• 259A30E3-FCD8-4760-85E7-7CCBB991E11B.png
      259A30E3-FCD8-4760-85E7-7CCBB991E11B.png
      107 KB · Views: 376

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    A little late for serious input apparently. Somewhere between page 7 and 13 the thread went to poopie something and BOS for cows.

Counterfeit pen: used for detecting counterfeit bills, but funny to say it that way. Incidentally, one of our other businesses received a counterfeit $100 bill. The receptionist took it. She used the pen and it passed. So she gave them $88 in change and merchandise. Turned out they washed a $5 bill so the paper was real currency paper and the pen doesn't detect it. Was obvious to me, but not to the receptionist. Didn't penalize her for the loss since she followed procedure.

Universal checks (I think that's what the thread started on): I'm in favor of all or none. Why do I have to do checks and private people don't? No logic. Either we all do them or nobody does them. If we're restricted to intrastate sales of handguns, isn't there something about the feds staying out of intrastate commerce? Isn't that a state issue then? Supposedly most guns used in crimes are bought privately or stolen (bought from people who stole them). It'd be curious if dealers didn't have to do checks how many bangers would just buy their pieces from dealers. So maybe 4473s/BC work? Incidentally, we offer "private party transfers" so if you're selling a gun to someone, just like a $25 transfer fee, we can do the check for you. There's even a box to check on the form for us near where the dealers sign it. While the BOS is BS for liability, if you show that you paid to do a 4473/BC, you could easily claim that you exercised the same due diligence required of any dealer and the buyer could have just as well bought from the store. Or just require a LTC and they'd skip NICS anyway.

It doesn't help with the anonymity, but to the extent so many on here are worried about liability after the sale, this version does insulate you from liability. The BOS just shows you sold it.

The BCheck is as inconsistent as most GCA or NFA rules. A bullpup and a SBR of the same length, or AR pistol and SBR of the same length. One is restricted, one isn't. ??? You can buy an FN 249S with 10,000 rounds of linked ammo at 18 years old, but you cannot buy a Ruger Mark IV 22lr pistol. You can buy an AR15 at 18 but only if it's completed. You can't buy the receiver that comes with it by itself. You can make an SBR and have it approved in 35 days, but if you buy one already built, it takes 13 months and counting to get it approved. (our form 4s are stretched from 10 to 14 months right now).

Just my 2c. Practicing using paragraphs too. Getting better.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    You could add 100 pages to the current 4473 for lawful gun owners to fill out. It would not decrease the violence at all. If I was a criminal I wouldn't buy a firearm I intended to use to commit crimes from a legal owner. The lawful buyer probably filled out a 4473 and if he sold it to another lawful citizen in a private transaction. He probably remembers who he sold it to if asked by a law enforcement official. What I am going to do is go out on the streets and buy one that was stolen so the last owner is clueless about where it went after being stolen. So how did police officers function before the GCA?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I couldn't tell you the name of anybody I bought a gun from.

I'm sure if I did enough digging, I could find the old emails, PMs, Facebook messages, ect for guns I've sold and bought in the past. That's a lot of digging and would probably require a warrant as I deleted most of those messages and they'd have to go through the site owner to get them. I couldn't tell you a single name though. Location and date, yes. Name, no.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I sold a gun at a show, that I bought new. Over a decade later I got a phone call. Local PD with 2 questions. Did I remember a name? Not hardly. Did I want it back? Nope, I'd already been paid.
    I learned that if I had a name it would have changed nothing. Nobody called me until all the legal crap was over. And don't ever try to tell me there is no gun registration in Texas. If you buy it new they will always know. Yes I'll still buy new, but not sell.
    Got a knock on the door some years ago. Two officers from some itty bitty PD there to arrest me for robbing their convenience store. Probably the only store in town. They had recovered my P/U from a ditch after chase and shootout. I'd traded in my truck months before at a dealer. I received the benefit of the doubt as I had my own badge. What I learned. Trucks do have registration but people bent on doing wrong won't even buy a truck legally. Laws to them are to be avoided.
    Laws that restrict the lawful are flawed from the start.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Counterfeit pen: used for detecting counterfeit bills, but funny to say it that way. Incidentally, one of our other businesses received a counterfeit $100 bill. The receptionist took it. She used the pen and it passed. So she gave them $88 in change and merchandise. Turned out they washed a $5 bill so the paper was real currency paper and the pen doesn't detect it. Was obvious to me, but not to the receptionist. Didn't penalize her for the loss since she followed procedure.

