• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I used to reload long time ago with the RCBS press and always been pretty accurate. I been using the LEE press starter kit.

My issue is that the powder dump never stays the same. For example, I'll flip the handle a couple of times and weight the load at 5.5 grains. After 5 or 6 bullets the powder dump will change to 6.1 grains, I have to go back and readjust the charge and it repeats the cycle over. When I had the RCBS, I remember I never had this problem. I replaced the LEE smart powder with the Hornady powder and it still does it. I basically have to double check each bullet to make sure I do not go over the max charge listed in the book.

I'm using A#5 for my powder.

Any idea what is the cause of the problem? I also used the LEE scale but end up getting a electronic scale.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    When you say the Hornady powder, do you mean you switched to a Hornady powder measure?

A couple of things that people generally try are as follows.

1) Ground the powder measure
    2) Clean the measure inside and out with rubbing alcohol
    3) Discharge static by rubbing the entire measure with a *used* dryer sheet

The only other thing i have personally experimented with and seen some results is adding a baffle, but your Hornady measure should already have one.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    When you say the Hornady powder, do you mean you switched to a Hornady powder measure?

A couple of things that people generally try are as follows.

1) Ground the powder measure
    2) Clean the measure inside and out with rubbing alcohol
    3) Discharge static by rubbing the entire measure with a *used* dryer sheet

The only other thing i have personally experimented with and seen some results is adding a baffle, but your Hornady measure should already have one.

Yes I meant hronday powder measure. I mount the powder measure on the press instead on the wood bench. Will that have anything to do with it?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you cleaned your dispensers? Any oil on the tumbler will cause them to dump strange charges. Clean and dry is the way to go.

You also will have better luck if you flip the handle the same way every time. I am usually a bit agressive but consistant.

I have never used a Lee powder dispenser. I did have a Hornady dispenser on my LnL AP press. I ended up mounting my RCBS dispenser on there and had much more consistant charges. I tried the Hornady dispenser a couple different times but always ended up back with the RCBS on my press.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do I need this for the pistol?
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Handgun Rotor Metering Assembly

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    My Hornady is consistent. But you will want the handgun meter instead of the rifle meter. It has a smaller diameter plunger. If you are using the rifle meter to drop less than 10 grains, it will have a bit of variation.

MAKE SURE TO READ DIRECTIONS ON TAKING THAT THING OUT! I screwed up two because I forgot how.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ok. I took the powder apart and cleaned it with alcohol and blew it out, wipe it down with the dryer sheet. I put the mounting arm back on and noticed that the meter was hitting the mounting arm. I grind down the mounting arm so there is appox 1/16 in space between the metering arm and bracket. I am now getting better consisting numbers appox .1-.2 difference compared to .5 to 1.0. So I think the whole problem was the arm hitting the bracket, throwing off the numbers

Top Bottom