• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Anyone have experience with them? After I got upset with benchmade, I started looking for alternative, made in the USA brands.

I got a Pro Tech in December of last year. Sharp knife. Seemed like a good one. It's an automatic flip open version. It broke in May. The locking mechanism broke while I was cutting up some round bale netting (hay) that had gotten tangled. The lock no longer worked and the blade could easily be closed by just pushing on it. It would also no longer stay closed. If you closed it by hand, it would just flip back open. So it wouldn't lock open or lock closed.

Sent it back for warranty with the required $15. Haven't carried it much since I got it back, but will use it around the house. Last week I was cutting plastic zip ties off the toys for the grandkids getting ready to wrap them, and the lock broke again. This time it's locked open and won't close.

Either I've got really bad luck, or I wasted a couple of hundred dollars on a Pro Tech. I emailed them over the weekend about another warranty claim. No response yet, but it is the holidays.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I did get an email response asking me if I could see what part of the lock broke by looking at the knife. I sent more photos. I'm sure if I pay another $15, they'll fix it again.

The thing still looks brand new. I guess it's going to become someone's birthday present after it comes back again. I can't trust it.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have looked at that line of knives at House of Blades but never really pulled the trigger. I’ve been happy with my Kershaw’s and Zero Tolerance knives I have purchased from there. I have a couple of the Kershaw Launch series, all auto opening.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    And then people started looking and found political contributions to gun grabbers, IIRC.

Reactions: TXP

Greywarrant

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Round Rock
    I had a Protec godfather years ago. When I first got it I couldn’t stop playing with it because it fired so fast and it was just a whole lot of fun. I never had any problems with anything breaking so I never had to send it for warranty repairs.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I am surprised that they charge for repairs on a $200+ knife. No excuse not to get it right. I wouldn’t trust it either.

If you are looking to replace in the same price range, Southern Grind makes a bomb proof one called the Bad Monkey. Much more beefier than a Bitchmade and a bit bigger than most. If you like a smaller knife, they have a sturdy one called the Spider Monkey.

I like the B/Monkey so much I have 6 of them. Stashed in the house, shop, truck, and to carry.

They retail for $250-275 depending upon blade style and finish, but you can find them for $50 less with a bit of shopping.

2EFC4B68-BFF2-4B73-BA81-67CEA3A094EE.jpeg
    505C5C5B-8245-44BF-BB8A-1F302748DCD7.jpeg

Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    I have had my Pro-Tech Emerson CQC7 for a couple years with no issues. Since it’s a bit bulkier than my Microtech Ultratech it doesn’t get near as much use/abuse but I haven’t had any issues with the lock and it still fires fast. One of my friends has the Protech magic that he uses daily out in the plants and it works great

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Anyone have experience with them? After I got upset with benchmade, I started looking for alternative, made in the USA brands.

I got a Pro Tech in December of last year. Sharp knife. Seemed like a good one. It's an automatic flip open version. It broke in May. The locking mechanism broke while I was cutting up some round bale netting (hay) that had gotten tangled. The lock no longer worked and the blade could easily be closed by just pushing on it. It would also no longer stay closed. If you closed it by hand, it would just flip back open. So it wouldn't lock open or lock closed.

Sent it back for warranty with the required $15. Haven't carried it much since I got it back, but will use it around the house. Last week I was cutting plastic zip ties off the toys for the grandkids getting ready to wrap them, and the lock broke again. This time it's locked open and won't close.

Either I've got really bad luck, or I wasted a couple of hundred dollars on a Pro Tech. I emailed them over the weekend about another warranty claim. No response yet, but it is the holidays.
    I have a Columbia River tanto that I have carried and used for over 20 years. I think they go by CRKT now.

Top Bottom