• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I used to reload long time ago with the RCBS press and always been pretty accurate. I been using the LEE press starter kit.

My issue is that the powder dump never stays the same. For example, I'll flip the handle a couple of times and weight the load at 5.5 grains. After 5 or 6 bullets the powder dump will change to 6.1 grains, I have to go back and readjust the charge and it repeats the cycle over. When I had the RCBS, I remember I never had this problem. I replaced the LEE smart powder with the Hornady powder and it still does it. I basically have to double check each bullet to make sure I do not go over the max charge listed in the book.

I'm using A#5 for my powder.

Any idea what is the cause of the problem? I also used the LEE scale but end up getting a electronic scale.
    Capitol Armory ad

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    When you say the Hornady powder, do you mean you switched to a Hornady powder measure?

A couple of things that people generally try are as follows.

1) Ground the powder measure
    2) Clean the measure inside and out with rubbing alcohol
    3) Discharge static by rubbing the entire measure with a *used* dryer sheet

The only other thing i have personally experimented with and seen some results is adding a baffle, but your Hornady measure should already have one.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    When you say the Hornady powder, do you mean you switched to a Hornady powder measure?

A couple of things that people generally try are as follows.

1) Ground the powder measure
    2) Clean the measure inside and out with rubbing alcohol
    3) Discharge static by rubbing the entire measure with a *used* dryer sheet

The only other thing i have personally experimented with and seen some results is adding a baffle, but your Hornady measure should already have one.

Yes I meant hronday powder measure. I mount the powder measure on the press instead on the wood bench. Will that have anything to do with it?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you cleaned your dispensers? Any oil on the tumbler will cause them to dump strange charges. Clean and dry is the way to go.

You also will have better luck if you flip the handle the same way every time. I am usually a bit agressive but consistant.

I have never used a Lee powder dispenser. I did have a Hornady dispenser on my LnL AP press. I ended up mounting my RCBS dispenser on there and had much more consistant charges. I tried the Hornady dispenser a couple different times but always ended up back with the RCBS on my press.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do I need this for the pistol?
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure Handgun Rotor Metering Assembly

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    My Hornady is consistent. But you will want the handgun meter instead of the rifle meter. It has a smaller diameter plunger. If you are using the rifle meter to drop less than 10 grains, it will have a bit of variation.

MAKE SURE TO READ DIRECTIONS ON TAKING THAT THING OUT! I screwed up two because I forgot how.

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ok. I took the powder apart and cleaned it with alcohol and blew it out, wipe it down with the dryer sheet. I put the mounting arm back on and noticed that the meter was hitting the mounting arm. I grind down the mounting arm so there is appox 1/16 in space between the metering arm and bracket. I am now getting better consisting numbers appox .1-.2 difference compared to .5 to 1.0. So I think the whole problem was the arm hitting the bracket, throwing off the numbers

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Personally, I don't care for powder measures affixed directly to a reloading press. My powder measures stand alone. Less possibility of shaking and powder upset or bridging.

The RCBS powder measure works perfectly for ball powders, but tends to "cut" stick powders. The Lee powder measure feels "sloppy" but actually throws accurate charges to +/- .1 grain with stick powders.

If I want a more accurate weight, I charge each case individually using a spoon, powder pan, and a scale, then dump the powder into the case through a powder funnel.

The older I get, the slower I go while reloading.

Good luck to you.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    Hornady powder measures are among the MOST consistent.
    1) The measure comes with the large rifle rotor installed. Did you remove it and install the pistol rotor? You can't get consistency at 5.0gn with a huge shallow cavity that you get with the large rifle rotor. The industry gears everything, including almost all reloading knowledge, for rifles.
    2) Did you take the measure apart and clean all metal parts as directed? You must get rid of ALL anti-rust oils in measure--ALL.
    3) Static has never had any effect on thrown charges that I have ever seen. Kernels of powder stick to the hopper, but that has NO effect on the charge thrown. The rest of the measure is metal and I have never noticed static cling on metal.
    4) Did you run a hopper or two of graphitized powder through it first or simply jump right into trying to use the measure? Both the hopper and metal parts need a slight graphite coating. You can buy a jar of graphite powder and use that.
    5) When you add the powder, do you vibrate/shake the measure a bit to get the powder to settle or just jump into trying to load?
    6) Do you throw at least 10 charges before weighing a charge, thus giving the measure time to equilibrate after a change or just jump into trying to load.
    7) Unless there is damage to the measure, you aren't going to get better results with another measure--read the directions and follow them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I use a lee smart powder measure and found that I can get pretty consistent drops by being consistent myself.

I also learned that I can avoid some of the trouble cause with bumping the bench between dropping loads by leaving the handle in the down position. That way if I bump the table powder can't settle is the measuring reservoir.

It gives me very consistent drops that way, seems it should apply equally to other dispensers.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    1) The powder measure comes with the rifle rotor and metering assembly. Have you installed the CORRECT rotor?
    2) Do you tighten the lock ring on the metering assembly or simply let it bounce around?
    3) Have you shaken the measure a bit to settle the powder and then throw at least 10 throws before even measuring the charge weight?
    4) Have you, as so many said, completely cleaned the measure and all parts? Best to clean with Hornady One-Shot Degreaser and Solid Lube spray. Allow parts to dry. Fill hopper with powdered graphite or graphitized powder and work a full hopper through the measure first.
    All of this is in the manual.

Top Bottom