• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Ok I got this marlin .22 mag last week and it has since found itself to be my under the back seat of my truck gun. The last few days the weather has been bad. Now some surface rust has appeared. No problem. I have it in a gun sock. What kind of oil would be best for low maintenance and rust prevention? Would the rem oil wipes be good for this? It is a blued finish. Would standard hoppes oil or clp work? I haven't tried any yet but just thought I'd ask. For people that have a weapon stored in the vehicle that may stay stored there for weeks at a time what should I use to keep the elements off it?
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I always sprayed remoil on rust prone surfaces and had pretty good luck. Any gun oil should prevent the surface rust if reapplied from time to time.

Hit the surface rust with some fine steel wool before oiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    just enough to remove the surface rust. it should be fine, just don't run the gun on a table-mounted wire wheel.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Alright just came back from academy an bought about 80 bucks worth of stuff. Happens everytime I go in there but I'm sure I got enough to solve my problem lol.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Try using copper wool. It's softer than steel but will cut rust very well. Thsn use a good gun oil, and DON'T keep the gun in a sock if it might get wet again.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Get rid of the rust as advised and then a little LPS3 on a rag and you're done. It is slightly waxy, shake well, and just apply with a cloth. An added benefit, it smells good and keeps rust off for years and years and...

Top Bottom