• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    Purchased a new Taurus G3C about 6-8 weeks ago from Academy along with 150 rounds of Monarch 9mm 115 gr fmj ammo. Took it to the gun range. The ammo would not auto load. Jamed every time so had to shoot one round at a time. I had some old (35-40 years old) Lellier & Bellot with me so I gave that a try. It fired every round flawlessly.

Decided to see if I could determine the problem and a fix with the gun for the Monarch ammo. The bullet entry on the barrel wasn't very smooth. Using a 1/2" sanding burr in my pneumatic grinder, I smoothed the barrel bullet entry and rounded the edge all the way round the entry. Took the gun back to the range and the Monarch ammo loads and fires perfectly now. If anybody has this problem with an auto loader this may be the solution to yours.
    Military Camp

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sad fact is, any warranty you had on the pistol, is probably null and void now. As long as you never have any other problems wit the pistol, you're probably good to go. But what IF there happens to be another issue that arises with it? They could very well refuse to honor the warranty for an unauthorized repair done to the pistol.

Hope it works out for you though.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    Were you using steel-cased ammo? I've never had good function with steel in any Taurus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Yes, steel case. The edge at the bullet feels a tad sharper on the steel vs. brass.
    Sad fact is, any warranty you had on the pistol, is probably null and void now. As long as you never have any other problems wit the pistol, you're probably good to go. But what IF there happens to be another issue that arises with it? They could very well refuse to honor the warranty for an unauthorized repair done to the pistol.

Hope it works out for you though.
    You are probably right if they detect what I did. It's really barely noticeable.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yes, steel case. The edge at the bullet feels a tad sharper on the steel vs. brass.
    You are probably right if they detect what I did. It's really barely noticeable.

I can't remember what the warranty is on Taurus products.

My advice is, if it's still under warranty, let the factory try and make the repairs, if possible.

It the warranty has expired, go for it. Simply because they are going to charge you for repairs if the warranty has expired anyways. No harm, no foul I say.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    I can't remember what the warranty is on Taurus products.

My advice is, if it's still under warranty, let the factory try and make the repairs, if possible.

It the warranty has expired, go for it. Simply because they are going to charge you for repairs if the warranty has expired anyways. No harm, no foul I say.
    Taurus offers a lifetime warranty on all their guns. I just couldn't see shipping it back and waiting for 8 weeks or more to get it back when it only took me 5 minutes to fix the problem. Not including disasembly and reassembly. If my warranty should become void then so be it. However, it works great now and I don't plan to shot it that much especially with the price of ammo and mostly non-existent. May never even need the warranty. It's mostly for home defense. Maybe other ammo would have jammed too other than my old that worked fine. I just wanted it reliable regardless of what ammo I had in it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Taurus offers a lifetime warranty on all their guns. I just couldn't see shipping it back and waiting for 8 weeks or more to get it back when it only took me 5 minutes to fix the problem. Not including disasembly and reassembly. If my warranty should become void then so be it. However, it works great now and I don't plan to shot it that much especially with the price of ammo and mostly non-existent. May never even need the warranty. It's mostly for home defense. Maybe other ammo would have jammed too other than my old that worked fine. I just wanted it reliable regardless of what ammo I had in it.

Just a speculation. Unless the barrel itself is the reason the pistol needs to go back for a warranty problem, it probably would be a non-issue anyways.

I'd read the warranty and see what it says, word for word.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    If it was just a ramp polish, then warranty is still valid. There are a few posts over at Taurusarmed, where the CS rep said it was fine to polish the feed ramp without issue, as long as you didn't go overboard and grind the crap out of it. I have done the same thing with my G2C and G3, I didn't have any issues, just gave it a slight polish for just in case. Before I polished the ramp, I fired a lot of different ammo through them with no issue, including steel cased and aluminum cased.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    If it was just a ramp polish, then warranty is still valid. There are a few posts over at Taurusarmed, where the CS rep said it was fine to polish the feed ramp without issue, as long as you didn't go overboard and grind the crap out of it. I have done the same thing with my G2C and G3, I didn't have any issues, just gave it a slight polish for just in case. Before I polished the ramp, I fired a lot of different ammo through them with no issue, including steel cased and aluminum cased.
    Good to know! Thanks! And like you I just polished it so it became smooth with edges slightly rounded. No real removal of medal.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I doubt smoothing the feed ramp would void a factory warranty.
    I have owned a few pistols that did not feed every time. I have found that during the break-in stage using a little more lubricant helps the slide operate more freely. After 500 or 600 rounds, things generally return to normal.
    On the other hand I never shoot anything but brass cased ammo. For the majority of my firearms the ammo is my reloads.
    Another thing to check is to see if any lettering is stamped on the top of the barrel at the chamber. I had a Colt years ago that had the pistol's caliber stamped on the top of the barrel at the chamber. It did not feed very well. A gunsmith friend determined the stamp had caused my chamber to be slightly distorted, not perfectly round. A little honing and buffing solved the issue. No more problems.
    Good luck with your Taurus.

Top Bottom