• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kantor99

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    United States
    I've run into a problem reloading my 45 LCs for my Ruger Vaquero. The problem is that when I put them into the gun, the cylinder spins free but after shooting one, the cylinder is really hard to turn or won't turn. I tried ensuring the new primers were seated flush or below flush but that didn't seem to help. There's plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder. Any suggestions? Thanks

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    You say "There's plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder.", is this before or after you fire the first shoot?

Can you give details on the ammunition, factory or hand loads. If hand loads what bullet weight and powder charge? Tight crimp?

kantor99

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    United States
    I'm hand loading 230 gr cast bullets wwith 5.9 gr Trail Boss. After shooting, there still plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder. Looking carefully, it may be that the primers are backing out slightly after firing. Maybe the load is too light to reseat them?

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    My load is 4.5 grains of Trail Boss behind 250 grain cast bullets, so it's not an exact comparison... has your brass been reloaded enough that the primer pockets could be worn out?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Extremely light loads can result in primer setback. Exhibition and wax-bullet shooters routinely drill out their flash holes. In fact, there are commercial sellers of prepped .45LC brass with such modifications. I think your theory about primers not re-seating is a good one.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Hodgdon shows the range for Trail Boss for a 230 gr bullet to be 5.5 g to 6.5 g, so your load of 5.9 is pretty much mid-range and shouldn't be the problem.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm hand loading 230 gr cast bullets wwith 5.9 gr Trail Boss. After shooting, there still plenty of room between the bullet and the end of the cylinder. Looking carefully, it may be that the primers are backing out slightly after firing. Maybe the load is too light to reseat them?

I've shot very light loads in 45 Colt (for Ruger Vaquero) with no problem with the primers not reseating. I'm just guessing because you didn't state the style of bullet you're using but it sounds as if you're using a Round Nose designed for an auto pistol based on the 230 grain weight. If this is the case it may be that there is no crimp grove causing your crimp to be too light and allowing the bullets to move forward in the cases and jamming the cylinder after the first shot is fired. If the primers are not reseating you should be able to tell just by looking or by feeling the primer of the spent case.

kantor99

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    United States
    I think I'll buy some commercial ammo and see if the same problem develops. If yes, then it's the gun, if not, then it's something I'm doing with the reloads

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I concur with the light loads in a revolver concept. It's a well known issue with revolver handloads. You need the recoil of the round to set the cartridge case back solidly behind the cylinder. Without that setback, the primer comes out and binds up the gun.

Flash

Guntoter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    BFE S. Texas
    This should be fairly easy to isolate. Take the gun to the range, load with problem ammo, fire one shot. Cylinder bound up? Open the loading gate and remove the fired round only. Check for binding. If it's not there then you have a problem with the ammo on the primer and/or pocket side. If still binding, look to bullets having moved forward under recoil.
    Running at least a box or two of Tier 1 (Win., Fed., Hornady,) factory ammo through a new gun is always a good idea. Gives a good baseline for comparison and should the gun come apart you have some recourse through either the gun or ammo manufacturer. Most gunmakers have a clear disclaimer about using reloads in their weapons.
    Any chance you're using Remington brass and/or primers? If so that is probably your culprit. Stuff is soft, thin, varies in tolerances even in the same batch. Find some Federal, Starline, or Winchester brass. Use Federal or CCI primers if possible.
    I've loaded some fairly hot rounds using Federal brass and primers and 2400, Win. 296, etc. and never had a case fail in a NM Blackhawk or Winchester Trapper.
    Good Luck!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom