources.

The bottom line is that there are two camps when it comes to BOS...those who have done their homework and realize they are useless, and those who haven't done any research other than listen to others' ill-informed opinions on the subject and despite contradicting facts still believe they are a good thing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And that, should end your posts on the subject.
    As it should end any others who disagree.

But, it's the internet.
    More to come, I imagine.
    giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
      giphy.gif
      771.7 KB · Views: 238

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    no we need people to quit asking for BOS and the foolish places that recommend them slapped.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    FIFY. BOS is like religion and should be verboten, except in classifieds, where it can only be mentioned as a term/condition of sale.

The topic is a dumpster fire every single time it comes up.

I feel that we have a duty to educate these "church of bill of sale" people. They aren't just harming themselves. Most of them aren't evil, rather they have been fed bad info.

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Texas Gun Trader is obsessed with a BOS even with a CHL. I'm not saying everyone does it but the majority do.

Even the classified ads here have sellers asking for a BOS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Do any of you have a problem showing your LTC/CHL to a seller? I'm not talking about letting them copy it or write any info down from it. Just showing it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Do any of you have a problem showing your LTC/CHL to a seller? I'm not talking about letting them copy it or write any info down from it. Just showing it.

I do not. The seller isn’t going to retain any info, though.

If the seller is adamant about a BOS, and I absolutely have to have the gun, I’d recommend a FFL transfer at net zero cost to me.

I’ve yet to need something that badly from a private party.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I would not want to show it without the address covered due to letting a possible dishonest person know I have guns and where I live.

Hell even if he is honest I don't want them to know where I live lol.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would not want to show it without the address covered due to letting a possible dishonest person know I have guns and where I live.

Hell even if he is honest I don't want them to know where I live lol.

Wait, you don't want someone you are buying/selling a gun from/to, to know that you have guns?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

I would not ask for it, or offer it. But I would not let it be a show stopper. Again, doing anything beyond what the law requires is asking for trouble.

Top Bottom