Counterfeit detector pens contain an iodine solution that reacts with starch in wood-based paper to create a black stain. When the solution is applied to the fiber-based paper used in real bills, no discoloration occurs. However, any starch on a bill will give a false positive. A bill that has gone through through laundry, depending on the soaps and bleaches used, could cause it to fail the test when it should be accepted. Also, treating a counterfeit note with a dilute solution of vitamin C will cause a false negative, meaning it will respond to the iodine-based ink as though it were made of the same paper as a valid banknote.

Bottom line is an indication from a counterfeit detector pen that a bill is real or fake is not absolute. Banknotes contain several security features that should also be checked to determine if it is real.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    A little late for serious input apparently. Somewhere between page 7 and 13 the thread went to poopie something and BOS for cows.

Your receptionist is either an idiot or she was in on the scam.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The paper is more complex these days but back a few decades ago at least one of the suppliers of paper to the U.S. Mint sold essentially identical paper to the public.

The paper they sold to the public didn't have the security strip or the sprinkling of colored bits but if you were blindfolded and someone handed you a properly-sized sheet of the stuff, it felt just like real money.

At over a dollar for a single 8.5"x11" sheet it was way too expensive for most uses. The only times I remember anyone actually using it was for resumes. That was back when people actually read through paper documents instead of letting a computer program do the initial screening. Many job-seekers felt that having a CV that felt like money was a subtle psychological advantage.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I sold a gun at a show, that I bought new. Over a decade later I got a phone call. Local PD with 2 questions. Did I remember a name? Not hardly. Did I want it back? Nope, I'd already been paid.
    I learned that if I had a name it would have changed nothing. Nobody called me until all the legal crap was over. And don't ever try to tell me there is no gun registration in Texas. If you buy it new they will always know. Yes I'll still buy new, but not sell.
    Got a knock on the door some years ago. Two officers from some itty bitty PD there to arrest me for robbing their convenience store. Probably the only store in town. They had recovered my P/U from a ditch after chase and shootout. I'd traded in my truck months before at a dealer. I received the benefit of the doubt as I had my own badge. What I learned. Trucks do have registration but people bent on doing wrong won't even buy a truck legally. Laws to them are to be avoided.
    Laws that restrict the lawful are flawed from the start.
    Great post! Long before Oregon had a private sales law, nothing I traded or sold haunted me.

The reality is, with no official registration, no requirements to involve a bos or transfer via dealer, no police or anyone have a case. Fallow the law. By not doing a bos and knowing who you transfer with is legal to own and a resident, you’re good.

Last edited:

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Your receptionist is either an idiot or she was in on the scam.
    In retrospect, maybe the former. It was a 50yo guy and slightly younger girl. They bought a $12 pair of earrings. Paid with a 100. This is before the new blue ink and holographic stripe. The paper felt chemically treated, but she marked it with the pen and it didn't turn black (because it was currency paper). Now, the presidential watermark was different and the micro stripe in the bill said "FIVE" and not "100". Sigh. Good help is hard to find...

However, as a good steward, I made a flyer and passed it around to most of the local businesses (even our competitors) to warn them. We called secret service. Three weeks later they didn't come out for it. We told the story about it to anyone who'd listen.

When watching the video of the people, there was a certain smugness about them. They knew.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom